Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Rapid-Fire Interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

The Game Informer crew recently visited Obsidian, where they were given an exclusive look at The Outer Worlds. The game is the cover story for the latest issue of Game Informer magazine and will be heavily featured on their website this month. They kicked off their coverage yesterday with a light-hearted "rapid-fire" interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, featuring 131 questions in 12 minutes. Now that it's been uploaded to YouTube, I'll post it here alongside their Outer Worlds "coverage trailer". A more in-depth interview with Tim & Leonard will be published tomorrow.

Apparently there's going to be some new gameplay footage early next week. In the meantime, you might be able to glean some new details from today's episode of the Game Informer podcast. And from the magazine itself, of course.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feargus looks like poor old Vince Neil with short hair:

singer-vince-neil-of-the-band-motley-crue-performs-onstage-during-the-picture-id1047117000

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Where the fuck is our prestigious RPGCODEX interview? Did they cuck out and blacklist us?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Interviewer was bad and forced. (Especially that question about YT comments WTF). But as said I did like Leonard having a strong stance as Lead Writer.

The podcast discussion they (the GI crew) had was much better and today a real interview with Leonard and Tim will release.

Prime Junta

Wow, Feargus has some heavy-duty ojorojo going on. Did they legalise it in CA already?

Vapid

Learned
The problem with all those modern 3d games is they look kinda same-y. If I hadn't known any better, I would probably have mistaken The Outer Worlds for, I don't know, Bioshock Infinite or something.

The picture on the cover of Game Informer is nice, tho.

selkin

Liturgist
The answer to the 60 FPS question is a bit alarming. Tim needs to be up to date, a console game that does not have 60 FPS will fall behind. The only reason id Software's Rage is playable is because it has high FPS. In my opinion.

So either The Outer Worlds will be a great RPG and ppl won't give a fck about the action aspect, or it'll be a great RPG and a great action game as well.

Fairfax

Arcane
From the reddit thread:

Microsoft purchase has no bearing on game.

'Next generation of a throwback RPG.'

Approx 20% of team worked on NV. Approx 3% of team worked on FO1&2.

No 3rd person.

Yes putting gun down.

No radio.

White chocolate is in the game as an enemy (maybe this is just a joke but maybe it's a joke and also an actual thing that's in the game.)

No intelligent aliens, yes alien lifeforms.

There's a day night cycle.

Takes place in our galaxy.

There are 2 'outer worlds' but also moons and dwarf planets and gas giants and space stations and asteroids.

All worlds you travel to have breathable atmosphere. (No needing to get a spacesuit or whatever.)

They are hoping there will be DLC.

There will not be microtransactions.

They're pretty sure there's 4K console support.

Releasing on Steam, PS4 and XBone.

They're 'talking about' NG+.

They're going to look into modding support after shipping.

FTL travel works by getting close to light speed and then 'moving at a discontinuous velocity' to skip past light speed.

Player has to be human.

Physical character creator has presets and sliders. It is possible to make a character that looks like a walking nightmare.

You choose the name of your character; crew members address you as Captain or Boss.

No power armour but there is heavy armour.

You 'effectively' put points into skills at the start of the game, and someone comments on every choice you make.

No morality, yes reputation.

They 'hope' you can beat it without killing anyone. You can beat it having killed everyone.

Joinable factions.

It appears shooting people in different body locations garners an appropriate reaction.

No children in game.

There's hacking, but no minigame.

There's emails in the game but they're not called emails.

Game is funny.

You don't need to have companions.

Each companion has a specific side quest which improves their combat ability.

In Supernova difficulty companions can permanently die.

Companions can't ruin stealth.

You can't romance them because they didn't wanna make romance an option.

Some companions would be 'hard to flirt with.' They declined to answer about whether are the companions were human. Tim's favourite companion is as yet unrevealed. (It's a robot, right? P. sure there's a robot companion.)

They're not yet revealing the name of the spaceship if there is one. You can't upgrade it.

There are laser weapons.

You can't tame any alien creatures, but you can get robots to turn on each other.

They don't have what they're calling 'boss fights' but they have encounters designed to be more difficult.

There's about 24 flaws, you can have 3 in one game, or 4 on hard or 5 on supernova.

Leonard does not believe it contains any fart jokes.

Lots of endings. Ending slides.

They have a solid write up and a couple other ideas for a potential sequel.

No chance of co-op in this or a sequel.

No celebrity cameos in the game at the moment.

Definitely coming out in 2019, Tim Cain guarantees it personally.

The answer to the 60 FPS question is a bit alarming. Tim needs to be up to date, a console game that does not have 60 FPS will fall behind. The only reason id Software's Rage is playable is because it has high FPS. In my opinion.
It's not an Obsidian game if it doesn't have shitty performance.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Obsidian games run fine for the most part. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, South Park, Pillars, KOTOR2 all ran fine for me when they launched, perf-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom