Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Sonic Titan

Educated
So I’ve successfully cleared out Aquavia and the Catacombs. I’ve combined the Royal Seal necklace (that I pickpocketed from Smithers after charming him) and King’s Crest to make King Loogmor’s Royal Seal (I think that’s the name?).

Oh and I beat the Jackalope, what a “nice” surprise that fight was until I realize it was vulnerable to charm as well.

Not entirely sure if there’s anything left to do in Crowl at this exact moment so my plan is to brave the Gardens of Midknight next. Unless of course I’ve missed some things?

Efe

Erudite
meh. im trying to open the door in george's.
guess i cant use robbery to boost multiclasses faster :( thought i struck gold with robbery 100 when i got hearth skillbook selling for 37k

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Buying XP is really for the second half of the game. And it's 1 XP for 1 gold, so those 40k wouldn't even give you much.

Better save that money for the armor and weapons you can buy in Kublai Axis.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I was able to keep stealing the same items over and over again from some NPCs. And there are some who can't get mad at you so you can just steal their whole inventory, come back and do it again with a minimal investment in robbery. You can even sell them back the stolen items. I didn't really see the point. Robbery seems to only be good for lifting key items.

Efe

Erudite
step 1: click steal, hold enter 3 seconds.
step 2: sell items 15 seconds. (~50k)
step 3: goto step 1
at 1 to 1 conversion this would be an extremely high amount of xp at this point in the game.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
step 1: click steal, hold enter 3 seconds.
step 2: sell items 15 seconds. (~50k)
step 3: goto step 1
at 1 to 1 conversion this would be an extremely high amount of xp at this point in the game.

I don't know how you can live with yourself stealing from the wholesome, innocent and earnest NPCs of Hyperborea like this. I guess the money makes it worth your while.

Efe

Erudite
they were asking for it, flaunting keys on their person and carrying valuables on their person.
Lady Error error how do i get to kublai axis?

Gunnar

Arbiter

The thing about buying levels with gold is that you can only do it once at each shrine.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Lady Error error how do i get to kublai axis?

Just keep playing and you'll get there. You need to finish the first 20% of the game to get to the open world part.

The thing about buying levels with gold is that you can only do it once at each shrine.

Which is why it is a good idea to mark all shrines on the maps - there aren't that many of them.

1 level or 1 purchase?

At each shrine you can buy one level for one character once.

Efe

Erudite
what do i do with all this gold (or any gold?), donate to crowl's crippled thugs charity?
i need to translate this into some form of staying power because this multiclassing bullshit has left me with very weak magic.
i cant even increase magic skills because i (hopefully correctly) assume i wont be able to use litany with necro after class change.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Buy stuff from NPC's, especially better armor and weapons if they have them.

Multiclassing actually helps increasing magic skills much faster. And why wouldn't you put points into Litany as long as you have a Cleric? This has nothing to do with multiclassing, but your choices.

Are you even sure you will reach the Necro requirements at around Level 7 or 8 with the Cleric?

Efe

Erudite
its not a cleric. if i increase magic skills for every class i would be wasting hell a lot of skill points.
took it from your discussions in one of grimoire discussions.
party is this:
4x Drow Metalsmith - WARRIOR - BERSERK - RANGER - ASSASSIN swapped to warrior after 6 metalsmith. these guys cant do anything right. lethal blow <30. magic skills between 15-25. at least they get to use magic skill except during warrior.
2x Wolfin RANGER - THIEF - BARD - CLERIC - SAGE - these are still rangers at lv7
2x Feyfolk THIEF - BARD - CLERIC - SAGE - THAUM - NECRO - switched to bard at lv6. one is 100 robbery other 100 inspection. starting putting points in arcanum since its usable by all.

that two wolfins are my everything. they kill (100 weapon skill and lethalblow). they heal (works with 0 skill). they scout, etc and get 2-3x skill points drows get. have 30+ scribe and slowly increasing.
feys pick locks and rob merchants and nothing else.
CRAxVtB

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
meh. im trying to open the door in george's.
The Tomb of St. George? Opening it
requires a special item you get from completing another quest.
The person who bestows the key is deceased.
His remains are obtained from an area ruled by another person who is deceased yet alive.
The Lich in the Inner Sanctum of the Cenotaph, who yields
Mistral's remains, which can be
laid to rest in the Catacombs or resurrected.

Jazz_

Arcane
So I've defeated the Samhain Horror at last, but now what? There's a weird locked gate when you take the teleport in that area, how do I open it? I also have the mechano owl but I dunno its purpose/use.

mondblut

Arcane
So I've defeated the Samhain Horror at last, but now what? There's a weird locked gate when you take the teleport in that area, how do I open it? I also have the mechano owl but I dunno its purpose/use.

Set the bird free high in the avian mountains. That place where you're told about breathtaking sights down below, I think. Or was it at the nest the giant egg came from? Then wait for a while.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
at least they get to use magic skill except during warrior.

You can always use magic skills, even during Warrior.

Also, if you start without spellcasters you will have a rough first part of the game - which will only get easier due to the multiclassing.

Efe

Erudite
4x Drow Metalsmith
CRAxVtB

Why?

I could get having one as some freakish larper's whim, but four?? Did you not get the memo that humans and drow in this game don't exist?
i was going to either take the lazy approach and level them all together or keep a seperate charsheet for all.
im lazy.
--
maybe i dont understand how exactly magic ksill works but how could warrior use magic skills when his caster skill is 0, because his casting skill is different from the previous and future planned classes.
so far, from what i've seen spells very very rarely fizzle and skill is used to determine difficulty of enemy saving throws. that warrior isnt going to be able to land a single spell. (unless you meant using him as a healbot)

Outmind

Augur
I started playing RPG's in the late 90s, so this kind of interface is very unintuitive for me. Here are a few questions I'd appreciate the answers to:

1. Have a character with good assaying skill drag the item you want to identify onto the ASSAY icon. If you have the Super ID spell up, you could get more information (click on the information panel of the item to get a second page) or cast it right before looting a chest, and all items will be Identified. Further, they will be scribed into your journal under the list of items found.

2. As above, Identify spell is only for items.

3. That's what mythology does, it reveals the true name of monsters so you will recognize them in the future.

4. Spell-casting classes have specific skills that govern the effectiveness of their magic. Litany is for clerics. Necromancy is for Necromancers. Those professions need to boost up those skills (should be highlighted in purple) respectively, to get the most out of their magic.

5. As above, your offensive spells will be more effective the more points you put into the necessary magic skill. Upward of 20 to 30 points, to increase reliability and damage output. This skill is what matters most, and should be pumped as much as you can afford on each level up.

6. Ancient History is a skill used to decipher certain messages, that you will need to have high enough points, otherwise characters will not be able to read the message.

7. A spell required to bring up a compass goes back to Wizardry. It is the legacy of dungeon crawlers.

Thanks for all the help. I'm definitely getting a better grasp on things.

Two minor things are still puzzling:

1. What should I do when one of the characters "detects something"? I always search for buttons on such squares, but there's rarely one there. Can such squares be anything other than sanctuaries then? If so, how do I make sue of them?

2. In the options menu, there's a setting that's supposed to underline keywords, presumably ones you can ask the NPCs about. None have come up in the dialogues I've had yet. Is this working as intended?

Efe

Erudite
so far things ive found after detection.
you search and find something. you rest and find something. there is a button on wall. it is a safe haven.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thanks for all the help. I'm definitely getting a better grasp on things.

Two minor things are still puzzling:

1. What should I do when one of the characters "detects something"? I always search for buttons on such squares, but there's rarely one there. Can such squares be anything other than sanctuaries then? If so, how do I make sue of them?

2. In the options menu, there's a setting that's supposed to underline keywords, presumably ones you can ask the NPCs about. None have come up in the dialogues I've had yet. Is this working as intended?

When you get the message about a character detecting something, you should click on the LOOK icon. This will reveal more information about the square you are standing on, and might even be crucial to further progress. In dungeons, when the Detect Secrets orb is blinking, sometimes you get a notification as well, since it is tied to a character's Scout skill. Make sure to inspect walls closely, as the bricks or buttons you need to click might not be immediately apparent at first glance.

I have seen some of those keywords underlined occasionally, although this was in the pre-V2 release, and I recall more often in earlier NPC encounters. (Little Rosy, Smithers). Later, I would just cast the Mind Read spell at full power, and that took care of revealing the important keywords.

Last edited:

Outmind

Augur
I'll be sure to hit that look button then, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom