Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Noita is a magical action roguelite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've created yourself. Explore a variety of environments ranging from coal mines to freezing wastelands while delving deeper in search for unknown mysteries.

• radioactive-vat.png
  • Pixel-based physics: Every pixel in the world is simulated. Burn, explode or melt anything. Swim in the blood of your foes! Enter a simulated world that is more interactive than anything you've seen before.
  • Your own magic: Create new spells as you delve deeper into the caverns. Use magic to crush your enemies and manipulate the world around you.
  • Procedurally generated world: Explore a unique world every time you play. Discover new environments as you adventure deeper.

cover-shooter2.png

• Action roguelite: Death is permanent and always a looming threat. When you die, don’t despair, use what you’ve learned to get further on your next adventure.

Noita is being developed by Nolla Games, a company set up by 3 indie developers, all of whom have worked on their own projects in the past.

The three gents in question are:

Petri Purho
Petri is best known as the creator of Crayon Physics Deluxe. In his youth he also made a lot tiny freeware games. He has also made a bunch of board games, but he hasn't told about it to anyone. So please keep it a secret.

Olli Harjola
Olli released his first commercial game The Swapper in 2013. Besides indie games, he also dabbles in music, live visuals and making programming languages.

Arvi Teikari
Arvi is also known as Hempuli. Over the years he has released a lot of tiny experimental games, so many in fact that he is unaware of all of them. One of the games he remembers making is Environmental Station Alpha. He's currently also working on Baba Is You.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The three gents [devs] in question are:

Arvi Teikari
Arvi is also known as Hempuli. Over the years he has released a lot of tiny experimental games, so many in fact that he is unaware of all of them. One of the games he remembers making is Environmental Station Alpha.

Uh-oh. Hopefully the other two gents can keep him in check.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://devlog.noitagame.com/
Yesterday there was a tiny leak at our office.

Inspired by our leaky roof, I tested adding adhesion to our water simulation. You can see that some of the water “sticks” to the ceiling and then drops off.

tumblr_inline_pmb0l539nR1v3oyft_500.gif

Side effect of the adhesion was that now icicles form in the game. This is a 200x times faster footage of icicles forming.

tumblr_inline_pmb0ksUsTg1v3oyft_400.gif

Of course you can break the icicles. The only problem with the adhesion is that it makes the water simulation 25% slower. It is a very small effect that is barely perceivable, so I don’t know if it justifies the CPU cycles it consumes.

tumblr_inline_pmb0kiCIIz1v3oyft_400.gif

Perkel

Arcane
looks great, really love how interaction happens and how whole things spirals into mayhem.
Also i like how everything doesn't just want you dead but other things dead so you can sort of slip by things when they fight with each other.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That guy's fucking shirt, what a thing to wear to a recorded interview :lol:

Game looks good. I remember noticing it ages ago on steam and it seemed very barebones but all those weapon effects and perks seem interesting.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Looks pretty good.
I am always interested in games that utilize physics to enchance their gameplay systems.
Will wishlist and wait for a proper release though.

When will this bland pixel shit art meme die already?

To be fair considering they are indies, making such a physic's heavy game with good 2D artwort would probably be near impossible for them.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I was just about to write "I'm glad the young'uns will get to experience Liero and bad Euro single player action game design in one package with this one", but I guess Haba beat me to the punch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom