Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another perfect example of developer entitlement!

DeepOcean

Arcane
I was mildly interested in this, but I'll pass for now.
You were mildly interested, aka you were going pass for now anyway.
Well:
There is no offline mode for Epic Store, so I'm fucked up if I'm having problems with my connection.
I will need to install another launcher, something I don't want to do.
I will need to remember another password, something I don't want to do.
There is no mod support and no massive library of mods, many mods don't use third party sites like Nexus anymore and only use steam, so I'm fucked if I want modding as I will need to wait IF one day Epic store will provide decent mod support.
There are no steam forums, so if I'm having technical problems with a game and the developer is too small to have its own forums, I'm fucked and will have a harder time to fix my shit.
I don't like hypocrisy, I don't trust two face liars that make backroom deals and then pull out games from store where they were already preordering shit like Deep Silver did, so I will be fucked if I support those people.

So, in the end, I don't like being made for a fool and I don't want to do shit I don't want to do and those are the only things Epic Store is about, fucking the consumer so they can steal some developers from Valve, fuck them.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
On a serious note all this could be sign that the game is in terrible state, so take sure cash and have excuse for poor sales. :M

It is supposed to be point about common company people don't give a shit about and has no fanboys.
If choice of buying Metro was between buying it from Wallmart rather than Tesco and you would say you won't buy it because you love Tesco people would look at you like a retard.
It's more like this: in order to buy from Walmart you have to put up a Walmart billboard in your roof, and you are not permitted to criticise the products while in the premises. Since you already have two billboards up in your roof, you can't be arsed putting up a third one, and you don't like the whole "can't tell other customers that this milk tastes like ass" thing, you reach the logical conclusion that they can go fuck themselves.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hey guise, nice gem here:
4A Games developer: If Metro Exodus does not sell on the PC, the next Metro will not come out for it
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/4a-g...t-metro-will-not-come-out-for-it/#more-122360
Last month, Deep Silver announced that Metro Exodus will be a timed-exclusive title on Epic’s digital store for the PC. Obviously, this frustrated a number of PC gamers – with some review bombing both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light on Steam – and on Gameru’s forum, a 4A Games developer has expressed his feelings toward this whole situation.

This 4A Games developer with the nickname “scynet” admitted that it was a sudden decision to announce the timed-exclusive deal with Epic Games only one month prior to the game’s release and that it could cause some inconvenience to players. Scynet also claimed that those that decide to pirate the game would have done so, regardless of this timed-exclusive deal, and those are not the players that the developers target.

However, the developer went one step further and stated that if all PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then the next Metro game (if there is one mind you) will not come out on the PC. Now I’m pretty sure that the developer was exaggerating here but it begs the question; how many PC sales can guarantee the continuation of the Metro franchise on the PC?

Of course, this is the opinion of only one developer and not of the entire studio or the publisher, however it shows how nervous some of 4A Games’ developers actually are. And, to be honest, we all know that the publisher actually makes the final decision. If the publisher wants to release a game on the PC, the developers will either have to develop it or let another team handle that version.

Scynet also stated that 4A Games is currently putting the final touches to the PC version of Metro Exodus, which is currently scheduled for a February 15th release!

We are only true fans if we take on the ass, those guise love consumers so much... I actually recommend people to not buy this shit because dickheads like this don't deserve any money. The guy is so retarded, I liked Metro 2033 and Last Light, they aren't good games but I liked the setting, bought both but I will pirate the shit out of this. He thinking the Call of Duty clones he makes are enough for me to take Epic's bullshit and that I should be glad to take their half assed FPS games as a gift from God or otherwise he won't enlighten us PC gamers with his majesty is so fucking ludicrous.

What is next for Epic, have developers threatening to not release games on the PC if it isn't on the Epic Store? I'm loving such consumer friendly competition we are having here guise.

MlUkyXy.png

Their stance is highly PC-phobic. I thought they valued progressive values.

Perkel

Arcane
It is supposed to be point about common company people don't give a shit about and has no fanboys.
If choice of buying Metro was between buying it from Wallmart rather than Tesco and you would say you won't buy it because you love Tesco people would look at you like a retard.
It's more like this: in order to buy from Walmart you have to put up a Walmart billboard in your roof, and you are not permitted to criticise the products while in the premises. Since you already have two billboards up in your roof, you can't be arsed putting up a third one, and you don't like the whole "can't tell other customers that this milk tastes like ass" thing, you reach the logical conclusion that they can go fuck themselves.

And in order to do that in Tesco you still have to get that billboard on your house so your argument is that you like Tesco billboard more.
Also you can criticize all you want, there are other places far more important and impactful that some store reviews.

Doktor Best

Arcane
"4A Games developer: If Metro Exodus does not sell on the PC, the next Metro will not come out for it"

passerby

Arcane
Well:
There is no offline mode for Epic Store, so I'm fucked up if I'm having problems with my connection.
There is no mod support and no massive library of mods, many mods don't use third party sites like Nexus anymore and only use steam, so I'm fucked if I want modding as I will need to wait IF one day Epic store will provide decent mod support.
There are no steam forums, so if I'm having technical problems with a game and the developer is too small to have its own forums, I'm fucked and will have a harder time to fix my shit.
I don't like hypocrisy, I don't trust two face liars that make backroom deals and then pull out games from store where they were already preordering shit like Deep Silver did, so I will be fucked if I support those people.

So, in the end, I don't like being made for a fool and I don't want to do shit I don't want to do and those are the only things Epic Store is about, fucking the consumer so they can steal some developers from Valve, fuck them.

1) Epic Store is suppossed to be drm free, the games will only have 3rd party drm game publisher wants, so you can always launch an exe without launcher, also offline mode for the launcher itself is confirmed to be coming soon.
2) The game is worth 50$ and 10-20h of your time, but a 2 minutes to install a launcher and register an account, so the game publisher can keep 18% more out of your 50$ is a deal breaker, cool story bro.
3) I don't remember 95% of my passwords, clients and webbrowser remember them for me. For more critical ones I have a backup txt and there is an email recovery. You can remember all your passwords ? Are you autistic savant ?
4) If there will be any mods at all, they'll be on Nexus, or modDB, what's the problem ? You won't be forced to use latest version, if mod author screw something in an update.
5) This one is true, the first complain that makes any sense, but nothing stops publisher from opening their own forum for a game.
6) Cancel you preorder! Oh wait... you don't have one.

I consider it no much better than other popamollers and will wait for a heavy discount on steam 2yr. later, but I wasn't going to pay full price anyway.
If I did care enough to want to buy it full price and support it, than I woldn't mind Epic, I'd be happy that 18% more of my money goes where it should.
I'll consider it, if the games reception proove it's significantly more stalkerish than the previous games, but what was shown so far hasn't convinced me.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
So one of the devs said that if "PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then future Metro games won't come out on PC anymore". Perfectly okay with me. I'm not giving the chinks at Tencent my information or any money.

Fortnite might be hot shit right now and making a lot of money for Epi.....I mean Tencent. But no empire lasts forever and eventually something better will come along and Fortnite will eventually die. And there goes all Epic's money and devs with their exclusive Epic Store games will be fucked.

Holy shit those ruskie devs are fucking retarded

Now I want to know how well those games sold on console

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
"Sir, the customers are pretty upset that they can only buy our game from a platform that won't let them refund or reviews games and probably makes their financial information available to our Chinese friends. How can we regain their goodwill?"

"WE BLACKMAIL THEM!"

waterdeep

Learned
Now the devs are threatening PC players for not installing the chinkbot store and spending money on this game :lol: They made their own bed, now lie in it. It's not like Metro is even a big loss.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Sir, the customers are pretty upset that they can only buy our game from a platform that won't let them refund or reviews games and probably makes their financial information available to our Chinese friends. How can we regain their goodwill?"

"WE BLACKMAIL THEM!"
You can get refunds on Epic Store. People did it. Also they changed the rules after their original ones (max two per year, essentially) got them some backlash, so now the only difference between them and Steam in this regard is that Epic still don't have it as an automated process.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So one of the devs said that if "PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then future Metro games won't come out on PC anymore". Perfectly okay with me. I'm not giving the chinks at Tencent my information or any money.

Fortnite might be hot shit right now and making a lot of money for Epi.....I mean Tencent. But no empire lasts forever and eventually something better will come along and Fortnite will eventually die. And there goes all Epic's money and devs with their exclusive Epic Store games will be fucked.

Holy shit those ruskie devs are fucking retarded

Now I want to know how well those games sold on console
Yeah I wonder how it will sell on consoles. Because I'm pretty sure they will have a massive dip in sales on PC due to the Epic store.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Now the devs are threatening PC players for not installing the chinkbot store and spending money on this game :lol: They made their own bed, now lie in it. It's not like Metro is even a big loss.
Yeah I've got plenty of other games to play. So not getting Metro Exodus won't be a huge loss.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well:

1) Epic Store is suppossed to be drm free, the games will only have 3rd party drm game publisher wants, so you can always launch an exe without launcher, also offline mode for the launcher itself is confirmed to be coming soon.
2) The game is worth 50$ and 10-20h of your time, but a 2 minutes to install a launcher and register an account, so the game publisher can keep 18% more out of your 50$ is a deal breaker, cool story bro.
3) I don't remember 95% of my passwords, clients and webbrowser remember them for me. For more critical ones I have a backup txt and there is an email recovery. You can remember all your passwords ? Are you autistic savant ?
4) If there will be any mods at all, they'll be on Nexus, or modDB, what's the problem ? You won't be forced to use latest version, if mod author screw something in an update.
5) This one is true, the first complain that makes any sense, but nothing stops publisher from opening their own forum for a game.
6) This one is true and if someone consider it no better than other popamollers, it can make a decision of waiting for a heavy discount on steam 2yr. later like I'll do, that much easier, but I wasn't going to pay full price anyway. Cancel you preorder, oh wait... you don't have one.

If I did care enough to want to buy it full price and support it, than I woldn't mind Epic, I'd be happy that 18% more of my money goes where it should.

I don't want to install Chinese state spyware you shill

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Past Metro games were mediocre to poor corridor shooters. Unless this one is somehow transformative I don't see the big loss.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

"WE BLACKMAIL THEM!"
You can get refunds on Epic Store. People did it. Also they changed the rules after their original ones (max two per year, essentially) got them some backlash, so now the only difference between them and Steam in this regard is that Epic still don't have it as an automated process.

Plus they are working on reviews altho it'll be an optional feature for the devs. No idea what exactly they expect. One hundred thousand enraged spergs will descend on the store and review bomb everything open to reviews into the finest powder. Sweeney will be lucky not to receive any real powder in an envelope. Some people take their consumer rights seriously.

As for the info for the Chinks, relax people, they already know.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Publishers and developers are the entitled ones if they think they can do whatever they want and expect potential customers to just go along with it instead of lashing back when they don't like it.

But review bombing here is basically people lashing out that they can't buy their favorite milk in Wallmart and instead they have to go to Tesco which is next door.

It's people lashing out at the milk supplier who promised he'd put his milk on Walmart shelves, but then Tesco bribed him to only supply to them, and people who were expecting it to hit the shelves at Walmart are understandably pissed that the plan has been changed.

Which kinds of show you how those people are retarded if the same product could be bought from store 5m away.
Why they keep advertising it in Wallmart if they sell it only in Tesco then?

Devoidless

Novice
Deep Silver is really shooting themselves in the foot. A full year exclusivity on Epic's client? What do they think is going to happen? I already have two clients (Steam and GoG) on my machines. I really don't want a third one which has nothing of interest to me other than potentially one game.
The bullshit of 'Buy this game or no more games' always pisses me off. Suda51 pulled that same stunt with Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. He released a stripped down game that wasn't anything like the rest of the series and then had the balls to go 'Hey, if you guys don't buy this game you're not going to get the game you actually want.' Ok, that's fine by me. I'm not going to support a game developer that essentially blackmails their main consumer base after the launch of a game. Kickstarter is a thing. Go there and ask politely for money instead of holding a knife to the throat of your IP and going 'Gimme your money or this bastard is dead!'

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Past Metro games were mediocre to poor corridor shooters. Unless this one is somehow transformative I don't see the big loss.
This, I feel like the publisher is drastically overvaluing the franchise. No one really cares about Metro so much that they'll buy the game on a platform they don't want to use because they're desperately afraid of losing future Metro games, and I'm really kind of in awe of the hubris of the suitists who think so.

Perkel

Arcane
Why they keep advertising it in Wallmart if they sell it only in Tesco then?

And if you would see Tesco advertisment in Wallmart you would be so outraged that you would boycot purchase of milk ?
Or you would do what you do any other day and ignore it rolling your eyes ?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[

Plus they are working on reviews altho it'll be an optional feature for the devs. No idea what exactly they expect. One hundred thousand enraged spergs will descend on the store and review bomb everything open to reviews into the finest powder. Sweeney will be lucky not to receive any real powder in an envelope. Some people take their consumer rights seriously.

As for the info for the Chinks, relax people, they already know.
I'm pretty sure whatever review solution they end up implementing, it will require purchasing the game in question. People might be spergs, but that would actually require investing money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom