Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry New Dawn - is now an RPG

Devoidless

Novice
I think we're all down for killing minorities, but we want to do it on our own time and on our own accord. We don't need Ubisoft telling us that these black women are bad.

Enemies lose chunks of HP when shot.
That's what I'm most leery on when it comes to this. Loot shooters along the lines of Borderlines can be fine and dandy, but that seems to run counter to general consensus of Far Cry gameplay. But then again Primal sorta does that too (Though leaning on the "Far Cry is about being semi-sneaky in a sandbox" rather than the run and gun part) and was pretty well liked, so maybe it'll be alright. I've heard level differences can make enemies basically unkillable though which would be some major bullshit and turn me off quite a bit, but I guess it's not that big of a deal for me anyway since Far Cry games are shit I pick up cheap to dick around with anyway.

Devoidless

Novice
I can see it now.
--------
*10 hours into the game*
"Alright, time to shoot this asshole right in the dome."
*Levels .50cal rifle, evens breathing and pulls trigger*
BANG!
*200 damage pops up over the head of the schmuck, he starts to shout and run towards your position*
"What the fuck?"
*Entire base on alert*

Ovg

Cipher
Black stronk wymin you shoot.

...what if I play a white woman, does that still make me raciss or bigoted?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Two black wymmyz beat one black wymmyn in opression game. You need to play as black wymmyn in coop with at least two more to have a chance.

RapineDel

Augur

I found FC3 as a whole to be pretty poor and even worse then 2, but I'd guess most people who enjoyed it like Vaas as a villain and enjoyed the more streamlined open world. Doubt anyone was thinking to hard about the story (who would, it's Far Cry) and just treated it like a bit of fun.

Seriously reaching to be going over a Far Cry story with a magnify glass and acting like people are dumb for "failing to understand it".

Space Nugget

I found FC3 as a whole to be pretty poor and even worse then 2, but I'd guess most people who enjoyed it like Vaas as a villain and enjoyed the more streamlined open world. Doubt anyone was thinking to hard about the story (who would, it's Far Cry) and just treated it like a bit of fun.

Seriously reaching to be going over a Far Cry story with a magnify glass and acting like people are dumb for "failing to understand it".

See how full of it the lead writer was (if you have the time):

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

He's now the lead writer on the next BioShock (as if the series wasn't pretentious enough). :lol:

Edit: added citations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Apparently Far Cry New Yawn is filled to the brim with MT:

All of the progression changes in New Dawn feel like they serve a dark master: microtransactions, which are front and center in the crafting menu. Need more components to upgrade a weapon? Buy a components pack! Can’t wait to unlock that fancy new car? Buy it with Far Cry coins instead! You can even buy extra skill points with money. The in-game economy is more dystopian than anything you find in New Dawn’s irradiated landscape, and even though you can see and do everything the game has to offer with time and patience, the continual reminders that you can skip the grind for a few more bucks just feels gross.

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/far-cry-new-dawn/a-paint-by-numbers-sequel

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently the game is only 8 - 12 hours long. I'm surprised they managed to shove in time saving microtransaction and padding RPG progression into such a short game by Far Cry's standard.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Apparently the game is only 8 - 12 hours long. I'm surprised they managed to shove in time saving microtransaction and padding RPG progression into such a short game by Far Cry's standard.

Because by all accounts it seems to be a glorified FC5 DLC that got blown up just enough so it's not a brand new numbered entry. Hell, fact they're not charging customary $60 for it is a dead giveaway. For all the shit it got Primal at least had fresh setting to work with.

Astral Rag

Arcane
New Dawn isn’t quite so free. Instead, the way you upgrade Prosperity is by collecting ethanol which, conveniently, can only be found at enemy outposts. But you need a lot of it, and there are only a handful of outposts to conquer. The solution Ubisoft came up with is that you can unliberate outposts, and then take them over again fighting even tougher enemies, acquiring more ethanol in the process. Not only does this make zero sense, but it proves to be incredibly tedious. Worse still, it’s not optional; in order to do things like craft high-level weapons, which you need for late-game battles, you’ll have to go through this process a few times.

:lol:

(from polygon's New Yawn review)

Doktor Best

Arcane
New Dawn isn’t quite so free. Instead, the way you upgrade Prosperity is by collecting ethanol which, conveniently, can only be found at enemy outposts. But you need a lot of it, and there are only a handful of outposts to conquer. The solution Ubisoft came up with is that you can unliberate outposts, and then take them over again fighting even tougher enemies, acquiring more ethanol in the process. Not only does this make zero sense, but it proves to be incredibly tedious. Worse still, it’s not optional; in order to do things like craft high-level weapons, which you need for late-game battles, you’ll have to go through this process a few times.

Well they never gave a fuck about world consistency in their games. For example, after death, you respawn at some random location nearby and all the mission goals you've accomplished, the loot you've collected and the unique enemies you've killed remain dead/collected, just as if your PC really dropped dead and respawned a clone ingame somewhere nearby.

This leads to really wonky situations like in Assassins Creed when i killed some Superbaddie by sprinting towards him and simply slashing his throat while all his guard gorillas were nearby. The game prompted a cutscene, completely out of context, in which the protagonist had like 2 minutes of dialogue with the baddie and a super epic takedown of said superbaddie. Then i get ported back into the gameworld only to get raped by the guards because i was completely disoriented. After my death, i simply spawned outside the castle walls with the task being marked as completed. No alarm was sounded, nobody was looking for me.

This shit is appearantly going on in all of their open world games and nobody in the game journalism industry even talks about if for a second. Quite curious, given the fact that they usually babble on about immersion for half of their review text.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

If I ever play the game it will be with Cheat Engine.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In an effort to combat the Highwaymen in New Dawn, a character in the friendly settlement of Prosperity will suggest enlisting the help of Eden's Gate, the remnants of Far Cry 5's cult. They're living off the land in seclusion far to the north, having essentially sworn off technology. They wear animal skins and hunt with bows and arrows. Basically, they've gone prehistoric. On your first attempt to talk with them, you're silently greeted by a masked figure who won't let you in.

Only later, after undertaking a quest to recover a book of Joseph Seed's writings will you be allowed in, again by the masked figure. Joseph Seed's son is running things in Eden's Gate, and later the masked figure, known as The Judge, will become one of your companions.

The Judge never speaks. Attempts to talk to them result in just vague hisses, as if they no longer have a tongue. And when you investigate the bunker on what's left of Dutch's Island, you'll find notes here and there, presumably written during the time your Far Cry 5 character spent with Joseph, trapped underground.

"God tells you," one note reads. "If I listen to you, it's good, and right, and I can help, and I can save people, and make it right, and everything will be okay. If I judge as your judge, the judgment is right and just, the judgment is God's Word. I see now. I am so sorry."

"Please give me a mask I am afraid."

"Thank you Joseph thank you Father."

:greatjob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom