Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hill's 20th anniversary

A horse of course

Nothing past 4 is worth playing, really. I mean some of them are ok, like a supermarket twinkie to a Cheesecake Factory Toffee Banana Delight, but there are probably better horror classics you haven't yet played, like Siren, Fatal Frame or whatever. Shattered Memories in particular is the kind of game people who only liked Silent Hill 2 and tell everyone how much they loved the "psychological horror" will recommend to you.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Anyone here played the P.T. demo? Was it as good as everyone made it out to be or was it just because Kojima & Del Toro made it?

A horse of course

Anyone here played the P.T. demo? Was it as good as everyone made it out to be or was it just because Kojima & Del Toro made it?

I """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""played"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" it on youtube. It's a high-budget version of a PewDiePie-bait walking simulator.

Zenith

Arbiter
Played it just the other day. A new fan remake just popped up less than a month ago. Haven't heard a bad thing about it so I thought it would be an appropriate way to top off 1-4 replay.
Played until the final bit (which is as much as can reasonably be expected without looking shit up) and it's.. nothing? I feel pranked, like the people who expected Gone Home to be a horror game. Seriously, that's it, literally a single corridor with a pinch of pixel-hunting? It's as if a high-budget studio tried to cynically cash-in on the worst horror fads. Take those endless hallway/stairwell games from however long ago, add "collect X things", strip all mechanics, throw some cryptic shit in because Kojima. Result: literally a worse Layers of Fear, which is already bottom-of-the-barrel. And of course the top hit on youtube is a walkthrough, what a surprise.
Thought I was lucky I didn't get spoiled on the game, now I realise there is nothing to spoil.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, when I saw it on YouTube I thought it was literally nothing and the hype is cancerous. It didn't scream Silent Hill to me and it indeed is a high-budget version of the walking simulators.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Codexers aren’t good at playing games per usual.
Hard puzzles are the best you low IQ plebs and LOL at considering the third a hard game, the easiest one and the worst too, basically it suffers of the corridor syndrome typical of console FPS.
The fourth is a good game but too much backtracking kills it.
Fatal Frame series and Siren are highly recommended.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Found old video jerking off the game:

Would be interesting to know why Konami really cancelled PT and how their feud with Kojima really started...

Deflowerer

Arcane
Great interview with the creators of Silent Hill and Fatal Frame.

I don't really lament the loss of it at this point anymore though. The first four were fantastic and the franchise had a good ride. I don't think Kojima knows jackshit about the franchise so I'm glad that shit got canned.

Most of the Silent Hill dev team is long gone from the company, so I don't see any point in resurrecting it.

Beastro

Arcane
Silent Hill 1 was fucking on point with its nightmare-ish shit, despite being on the aging Playstation. Why hasn't any indie dev tried to replicate it yet?

It was scary precisely because of the PSX. The massively cut down draw-distance hidden behind fog wouldn't have existed on a better system.

It's a wonderful example of playing to a systems strengths and that powerful isn't always better.

If only we stilled lived in a time when technical limitations helped channel and focus creativity rather than the mess without limits we're in now. :negative:

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Silent Hill 1 is still my favorite of the series and my favorite survival horror game. The only game that actually scared me without jump scares. It managed to build this unique dark, foreboding atmosphere. And such incredible sound design. Akira Yamaoka's best sound work. Sure, SH2 had more good songs, but the ambient sound design of the first game is unparalleled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom