Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing my ace combat retrospective,it is time to move on to the ps2 games.Here is my opinion about ace combat 4.

-EMULATION
The only way to play this game without any annoying graphical glitches is to play in software mode.No matter what settings you fiddle with in hardware mode(direct x or opengl) you will get annoying graphical glitches or missing effects,so just stick to software mode.

-STORY
The game befits from not having any central story line minus "enemy nation invades another country",which will appear in later games.
The story is presented in two forms.

The first are the mission briefings .They are simply solid and basically explain the situation in a very short manner.

The second part of the story is presented by animated cut scenes and it shows the life of a orphaned child living in occupied territory.
This is actually pretty well done.There is no cringe or melodrama,it feels very natural and is a nice way to present and give information about the enemy ace.The voice acting is boring since the narrator uses the same tone for everything.It is quite interesting too see something like this in a ace combat game.,shame the later games don't follow up on this style.

-Quality of the mission briefing screen
The mission briefing itself is boring(no models,can't evens elect enemies) but the after mission briefing is quite nice.It shows your entire movements in form of a red arrow which looks nice.

-Mission variety and gameplay
Well,this takes quite a setback compared to the previous games. 1/3 of the missions are score based missions,another 1/3 are gimmicks and the last third are the actually fun missions.

The score based missions are the worst offenders.You are given this huge map and a lot of targets(more then 80 mostly) and you have to gather the needed amount of points before the time runs out.It doesn't matter which targets you destroy.
This goes directly against ace combat guided mission nature and just fells like somebody made a big map,put a lot units on it and forgot to actually structure it accordingly.
Also,there is way too much ground targets in these missions for a air combat game.
Just not feeling this type of missions as fun or interesting,which is a shame.

The gimmick mission are either annoying or way too easy.Searching for small balloons in a fog without radar is not fun.

The good missions are mostly those focused on air combat,which are rare.

Now i wouldn't mind the mission variety if it also din't remove some stuff from previous games.There are no secret or branching mission whatsoever,which feels like a step back.

The score system is back and now it is much more simpler then ace combat 3.Just destroy a lot of enemies and you get s rank,which is fine by me.

-Planes
Awesome,it builds upon ace combat customization options and planes having designated roles.
Planes roles and subsystems all now combine to make each plane have its own set of identity.Choosing the multi role version of f15 feels actually different and worth it.
And since you can change your second weapon in missions,you don't have to worry about choosing the wrong plane.
Buying planes to unlock them is back,thankfully.
Secondary weapons are mostly missiles and bombs.But their difference is mostly delivery methods and range,which means all weapons are viable which adds nicely to the customization theme they are going with.

--Difficulty
Missiles have been given small but needed speed boost followed by their arc begin more straightforward then ace combat 3 upper lunch arc.They are still somewhat easy to evade,but now they close their distance more quickly and you actually have to dodge them.A nice and needed change.
Enemy planes have their ai reworked.Dome of them will actually change their course if you are getting a lock on them and they are more maneuverable..Also most of them are in a squadron,and they will target you relentlessly.
If you are fighting 3-4 enemies,2 will always be shooting missiles and targeting you,trying to stop you from shooting down their ally.
Air combat is extremely satisfying thank to these changes. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of enemy planes int his game.
Also the game add two difficulties above hard for people who feel the game is easy on hard.They change missile count,enemy behavior,etc.
Ace planes are now hidden on the map and you have to find them,which makes sense.

-Unique stuff and extra content
Fist ace combat game where you don't need to fidle with multiple saves to unlock stuff.All the typical extra modes are back(music,free mission),but they have added a time attack mode as well as having a campaign continue option.You also now the have the option of unlocking plane colors.So plenty of stuff to unlock.

-Overall verdict
A solid game,but i think it is overrated.The mission variety kinda kills any replay ability unfortunately.But i would still recommend to play the game if you are a fan.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Played Zone of Enders 2 Mars for a couple of hours,mediocre game that becomes boring fast,graphics are ok for an old ps2 era game remake but there isn't anything really interesting to keep me going,neither the gameplay nor the story.Not recommended

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
Playing Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Finished Leon campaign A and so far this has turned out to be pretty good. I can't deny that I'm stingy bastard but I don't regret not waiting for discount. Going to play other campaigns. Mean while people interested my start reading Codex impressions in RE2 Remake thread beginning about here.

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished up every level I could in Goldeneye 64 on Secret Agent difficulty (normal difficulty).

The game was pretty challenging, especially in the later levels, but it was pretty fun and satisfying overall when everything came together and I successfully completed the mission. I really liked how you were given a list of objectives to complete but there's no real indication that you're on the right track or anything like that until you get the message saying that you've completed the objective. There's also an interesting sort of push-pull mechanic when it comes to navigating each level. The game wants the player to take their time thoroughly exploring the level, especially since many side objectives are out of the way or just lack any real sort of indication that they're there and also enemy gunfire is pretty dangerous and you can only take so much damage before things start to get shaky. At the same time, the game constantly pushes the player forward through most levels as many of them, though not all, will have enemy guards and soldiers constantly spawn and hunt down the player. This means that the player turtling and defending their position is basically a waste of time in the long run because the stream of enemies will never stop and enemies will often spawn on different sides which forces the player to have to constantly watch their backs as they move forward. Ammo management is also thing on any difficulty that's not the easiest where running out of ammo might become a real problem, although this didn't really start to happen until I reached the second half of the levels. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had playing this game.

13.jpg
22.jpg

11.jpg
24.jpg

Next up I'm playing Parasite Eve II for the Playstation.

Dedup

Augur
I finished the main campaign of Wing Commander 2. It had some difficult missions but nothing too out of control. The main difference from the first game that I had to get used to was enemy fighters with back turrets. When fighting ships with those it was better to break off pursuit when you get their back and try come from a different angle. In this game they also start focusing on the story more with plenty of cutscenes between missions as well as some that happen while you're flying. One thing I didn't remember from when I played this back in the day was what and absolute butthurt asshole you are at through a good portion of the game. It doesn't help that some of your crew mates are pricks to you for most of the game as well. It was kind of weird since I didn't envision the main character being like that at all since he was mostly a blank slate in the first game. So next up is the first Special Operations expansion. I never played those so I'm interested to learn if it's as equally story focused as the main game or if it's more about just briefings and missions.

I had also picked up my old game of Wizardry 1, the Playstation version, that I was playing through an emulator. I'm on floor 10 with characters who range from level 10 to 13, trying to get to Werdna, but either my resources get too low and I chicken out back to town or something disastrous happens and I have to end the run. I'm actually surprised that I haven't had a full party wipe on this floor yet. Basically getting surprised by any group with a breath weapon will fuck up your day since it will probably kill half your party and leave the survivors near death before you can even act. It's also a bitch when you meet up with Vampires who drain two levels on hit. Luckily running from fights has been reliable. But it's been fun so far as this is the first time I've played Wizardry 1 and made significant progress. The other times I've played I got distracted and usually never went much further than floor 3.

I'm also playing Mage's Initiation and have just completed the first task. It's a decent adventure game with nice visuals. The puzzles haven't been too difficult and I don't anticipate anything is going to change as I continue. I do find the game a bit too dark sometimes as for one section I had to turn up the brightness on my TV to find the item I needed, though this may be more an issue with my TV than the game. While I'm enjoying the game I find that the RPG elements are weak and the combat kind of sucks. I think the game might of been better off if they ditched those elements and made a straight up adventure game. One thing regarding the RPG elements I do like is that they made the puzzle points your experience points. I have had the thought in the past that the Quest for Glory series and other Adventure/RPG hybrids would be better off tying character progression to puzzle points than the learn by doing system that had you mindlessly repeating actions to get your skills up.

Krivol

Magister
Just finished <ass Effect with paragon female character and it was ok-ish. Tried to replay with renegade but his dialogue options are just moronic ('I don't like to not be informed!' 'I want to do this!' 'I'm a stupid kiddo!' ) - how they even can consider him to be a spectre? I couldn't get through Eden Prime with this idiot.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Banner Saga 3 the last pat of the er saga.The gameplay is pretty much the same as the previous games with one or two new mechanics put in.graphics,music etc all like in previous games.I felt that the story was a bit weaker than the others games perhaps because they had some budget problems if I recall correctly making this the weakest of the trilogy,still a good game and worth playing if you played the other two.It's a bit short like the other two games,about 10 hours long.Recommended.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Mad Max
I'm 7 hours in and I think it's absolute tosh. It plays just fine, but it would almost be better if it didn't, then I wouldn't stand wasting time on it.
Constant and long cutscenes, shit story, a good chunk of the game is spent standing around holding A while waiting for Max to do something, melee combat boiled down to no skill press-X-for-awesome, fun driving but nothing fun to do with it other than to drive to the next generic busywork location.
thoroughly unsatisfying/10

A Hat in Time
I've only played this for 1.5 hours so far. I found its style instantly adorable, swimming around in the pillows at the starting area was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen in a videogame.
It's very unfortunate that in that time I have only gotten to play one level, re-used multiple times. If the game offers some serious challenge later on I think I will end up liking it a lot.

Resident Evil 5
Playing this co-op with a friend. Perfect game to shit on while still getting a somewhat fun challenge. Comfy garbage.

Playing a bit of alpha centauri off and on which feels like less of a waste of time than most games. I'm just about breaking apart from envy of the multiplayer game going on in the playground.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I just finished a game of ck2 where I almost managed to reform the pagan germanic religions and push back catholicism and orthodoxy out of the northerlands to save odin and thors faithful from being extinguished, that is until my own subjects had me assassinated for daring to not give away my duchies immediately. A lot happened before all of this, like my former liege lord burning germanic pagans alive as heretics, abandoning and betraying the nordic pantheon for catholicism, and even another german pagan lord receiving mjolnir itself and then turning to catholicism but it all ended so anti-climactically.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
fun driving but nothing fun to do with it other than to drive to the next generic busywork location.

I wasn't a fan of the game either, but this is inaccurate. I had most of my fun in the game with the vehicle combat. Dismantling their buggies and shit, or just yanking dudes off the back with the mounted harpoon. It wasn't fucking amazing, but there was more to the driving than you say

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I wasn't a fan of the game either, but this is inaccurate. I had most of my fun in the game with the vehicle combat. Dismantling their buggies and shit, or just yanking dudes off the back with the mounted harpoon. It wasn't fucking amazing, but there was more to the driving than you say

You're right, that part can be somewhat fun and there are some good ideas there, I wish that it did more with them, so far it has not offered enough depth, challenge and reward to be something special. It's for sure the part that has kept me playing for as long as I have, but the fun has mostly ran out of it for me now.

How does the driving develop further into the game?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Just started The summoner. Reached the first town.
I am not impressed so far.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Arma 3. I wish I could run this game better, my PC is too slow and I only get 20-50 FPS depending on what map I am on, what time of day it is and how many enemies there are.
I completed the other big campaign for Arma 3, Apex Protocol, just now. Apex Protocol was made with co-op in mind, but I played it solo. You unfortunately do not get any AI teammates when you play solo. It took me around 6 hours (vanilla campaign should take you around 15-20h). While it wasn't bad, I can't say that it was as interesting or rewarding as the main campaign, The East Wind.
Some guy modded Metal Gear into this game, lol. It can fly, shoot dual gatling guns, HE rockets, AT rockets and even has a cargo mode.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=952560410

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Arma 3. I wish I could run this game better, my PC is too slow and I only get 20-50 FPS depending on what map I am on, what time of day it is and how many enemies there are.
I completed the other big campaign for Arma 3, Apex Protocol, just now. Apex Protocol was made with co-op in mind, but I played it solo. You unfortunately do not get any AI teammates when you play solo. It took me around 6 hours (vanilla campaign should take you around 15-20h). While it wasn't bad, I can't say that it was as interesting or rewarding as the main campaign, The East Wind.
Some guy modded Metal Gear into this game, lol. It can fly, shoot dual gatling guns, HE rockets, AT rockets and even has a cargo mode.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=952560410
yeah, but the wheels are too blocky.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A Hat in Time
I've only played this for 1.5 hours so far. I found its style instantly adorable, swimming around in the pillows at the starting area was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen in a videogame.
It's very unfortunate that in that time I have only gotten to play one level, re-used multiple times. If the game offers some serious challenge later on I think I will end up liking it a lot.

You deserve fair warning then: The base game only has four 'levels' but they're recycled in various ways. IIRC the DLC adds one more.

I had to give up on the second level (a movie set) because I was battling the controls more than the game.

HansDampf

Arcane
I finished CrossCode yesterday. I had complained before about the amount of fetch quests (literally "bring me 3 of X, 5 of Y and 32 of Z") which, thankfully, can be ignored. But it gets better about 1/3 into the game. Instead of grinding they will usually lead to some unique combat scenario, sometimes even a mini dungeon with puzzles, or funny situations like the "hacker". I also really liked the late-game areas, where exploration puzzles are more complicated. The first few areas are pretty boring in comparison.
One thing that never gets good is the crafting/trading system. Don't even bother!

Freddie

Savant
Still playing Resident Evil 2 Remake. I finished A scenarios on standard difficulty (Leon) and hardcore (Claire) doing B-scenario on hardcore run now. Main differences between standard and HC appears to be tougher enemies, but also limited expandability of inventory and while on standard it's viable to finish some boss fights from distance, on HC it's sometimes better to get quite close up and personal. Most effective tactics appears to be clipping through some parts of boss you are fighting. :lol: It's difficult to explain, but it's not as cheesy as it may appear as written.

I'm about halfway on Lean B scenario and so far it doesn't feel that different from A but let's see. What I can say even individually campaigns are short but there are four of them and I have felt they are fun enough to keep me interested. (and there are additional challenges like doing S+ run) and so far game has turned out to be quite a good value for money.

There also appears to be free DLC coming in feb 15th.

Okagron

Prophet
I forgot how smart the AI is in the first F.E.A.R game, this combined with high difficult and it leads to some intense firefights. Wonder why more devs don't use this kind of AI in FPS games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Age of Wonders.

As I've been playing (and replaying) old HoMM 3 user made maps I realized I haven't played anything from after HoMM 3: Armageddon's Blade. Now I remember why; AoW is just more addictive and during the 2000s I played lots of AoW, especially Shadow Magic, and I didn't touch HoMM again until playing some HoMM 5.

But AoW 1 has some glaring faults, though, like OP heroes, far too timid AI, and too vulnerable enemy leaders if Leaders on Map. It's not much of a problem in the campaign so far, but I remember that the only user made maps that were worth playing SP were pure quest maps.
Thankfully SM addressed these problems (well, except the AI still being too timid).

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I forgot how smart the AI is in the first F.E.A.R game, this combined with high difficult and it leads to some intense firefights. Wonder why more devs don't use this kind of AI in FPS games.

Apparently its all dynamic; rather than specifically telling the AI to flank, the AI is told to analyse the environment and use it to their advantage, and it just goes on from there.
FEAR is an amazing FPS. The later games were a bit shit, but the first one is just gold.

Okagron

Prophet
Apparently its all dynamic; rather than specifically telling the AI to flank, the AI is told to analyse the environment and use it to their advantage, and it just goes on from there.
FEAR is an amazing FPS. The later games were a bit shit, but the first one is just gold.
Interesting. They are kind of prone to hide behind weird covers (that leave a large portion of their body exposed), but for the most part they use the enviroment remarkably well. Honestly prefer this type of firefights where the enemies are not fodder, don't win because they have overwhelming odds and do laser accurate shots, but instead by using the enviroment correctly and flanking me.

And yeah, first F.E.A.R game is definitely the best in the series and an excellent FPS.

sullynathan

Arcane
It isn't smart, it does a good illusion making you think it's smart. AI in F.E.A.R. move around a lot and scream what they're doing or what they think you're doing once they've engaged you. In that sense, they have a heightened difficulty compared to most shooters.

Half-Life did something similar years prior to F.E.A.R.

Last edited:

Devoidless

Novice
I just started up Dragon Age: Origins again. I play through it every couple years. It's more or less what I go to when I don't really know what to play and just go into autopilot mode. I think it's held up pretty well over the years.

Tiger

Learned
I just started up Dragon Age: Origins again. I play through it every couple years. It's more or less what I go to when I don't really know what to play and just go into autopilot mode. I think it's held up pretty well over the years.

I plan on doing another playthrough of DAO soon. My default go to comfort game is Banished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom