Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
https://pastebin.com/qpNDasmU

Here you have a document with information about the game's dynamic difficulty, weapon damage, enemies health and more. Here's some highlights (I realised about some of them after all my playthroughs):

- Having your reticle shrinked increases your damage and critical hits too.
- Shooting against the body (Torso) of a zombie with a pistol is more worth it than trying to shoot to the head and miss.
- Blowing a zombie's head works with a damage threshold. With pistol only critical hits can achieve that, its more useful to use the shotgun or the magnum if you want to blow a head regularly.
- Flame rounds don't only inflict damage per impact, they do with the flames too (Burning the enemies). That's why they can kill with one shot a Licker on the floor, but not one on the ceiling (Using acid rounds against them on ceilings and walls is better).
- Knifes are incredibly useful for causing damage, since they cause damage during every frame of their attack animation.

Last edited:
It's meant to simulate taking better aim to hit the zombies' vital spots.

wait

Overall, I think to the extent that he disrupts the player's leisurely exploration he is working as intended and, in my view, well-designed. He introduces an element of unpredictability to your campaign that prevents you from letting your guard down, even on replays and when you know the layout of everything by hand, thus enhancing replayability. I think the unpredictability is good because it amps the tension in the game.

Maybe he was designed to be a little dumber than the other enemies so his appearance isn't an instant "fuck this, going back to the last safe room" sentence to the average player?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope Nemesis uses the old system of dropping interesting items if you decide to stick around and fight him.

That custom pistol (parts) he dropped with the random critical hits effect was rather useful.

RapineDel

Augur
The game started to degrade a bit in quality towards the end. Especially the labs felt rushed. Also the Ada & Leon dialogs where so cheesy... Nonetheless, the police station and surroundings easily made up for this.

And now on to a RE3 Remake please!

Agreed, game takes a bit of a nose dive when you have to start walking around with Ada, gets really linear with too many cutscenes (including turning that gun store owner into something out of The Last of Us), that idiotic chase with the crocodile and playing as Ada walking around with that EMP gun was fairly lame as well.

That being said the Police Station is really high quality and hopefully they approach their next game with that feedback in mind. Keep the story to a minimum, maybe more like Dark Souls where you have to piece together what's going on from notes etc. and they put a stop to the cut scenes. I went in blind, having not played original RE2 for a long time and the highlight of the game for me was Mr X's first appearance. Instead of a forced cut scene he appears without control being taken away and it was probably the scariest and most immersive moment in the game. To follow it up with things like running away from the crocodile in what felt like an arcade sequence was pretty poor.

In a way the game is a bit like RE7 where the baker household is fairly high quality and once we move locations it's just a mixture of mostly linear moments to move the story along. Capcom should stick to their strengths, focus on not one, but 2-3 high quality locations, minimal story so it allows for this and ideally some better puzzles that aren't designed for a 4 year old to be able to breeze through.

Oh, on the topic of best moment in the game, Mr X being on the main floor of the Police Station was very cool as well. I'd seen him walking around from when I was on the top floor but I was sure when I got down there he'd disappear, was pleasantly surprised and I hope if RE8 is next they have something similar to him and expand on it.

A horse of course

wait

It already simulates taking better aim...by making you wait to take better aim. It's an action game with free aim and therefore shouldn't need to abstract the concept of a skilled gunman doing more damage because he's aiming at the correct spot - the player already does this. This is just dumb meta shit that appeals to soulsbabbies and munchkinites.

edit: this is so stupid

The game has a dynamic difficulty that changes based on your actions;
You'll do less damage and take more damage from enemies!
It is based on a score system. and starts at 5,500 score / rank5
5,000 ~ 5,999 = Rank 5
6,000 ~ 6,999 = Rank 6
7,000 ~ 7,999 = Rank 7 and so on.
Dying is -1,000, getting bitten is ~-300, etc.
Shooting enemies, killing them, completing objectives, etc;
Increases your score and the game gets more difficult once you hit the next rank.

Weapon Damage multiplier
Rank 5: x1.0 (base starting rank for standard)
Rank 6: x0.9
Rank 7: x0.8
Rank 8: x0.7
Rank 9: x0.65

Guns lose damage over distance. (Falloff starts at about a small room length)

Body generaly takes 90% damage. limbs seem to behave oddly with damage.
Foot, lower leg, upper leg, lower arm, and upper arm all have seperate hitboxes and sub-hp values to breaking.
Perhaps when a limb is broken it's sub-hp runs out and that limits the damage the shot would have done to the zoms overall HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the moral here is just to only play on hard difficulty? You do that and there are only two possible ranks so it's pretty consistent. Seems much better than the game getting way harder/easier depending on how you're doing.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I'm fine with this bullshit ass randomness if it's kept to easy or normal mode.

It has no place in hard(core) and it definitely feels like damage against zamboobies is totally random.

Viata

Arcane
Shooting enemies, killing them, completing objectives, etc;
Increases your score and the game gets more difficult once you hit the next rank.
Maybe that theory about how if you have too many bullets, the enemies takes longer to die so you can waste more bullets is true.

Machocruz

Arcane
Are you talking about the original RE 3 design or the REmake 2 design? Or both?
Both, if they are going to have Nemesis be a souped up version of REmake 2 Mr X. The corridor design, limited mobility, and jogging speed will not do. If you can't put him down, you have to be able to evade. On a straight, flat path he can overtake you of course, and Jill is no athlete, but you should be able to sprint long enough to break line of sight by turning corners, weaving in and out of/through buildings, duck through small passages, for example. The environment should have more pathways, entry and exit routes, building interiors, obstacles, etc. Light and shadow could be incorporated, but I don't what Nemesis' vision capabilities are, if he can see well in darkness.

His ranged weapons are still a problem, but they can impose some real world limitations. A launcher isn't fool proof. People have survived RPG blasts that landed only a few feet away. And they can miss, Nemesis doesn't have robot aim. Can only fire one at a time, and he shouldn't be lugging around a brace of rounds. By the time he comes with the minigun, the game should have evolved to the point where there are more options to deal with him.

If they keep Nemesis like he was in the original, then none of the above is necessary. But if they are to evolve him, the rest of the game has to evolve too.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Both, if they are going to have Nemesis be a souped up version of REmake 2 Mr X. The corridor design, limited mobility, and jogging speed will not do. If you can't put him down, you have to be able to evade. On a straight, flat path he can overtake you of course, and Jill is no athlete, but you should be able to sprint long enough to break line of sight by turning corners, weaving in and out of/through buildings, duck through small passages, for example. The environment should have more pathways, entry and exit routes, building interiors, obstacles, etc. Light and shadow could be incorporated, but I don't what Nemesis' vision capabilities are, if he can see well in darkness.

I don't know, I hope they find another solution.

For the first time in a Resident Evil game, the zamboos are an actual threat and mostly very well designed enemies. Adding dodges and increasing mobility is going to fuck with that and put the series back on its action trajectory. I'd honestly rather have something similar to the current Mr. X design, but you can beat him with raw firepower and the occasional environmental event.

Hellraiser

Arcane
TBH if they do a RE 3 remake I would prefer they redo the streets entirely and the puzzles, expand the points of interest/interiors since they are underused and rather small. Most of the time you just visit them once and bail.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
If you think that Remake sewers are anything but a huge upgrade over original sewers, then you might wanna consult with your local neurologist.

sullynathan

Arcane
That is stupid, though. What zombie's vital spots? If it was to increase % of critical hit, I could understand that, but increasing damage? That makes no sense.
The head is a vital spot for zombies.
As if that was anything hard to do. My point is how weak those parts are compared to the first half of the game, to the point of it being rushed.
So ignore the shit parts of the original just because and not give credit to the numerous things the remake did?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
While the precinct is clearly the standout location, they're not weak at all. Labs, while a bit short, has some of the strongest puzzles in the game and sewers shine when it comes to clever backtracking.

But yeah, go ahead and shit on considerable improvements over the original. Compulsive autismo logic must be a bitch, my guy.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't know, I hope they find another solution.

For the first time in a Resident Evil game, the zamboos are an actual threat and mostly very well designed enemies. Adding dodges and increasing mobility is going to fuck with that and put the series back on its action trajectory. I'd honestly rather have something similar to the current Mr. X design, but you can beat him with raw firepower and the occasional environmental event.

Even though they are essentially different kinds of games, the main way Cataclysm deals with this is through movement and health mechanics. Sprinting is stamina based, and if you use up all your stamina, you make yourself vulnerable if you run into any enemy. Intelligent stamina management is probably the most important survival tactic in the game, followed by tactical movement. Increased mobility doesn't mean jack if you gas out or move wrong and find yourself surrounded by normals, let alone throw a licker or spitter zombie into the mix. The sprinting is really just to get out of close calls, as regular movement speed is often enough to lose enemies if you can break line of sight, put barriers between you and them. No need for a dodge mechanic, or doing somersaults out of windows like RE4. Also, like RE2make, normal zombies are a threat when you have weak weapons

Some of the other things are already in RE games, some just need expansion.
-You can lose Mr X. by weaving through rooms, but with Nemesis and being out in the city they'd have to multiply this by 10.
-Move slower when injured, making you more liable to get tagged by zombies
-You are already more mobile than the zombies, but they can still surround you if you move wrong.
-Zombies are only a threat in tight spaces, in both RE2 and Cataclysm (assuming you haven't gained a malus to your movement speed). Only often in Cata, a big room can be a tight space because of the sheer number of zombies
-You don't have good mobility in any of the mainline RE games besides 6...and then they gave zombies the ability to hurl themselves at you.

Personally, I wouldn't make Nemesis unstoppable, I would incorporate the risk vs. reward of engage or evade, using resources you could be using for other situations + maybe even risk having other enemies show up on the scene. Everything in Cata can be killed if you have good enough gear and tactics (and stats and skills, not applicable to RE), you have a choice to engage or avoid. So basically it would be as he already is in the original combined with the semi-unscripted nature of new Mr. X.; you can lose him for the moment, but he's still stalking out there in the city.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
not give credit to the numerous things the remake did?
Which are all shit, imo. There is a reason I have not played this game and that is because I find it shit. So why the fuck would I give credit to things I find shit?

The head is a vital spot for zombies.
Only on cutscene or critical hit, otherwise they are mostly just like those zombies from Return of the Living Dead. 10+ bullets on the head(you can easily search youtube videos of this) and still not killing them doesn't makes the head a vital spot.

go ahead and shit on considerable improvements over the original
The original sewers part was shit, improvement in that part means shit because it's not a hard thing to do. But yeah, "new is good, old is bad". :retarded:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The original sewers part was shit, improvement in that part means shit because it's not a hard thing to do. But yeah, "new is good, old is bad".

This, ladies and gentleman, is an actual sentence, spoken by (presumably) a human being.

edit: lmao, this chucklefuck didn't even play the game. Fuck outta here, you retard.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
This, again, is an actual sentence, spoken by what we can assume is a human being.

Swigen

Arbiter
There’s a lot of good discussion in this thread about how to improve this game. I think we can all agree REmake 2 is a “good start” but there’s definitely room for improvement. For example...

- Quick Travel - This game NEEDS a quick travel mechanic, maybe between typewriters. This would greatly alleviate the tedium of constant backtracking for key items.

- Keep Items After You Die - Like Dark Souls, you should be able to keep items you pick up after you die. If I die 9 times at the crane boss I shouldn’t HAVE to pick up the flash grenade, Sub Machine Gun Ammo and blue herb 9 fucking times as well, I mean come on!!!

- Melee Weapons - And I don’t mean these Chinese letter openers that break every 2 seconds, I mean axes, bats, golf clubs, etc. If I run out of ammo shooting the invincible Tyrant, I should have more options beyond running into a room full of lickers.

- Realistic Weapon Damage - If I put a grenade in an enemies mouth it should be MORE effective not LESS.

- Show Special Collectables On The Map - Do it like an Ubisoft game. How am I supposed to know how many Crash Bandicoot statues I have left to shoot if you don’t list ‘em an show them on the damn map?!

- Traveling Merchant - Seriously, where’s all the ammo? If you’re gonna fill your game with bullet sponges then there NEEDS to be a way to buy more ammo.

Other than that it’s a pretty good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom