Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I played Earthbound...and I found it to be terrible

Hyperion

Arcane
What is really bad is the inventory system related both to the fight system and the exploration. You have a VERY limited amount of space in your inventory, some of it is for equipped items, so you have additional space to share between healing items and key items you need to proceed. This sucks, it's terrible and there's no reason to implement such a shitty thing in a game. Often you travel to a location only to discover you need the X item you get rid of by storing it with your sister. So backtrack to a town, get the item, backtrack to the location and use it. Sometimes items not needed anymore automatically disappear, but most of the time they don't, and you never know when you need something.

That sounds like Resident Evil, and it's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the game as much. The game ends up becoming backtracking galore.
But for RE having a limited inventory is part of the survival aspect of the game, plus there are boxes everywhere so retrieving an item is never problematic. With Earthbound you'll end up on spending a couple of minutes each time you need to get back something from your sister.
Inventory management used to be a major feature of RPG's. Crawlers are pretty much the only games left that do it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Ness and other characters have psychic powers, but all people act like this is normal [...] but they need to save the world and everyone is ok with it.

Why wouldn't you want the group of kids with mind magic to go save the world instead of staying at school?

The inventory is quite a chore, yes. The ATM and delivery express and stuff try to give it some flavor but you still spend way too much time managing items.

Chrono Trigger is overrated.

kys

You first faggot. I played Chrono Trigger on a shitty emulator in 2005 so it held no nostalgia for me. It's not better than FFVI either.

Oh wait someone mention multiple endings. Doesn't matter. It feels like there is nothing to the game.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I played Chrono Trigger on a shitty emulator in 2005 so it held no nostalgia for me.
Gee, I wonder why you don't see anything special in a game you never bothered to play properly?
It's not better than FFVI either.
Only a retard would try to claim this; they are two distinct flavors of the jRPG confection. Neither could ever fully replace the other.
Oh wait someone mention multiple endings. Doesn't matter. It feels like there is nothing to the game.
Eat shit, mongoloid child.

vota DC

Augur
With zsnes there is a button that speed up Earthbound.
You also get autoresolve against weaker enemies in addition to the fact very weak enemies flee from you so backtracking isn't that terrible.

Thread reminds me that I need to get around to playing Earthbound 3.

But I can't time the rhythm-based combo strikes like... at all. I saw there were romhacks or cheatcodes that supposedly made the combos happen automatically but I could never get it to work. My failure to grasp tis mechanic has actually prevented me from playing it every time I've picked it up.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I have tried to get into Earthbound (and its Famicom predecessor) a few times, not yet with success. Really it's the Charlie Brown art style that kills it for me. I really hate the way this game looks. Which is a shallow reason to not play a game, I admit that. But staring at graphics you despise for hours upon hours is still not ideal.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I have tried Earthbound multiple times and i always give up after a couple of hours.By far one of the least enjoyable JRPG i've played.I found the game to be too childish.I want sex,rape and violence not some random gay kids saving the world.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
alright, read the thread and OP is indeed very retarded.

I did laugh out loud when he brought up as a complaint "that people act like Ness psychic power is normal" what a fucking moron LOL

talk about missing the fucking point

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
earthbound fanboys are insufferable. reminder that most earthbound fanboys evolved into undertale fanboys and make games like YIIK

also earthbound is basically a casualized remake of the far superior mother 1.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like the style and I love the way you automatically win random encounters you're too strong for.

That said EB is one of the very few jRPGs I never finished despite starting it multiple times over the years. The furthest I ever got was past the desert and into some isometric city. Pace is really slow.

Falksi

Arcane
I played it for the first time around 10 years ago, and tbh I just found it boring.

It had some charms and a definite uniqueness about it, but I think I quit around halfway through as it just wasn't grabbing me.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think it's kinda telling that at the most what people will discuss about Earthbound mechanically is the rolling health system and ability to defeat enemies without engaging in combat once you overlevel them. Otherwise it seems to be a whole lot nostalgia driven, how different its setting was compared to usual JRPG fare, kids as protagonists, etc. I guess you could say charm was really the game's main selling point.

vota DC

Augur
All JRPGs are pure faggotry. Anyone who even considers playing an RPG where all the characters are chubby little toddlers in schoolboy outfits is a pedophile.
One of them is a dog. Too bad he leaves the party very soon. My brother stopped playing because that.

Swigen

Arbiter
Earthbound > Elminage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom