Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First-person platforming

Zenith

Arbiter
It's great, I love it.
Post best/worst examples.

racofer

Thread Incliner
crazyrobot.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
Worst: Dark Messiah. Grabbing ledges isn't all that consistent and fall damage can't decide between minimal damage or instant unavoidable death.

Space Nugget

Some of the exploration in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games fits the bill.

Best: Mirror's Edge/Dying Light, probably.
Worst: Thi4f, by far.

Zenith

Arbiter
Speaking of Thief and platforming...

(the FM is "Swing", previous videos are from Painkiller, Undying and Afraid of Monsters)

You forgot Half-Life. (Fak U, Residue Processing)
I did include a HL mod, but yeah. I also hear people have a hate-boner for Xen.
Mirror's Edge
What's the word on the second one (aside from EA/SJW/R.Pratchett/Origin client)? First one had potential, but felt a bit too contrived. Sequel was supposed to be "open world", but I don't know wtf that means in this context.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I love platforming in first person video games, especially if it has either mantling like Thief or movement mechanics like Quake or Half-Life where you can turn in the air. Double jumping in Quake 2 engine games is my shit as well.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A Story About My Uncle had some really fun platforming moments. I didn't enjoy the story side of it much though, and never finished it. Always meant to go back to it, but the backlog grows and grows

Master

Arbiter
Half Life 1. It felt really dangerous moving about the facility. And then Xen... Good stuff.

J1M

Arcane
Metroid Prime is one of the best first-person exploration games.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Ultima Underworld. Things have come a long way since then. These days first-person platforming is an assurance of player control next to the increasingly automated third-person platforming.

Spukrian

Savant
A Story About My Uncle had some really fun platforming moments. I didn't enjoy the story side of it much though, and never finished it. Always meant to go back to it, but the backlog grows and grows
I just finished A Story About My Uncle.

This game... lots of good ideas but unfortunately less than ideal execution. You need to pinpoint the exact moment to start running, pinpoint the exact moment to jump, pinpoint the exact moment use the grappling hook, etc... When you fuck up and fall to your death, most of the time you can't tell what you did wrong... or at least I couldn't. But I did finish the game.

I guess A Story About My Uncle influenced Journey To The Savage Planet and I think that's a good thing!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom