Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To get the extended array one has to beg DU (and hope he's feeling charitable)

Wait. So if I had sucked enough dick I could have been using the kitty button instead of just the doggy by now?

User was nabbed fit

DU's going to start getting ideas like selling the buttons individually as microtransactions.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀██▀▄▄▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░▄▀▀░░░▒▒▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░▐░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░▌▌▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░▄▄▄░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▄▄▄▄░▄░░▌
░░░░▄▀░▄░▐▐▒▒▒▒▒░░░▀░░░░▀░▄▀▐
░░░█░▌░░▌░▐▐▀▄▒▒░░░▒▌██▐░░▌▄▐
░░▐░▐░░░▐░▌▐▐░▒░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░▀▌
░░▌░▌░░░░▌▐▄▀░▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▀▄░░▐
░▐▐░▌░░░░▐▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▄▄▄░░░▌
░▌░░▌▌░░░░▌░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀
░▐░░▌▌░░░░▐░░▌▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▄▄▄▀
░▌▌░▌▌░░░░░▌░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▀▀▀▄
▐░░░▐▐░░░░░▐▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀░▄▀█
▌▌░░░▌▌░░░░░█▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▀░▄▐▄▄
▌░░░░▐▐░░░░░░▀░▐▒▒▒▒▒▄▀░░░▀▀▄▀▌
░░░░░░▌░░░░░▄▀█▄█▄▀▀░▀▄░░░░▀░▀▐
░░░░░░▐░░░░░░░▌░░░░░░▐▐░▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
░░░░░░░█░░░░░▐░░░▌░░░█▀▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
░░░░░░░░▀▄░░▄▄▄▀▐▄▄▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▀

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
With a clear majority of 50.5%, Buttons win.

And with 23.8%, No button of anykind lose decisively.

Stop with the fake news already

svlE6u5.png

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
DU's going to start getting ideas like selling the buttons individually as microtransactions.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀██▀▄▄▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░▄▀▀░░░▒▒▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░▐░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░▌▌▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░▄▄▄░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▄▄▄▄░▄░░▌
░░░░▄▀░▄░▐▐▒▒▒▒▒░░░▀░░░░▀░▄▀▐
░░░█░▌░░▌░▐▐▀▄▒▒░░░▒▌██▐░░▌▄▐
░░▐░▐░░░▐░▌▐▐░▒░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░▀▌
░░▌░▌░░░░▌▐▄▀░▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▀▄░░▐
░▐▐░▌░░░░▐▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▄▄▄░░░▌
░▌░░▌▌░░░░▌░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀
░▐░░▌▌░░░░▐░░▌▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▄▄▄▀
░▌▌░▌▌░░░░░▌░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▀▀▀▄
▐░░░▐▐░░░░░▐▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀░▄▀█
▌▌░░░▌▌░░░░░█▐░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▀░▄▐▄▄
▌░░░░▐▐░░░░░░▀░▐▒▒▒▒▒▄▀░░░▀▀▄▀▌
░░░░░░▌░░░░░▄▀█▄█▄▀▀░▀▄░░░░▀░▀▐
░░░░░░▐░░░░░░░▌░░░░░░▐▐░▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
░░░░░░░█░░░░░▐░░░▌░░░█▀▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
░░░░░░░░▀▄░░▄▄▄▀▐▄▄▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▀

I would rate this "funny".

But I can't.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I found buttons fun at first but I later changed my mind.

I know that the Codex is the Codex and that you will always find a bit of everything here on every level of the spectrum. And I wouldn’t want that part to change because that’s what makes the Codex unique on internet. That means allowing trolls, cynics, extremists, racists, and other mean-spirited morons displaying their insecurities in a red neon sign—I admit I’m guilty of being one such moron at some particular points of my online life.

But one thing that kept everything working together was not the lax moderation but common ground. There were heated disagreements about politics but the same people could also discuss video games (the main raison d’être of this site); disagree about religion but find some common ground on literature. Common ground was what kept the Codex fun for a long time, and the truly extreme that would not find this common ground eventually left because nobody cared about their fatuous contributions.

It’s different these days. I’m not saying that things were better in the old days because that’s just nostalgia—which many outsiders accuse the Codex of. But there has been a change in society and it has affected the Codex: people are more likely to be extreme and less likely to find common ground.

There were circle-jerks before (a fine human tradition) but they usually involved some sort of argumentation. These days, there is a lot less of that. The Codex was never a beacon of intellectual radiance, but disagreement didn’t often get as nasty and stupid as it does today. Expressing disagreement with all the intellectual weight of a rating and optionally some jejune comment became too convenient.

For the longest time I thought of the Codex as the Gaul village from Astérix, with fights erupting frequently, but there was still a sense of camaraderie. The whole thing was twisted but it worked. But then it became nasty and things were a lot less fun. Again, at times I was part of the problem.

I don’t believe that removing the button parade will bring us back to where we were, and that’s because I don’t think the button parade was the cause but a symptom. But removing it is a step in the right direction and we can hopefully change things a bit for the better.

I know I’m naive, but I prefer to be positive. There is too much cynicism going around and I think it has reached unwholesome levels.

Of course, DU might just bring back the buttons next week. Screw this. :D
A brofist post for you mate:
:bro:

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
buttons were better

brofists are fucking boring and like don't offer any avenues for humorous seasonal things like the trump emotes etc

also like having only brofists is a direct hit to the validation of people who post primarily humorous or dissident opinions because nobody will rate their(mine) posts with a brofist but like would have rated it with a funny or a cuck or something of the sort

bring back the buttons please

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
also regarding power of lurkers

the brofist era gave us anus pounder brofisting all the posts - this was like somewhat chuckle worthy "bro" humour

the buttons era gave us manjushuri giving a lot of people a big red heart - this was wholesome and satisfying on a deep human level

mastroego

Arcane
buttons were better

brofists are fucking boring and like don't offer any avenues for humorous seasonal things like the trump emotes etc

also like having only brofists is a direct hit to the validation of people who post primarily humorous or dissident opinions because nobody will rate their(mine) posts with a brofist but like would have rated it with a funny or a cuck or something of the sort

bring back the buttons please
correction, Trumpfists are serious business

Tytus

Arcane
also regarding power of lurkers

the brofist era gave us anus pounder brofisting all the posts - this was like somewhat chuckle worthy "bro" humour

the buttons era gave us manjushuri giving a lot of people a big red heart - this was wholesome and satisfying on a deep human level

lNsJCNc.png

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
nobody cares about your irrelevant and stupid opinion enough to bother changing your mind

especially since such a deeply moronic position can only be the result of a heavily damaged thinking process the cure of which would probably requires extensive therapy or a lobotomy(both of which are outside of the scope of posting ability for most posters here)

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the buttons made brofist alot more valuable resource, and earning them is alot harder.

To earn brofist was quite an effort, that (at least in majority of the case) only real posts contribute to relevant discussion, or a worthy news or something will earn a brofist.

Other low effort post, trolling post, jokes (even a good joke), snarky comments, puns and jests usually get funny buttons instead of brofist.

Of course the system still arent perfect, but it oversaturating the forum with worthless but relevant buttons actually increase the value of actual reputation system we have because it simply distill which posts are really button worthy, and those who are funny, amusing, entertaining, but ultimately don't add anything to the discussion.

I would let the main RPG forums have buttons back, but keep some of public library like the gif topic/image topic which sole reason are quick entertainment brofist only.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Buttons are the equivalent of reddit's karma.

Change my mind.
I prefer to equate both brofists and buttons with facebook or reddit. They both serve to allow the community to apply peer pressure and gets those who seek validation to alter their opinions to become popular or look better in the eyes of others.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I prefer to equate both brofists and buttons with facebook or reddit. They both serve to allow the community to apply peer pressure and gets those who seek validation to alter their opinions to become popular or look better in the eyes of others.
I brofisted this post, in order to validate your opinion.

:martini:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I brofisted this post, in order to validate your opinion.

:martini:
CeBruxZWoAA6RhZ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom