Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe I should just go for a caster cleric or a fighter/paladin then. It doesn't really sound like focusing on melee for a cleric is the best idea. More like I'm making a gimped fighter or paladin with better spellcasting. Which won't be that good compared to a dedicated spellcaster.
You can also be a Inquisitor if you want a better caster than a paladin but better warrior than a cleric.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Inquisitor get divine power which gives them the AB of the fighter for round/level, and if you play Sacred Huntsmaster, you'll get a pet and automatic teamwork feats, which are quite good feats, especially outflank.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Inquisitor get divine power which gives them the AB of the fighter for round/level, and if you play Sacred Huntsmaster, you'll get a pet and automatic teamwork feats, which are quite good feats, especially outflank.
That is not how divine power spell works in Pathfinder. It is a stronger version of Divine Favor. Also Clerics get that spell as well. Inquisitor get more feats and their Bane and other abilities let them be better at combat role than a cleric. Also being a spontaneous caster helps a lot.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
That is not how divine power spell works in Pathfinder. It is a stronger version of Divine Favor. Also Clerics get that spell as well. Inquisitor get more feats and their Bane and other abilities let them be better at combat role than a cleric. Also being a spontaneous caster helps a lot.

Oh yeah, derp, divine power is still very good spell for inquisitors, combined with the bane they can get very high AB, it's a very good "beginner" class IMO.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, its arguably better, boosting both attack and damage (plus Str checks & Str. based skills) by +1 per level, up to +6 AB & Damage at level 18. It also adds an attack at max BAB (which unfortunately doesn't stack with haste).

ArchAngel

Arcane
And after finishing the game with a lvl 19 Paladin I think it is wrong to compare them with Clerics, they should be compared with Fighters and Barbarians. Spellcasting part of paladins sucks a lot and is in no way comparable to what clerics or even inquisitors have to offer.
Their main features are Smite Evil, Lay Hands and Weapon Bond and clerics don't have anything similar (channel energy is not similar to lay hands).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, its arguably better, boosting both attack and damage (plus Str checks & Str. based skills) by +1 per level, up to +6 AB & Damage at level 18. It also adds an attack at max BAB (which unfortunately doesn't stack with haste).
Of course it is better, it is lvl 4 spell :D
And it lasts 1 round per level where Divine Favor is always just 10 rounds.
But it might not be worth using at lvl 7 when you get it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Are critical focus and the ring of reckless courage worth using as they give +4 bonus to confirm critical hits? One of the tiefling heritages gives +2 bonus to confirm critical hits, could be very good for eldritch scion.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's also Adamantine Assasin's Chain with +4 to confirm. But I'm not sure such effects stack.
A Sword Saint adds his Int modifier to crit confirmation (and to AC, initiative, damage).

Regarding racials, I value higher the CMB/CMD bonus or the free bite attack.

Tyroth Gideon

Novice
I recently started playing Pathfinder Kingmaker. I have limited experience with Tabletop/PnP rpgs, but quite like the setting of Pathfinder and have listened to a podcast or two of people playing.

This (unfortunately) seems to be the most viable place to ask/speak of this so here goes.

I like the Aldori defender as a class concept, though not perfect it is fun.

Currently I have a level 3/4 aldori defender, with 2 levels Defender and two rogue. Went rogue for the evasion and wep finesse for free. Had thought of dipping into scaled fist for the Char to AC effect and crane style, but decided against it.

What I plan for the build is to go 8 levels of Aldori defender then go duelist.

The build is inspired by the Three musketeers and the character is even a chaotic good human named Porthos.

I am planning to get the Crane style branch of feats, deflect arrows as well as others. Though it may not be too Ac heavy on its own I am planning for its feats to supplement.

It is not a optimized spread for the ability scores, but I did not want to go neg.

Str 12
Con 11
Dex 16
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 16 (18 with racial bonus)

Any thoughts or advice?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
For dedicated caster cleric I really like idea of Gozreh Ecclesitheurge with Air or Weather Primary domain and Animal secondary, maybe with some archery feats. Animal gives you pet on level 4 and they are crazy on low levels and decent at high. Smilodon or Leopard is better and studier melee then cleric himself even with proper feats. Air gives you ability to put damage spells like Chain Lighting into your non-domain spell slots. You'll be like almost-wizard with kitty and buffs and healing.

Crusader is extra bad for not only loosing one domain, but also one spell slot on every level. Info is nowhere in the game (!) but it makes him worst cleric archetype.
I think I'm going to try that Ecclesitheurge idea out. I should have enough melee support between Amiri, Valerie and Jaethal to get through the early part of the game.
Still sticking with Lawbringer Aasimar since it seems to give the most useful stats and skills for what I want. For stats I'm thinking something like so.
10 STR
13 DEX
14 CON
10 INT
18 WIS
16 CHA
A couple more questions before I start this. Is the first domain you pick on the heritage screen your primary domain? Also, should I get the dodge feat if I'm going primary caster? If not, then I'll probably change DEX around.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why do you need 16 charisma? Better to put points into defensive stats Dex and Con. Have 14 charisma so you can take Selective Channeling.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Why do you need 16 charisma? Better to put points into defensive stats Dex and Con. Have 14 charisma so you can take Selective Channeling.
Persuasion basically but I'll take that into consideration and see what I can do with the extra points.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Persuasion basically but I'll take that into consideration and see what I can do with the extra points.
+1 to a skill and +1 channel energy per rest is not worth losing bonus AC, reflex, life and fort save.
Take into account you will not reach lvl 20 by end of the game so you will only get +4 to stats during the game.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
+1 to a skill and +1 channel energy per rest is not worth losing bonus AC, reflex, life and fort save.
Take into account you will not reach lvl 20 by end of the game so you will only get +4 to stats during the game.
Well I adjusted it and came out to this.
10 STR
14 DEX
16 CON
10 INT
18 WIS
14 CHA

I'm kind of undecided on that CON. Seems a bit high for a dedicated caster. Not sure what else to do with it though.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A couple more questions before I start this. Is the first domain you pick on the heritage screen your primary domain?
Yes, first one you choose is primary and it is really matters for Ecclesitheurge.
If you want to use (decently) arbalet, then DEX could be useful. But CON is pretty good too, since many archers in this game just love to shoot armorless cleric.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well then I think I've narrowed it down to three choices
Build #1
10 STR
14 DEX
16 CON
10 INT
18 WIS
14 CHA
Good WIS and CON. Decent DEX and CHA.

Build #2
10 STR
16 DEX
14 CON
10 INT
18 WIS
14 CHA
Better DEX than 1 and if I change the aasimar subrace to plumekith. I don't have to lose a whole +2 modifier in CON. However, this loses 2 points in persuasion which I'm not fond of, though I guess +5 mobility is decent for not having it as a class skill.

Build #3
10 STR
13 DEX
12 CON
10 INT
20 WIS
14 CHA
The highest WIS I can get for character creation, and this can work with both lawbringer and plumekith, so I can get the bonuses to persuasion or mobility. It is sacrificing a lot for that WIS though.

Daidre

Arcane
Currently I have a level 3/4 aldori defender, with 2 levels Defender and two rogue.
Any thoughts or advice?
I think going 4 level rogue will be more profitable for you. Lvl 3 gives you DEX to DMG for dueling sword and lvl 4 - Debilitating Injury.
I've tried Valerie with 9 Aldori Defender 1 Traditional Monk (for Crane Style) 4 Thug with Weapon Focus -> Dazzling Display -> Shatter Defences -> Dreadful Carnage, and she was pretty sturdy and heavy hitting intimidator tank on Hard.
It fits really good with your big CHA.

Last edited:

Tyroth Gideon

Novice
I went dex to damage by taking slashing grace, though some builds i had looked at for Aldori defender did go 4 rogue.

One thing i found went 3-4 rogue, 4 Aldori defender, 7 Duelist, then the remaining levels spread between AD and/or rogue.

Out of curiosity, do effects which transer say the damage modifier being based off streangth or the scaled fist Cha to AC or Sword Saints Int to AC stack with other effeccts of the same vein, or is it like the item effects, in which they do not stack.

May not of worded it correctly.

Daidre

Arcane
Out of curiosity, do effects which transer say the damage modifier being based off strength or the scaled fist Cha to AC or Sword Saints Int to AC stack with other effeccts of the same vein, or is it like the item effects, in which they do not stack.
I have checked Slashing Grace + Rogue Finesse Training and they do not add up for x2 bonus. Only one of them is enough.
This makes rogue levels bit less attractive for you, but if you main tank for party, then Uncanny Dodge has some decent value too.
Scaled fist Cha to AC and Sword Saints Int to AC do work together for both CHA and INT to AC.
Funny thing, Sword Saint Int to AC and Duelist ability with the same name work together for x2 AC bonus (if they didnt fixed this in some patch).

I do not know what feats you already have, but wanted to add that Outflank is a top tier on all your melee. And Outflank + Combat Reflexes + Seize the Moment is super combo for turning any fight into AOO fest.

user

Savant
Can anyone help me with an Eldritch scion problem?

Tested on a troll with spell combat turned on:
-If I cast a spell at the start of my turn, the character idles for ~5 seconds until the end of the round until he casts the spell (e.g.lightning bolt) and does not attack, until the next turn.
-If I cast it at the end of my turn, the character casts the spell immediately. Also attacks before and after the spell without any idle time.

Seems like something isn't working well. Do I really have to time when I cast the spell in order to not waste any time?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can anyone help me with an Eldritch scion problem?

Tested on a troll with spell combat turned on:
-If I cast a spell at the start of my turn, the character idles for ~5 seconds until the end of the round until he casts the spell (e.g.lightning bolt) and does not attack, until the next turn.
-If I cast it at the end of my turn, the character casts the spell immediately. Also attacks before and after the spell without any idle time.

Seems like something isn't working well. Do I really have to time when I cast the spell in order to not waste any time?
Are you taking into account initiative and if this is first round or some middle of the combat round? Because your #1 could be explained by you losing initiative on start of combat, choosing spell and then waiting for a while until you get your chance to do something.

But when I tested Magus near game release after I got Regongar in my party, I did find them very fiddly and hard to use. So I would guess that choosing when to cast your spell does matter.

Also note that movement for magus makes it so they cannot attack and cast in same round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom