Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post your RPG ideas. The most creative one wins.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
An RPG where you're a nobody on a forum about RPGs attempting to accumulate as many Brofist experience points as possible in order to level up. Roll initiative, bitches...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
An RPG where I play as the villian, but with a light/dark comedy tone. Something like the first Dungeon Keeper where I get to torture heros's and plant devilish traps. Maybe you get saddled with incompetent minions like Skeletor was in the He-man 80s cartoon (no homo - I watched it for skeletor) which also had a great tone, as did the remake; he was kind of like a level 40 lich that kept losing to a max STR barbarian.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
An RPG set in a world that is too fucked up for the hero(es) to possibly care about. Not just grimdark aesthetics, but retardation, insanity, cowardice and deceit out the ass.

I imagine it would have to be somewhat sandbox-y. Your party is doing their best just to survive and accumulate some riches while they're at it. No Lawful Stupid, no "U haff to keep the balinse" True Neutral, no hurr durr Chaotic Evil, not even "click on the line that gibs most moneyz" Neutral Evil. Even the most seasoned tuffs might be happy to find a safe haven somewhere in the wilds. Camping in the woods is usually preferrable to staying at some inn, no matter how reputable or rundown it looks. Accepting quests usually means money upfront or no go, unless you just stumble on whatever McGuffin you were asked to retrieve. If you join a faction, the faction becomes your life, so you might just want to stay clear of them.

Might be too close to home though.

jungl

Augur
sci fi horror rpg set in a dysaopian future where technology culturally society actually has regressed to a lawless decaying hellhole. Humanity now consists of 8-9ft tall lithe body yet incredibly strong giants that can throw very heavy objects think 400-500 pound easily. And average to midget sized humans with no particular qualities. Your a mormon that lives in a small isolated community and have to go spread your faith. Worlds didnt collapse but its crazy like toxic avenger

Egosphere

Arcane
Then the ranger shoots an arrow into your head, getting an amazing critical, and killing you dead.

Moral of the RPG is nothing matters and nothing would ever change this outcome. Monsters exist to die.

That's depressing. There should be a secret ending, if you uncover all the messages in the spider webs, in which you find and join the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Beastro

Arcane
  • An RPG where you play as a supervillain. The main focus would be the character system and world reactivity (like in Arcanum), so you could RP as different types of villains. The generic warlord, the femme fatale, the shits-and-giggles villain (Mark Hamill's Joker), etc. The graphics would be hand-drawn, in a sort of a Gargoyles or B:TAS Chris Avellone style. I'd call this one "Rule the world!".

serveimage

A strategy RPG where you run an underground webshow about killing people. The more stylish you get with your kills, and the more repulsive victims you pick, the more money you make. For example, sending a suicide bomber to an anime convention, and getting a clear shot of what unfolds, would make you good money, while walking up to a random guy on the street and shooting him in the head wouldn't. Besides the kills, avoiding the police, and the resource management, an important part of the gameplay would be tracking the public opinion of your show and reacting accordingly (e.g. people might start thinking you're a neo nazi if you kill enough jews), and making deals with other media establishments (e.g. if you're planning to squash some furries, you could pay the local news station to show what happened at rainfurrest). I'd call it "Grindhouse".

Now, now enough about your RL hobbies.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
A conspiracy theory roguelike. You create a character, and have to uncover as many hidden truths about the world as possible, while spreading them among the populace, and avoiding Powers That Be. You have plenty of skills at your disposal, from combat to stealth to driving to multiple persuasion options to Detect Hidden Symbolism. The only goal is to reach a high score, which is modified by aforementioned uncovering secrets and spreading knowledge. Alternatively, you can discover complete truth, and reach enlightenment.

The fun part: conspiracies are randomized. Anything is possible. In one game, moon landing may be fake, but in another, there may already be secret CIA bases on its dark side. The various world governments may be controlled by aliens, satanic cults, Jews, illluminati or the reptilians from hollow earth. Are the pyramids a result of extraterrestrial influence, time travel, a forgotten ancient civilization, or are they a mass illusion created for nefarious purposes? Even the existence of various supernatural entities is not guaranteed, or they might be one and the same (so demon aliens are an option). And not every world contains a method of wireless mind control, so that charisma-lowering tin foil hat may not be needed. Sometimes, there will even be conflict between the various factions, so you will occasionally even get help.

I once had a concept for an RPG where the game world was modeled around phrenologist and psychoanalytical concepts. The player would investigate a series of mysterious phenomena which would lead them to gain self-awareness of being a figment of someone's imagination. At that point they would both win and end the game. It was a fun creative exercise, that created some interesting mechanics and settings, but was ultimately too high concept.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
RPG set in past Egypt. There's a brief intro where an archeologist explores the ruins of the game's city. Depending on what you find and how you interpret your findings, you will shape the playing world where your actual will play in. This could be some sort of visual novel intro, or something alongside the lines of Pillars of Eternity's interactive "cutscenes".

Companions would be entirely optional and difficult to acquire, and they would conflict with each other so you can't carry all of them with you. Plus which companions you decide to bring would affect which quests can you get and quest solutions. The latter is something I think isn't very common in RPGs, at least not the ones I have played. I've already played with this idea in the Codex before, but companions would consist of:
  • Female street thief.
  • King's priestess.
  • Belly dancer, fuck historical accuracy.
  • Male King's guard.
  • A slave you can set free, male or female, young or old.
  • A stray dog that turns out to be Anubis and unlocks a different ending.
  • A snake.
  • A cursed mummy. His companion quest would be about retrieving suitable organs for him from those who betrayed him in the past.
  • You can pick up a talking scarab amulet.
Regarding the main quest itself, after finding out the King is ill you are expected to cure him or else rot in prison to avoid spreading the truth.

Combat would be tactical turn-based with ACTUAL tactics. You would have destroyable environments and you could interact with environments in different ways (move things around, break stuff to use as traps, etc.). Some locations can only be accessed by certain companions, e.g. the snake can enter holes and eat whatever it finds inside to bring it out to you; the dog can climb up places and pick up things; etc. Other abilities would include picking up rumours by the street thief, the guard can earn you favors, and so on. Oh, and the scarab amulet would be voiced by Brendan Fraser.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
RPG set in past Egypt. There's a brief intro where an archeologist explores the ruins of the game's city. Depending on what you find and how you interpret your findings, you will shape the playing world where your actual will play in. This could be some sort of visual novel intro, or something alongside the lines of Pillars of Eternity's interactive "cutscenes".

Companions would be entirely optional and difficult to acquire, and they would conflict with each other so you can't carry all of them with you. Plus which companions you decide to bring would affect which quests can you get and quest solutions. The latter is something I think isn't very common in RPGs, at least not the ones I have played. I've already played with this idea in the Codex before, but companions would consist of:
  • Female street thief.
  • King's priestess.
  • Belly dancer, fuck historical accuracy.
  • Male King's guard.
  • A slave you can set free, male or female, young or old.
  • A stray dog that turns out to be Anubis and unlocks a different ending.
  • A snake.
  • A cursed mummy. His companion quest would be about retrieving suitable organs for him from those who betrayed him in the past.
  • You can pick up a talking scarab amulet.
Regarding the main quest itself, after finding out the King is ill you are expected to cure him or else rot in prison to avoid spreading the truth.

Combat would be tactical turn-based with ACTUAL tactics. You would have destroyable environments and you could interact with environments in different ways (move things around, break stuff to use as traps, etc.). Some locations can only be accessed by certain companions, e.g. the snake can enter holes and eat whatever it finds inside to bring it out to you; the dog can climb up places and pick up things; etc. Other abilities would include picking up rumours by the street thief, the guard can earn you favors, and so on. Oh, and the scarab amulet would be voiced by Brendan Fraser.

noice

I don't think you can talk about historical accuracy where belly shaking bitches are concerned. That shit IS ancient. Otherwise pretty sweet companion ideas except maybe for Anubis the dog (dog companions have been kind of done to death in general I think?) and the mummy.

As for the story premise, why are you expected to be able to heal the king? Is your character some sort of fixed magic dude/ skill monkey doctor?

As for destructive environments I would advise against it for Old Kingdom or just pre-Hellenistic Egypt; there isn't much evidence of a lot of material culture in Egypt before that. But since you're going for magic that may not be a concern anyways.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
noice

I don't think you can talk about historical accuracy where belly shaking bitches are concerned. That shit IS ancient. Otherwise pretty sweet companion ideas except maybe for Anubis the dog (dog companions have been kind of done to death in general I think?) and the mummy.

As for the story premise, why are you expected to be able to heal the king? Is your character some sort of fixed magic dude/ skill monkey doctor?

As for destructive environments I would advise against it for Old Kingdom or just pre-Hellenistic Egypt; there isn't much evidence of a lot of material culture in Egypt before that. But since you're going for magic that may not be a concern anyways.

No idea about the story premise, I just need an excuse to play in that setting. :D But it would be nice to have a premise that was historical in nature. Maybe the story could be as basic as "you work for the King and you are set out to meet a magic doctor hermit". Of course this is all something I made up, it's not like I'm able to make a game.

jungl

Augur
This would be a level design idea I would do if I designed bloodlines 2. Expand that whole somebody knows you before u got vamped thing from the first game. Multiple people approach this time claim they know you and one of them is clearly waifu bait for players to get invested in. Thinking it would be a nice escape from all the horrors you seen thus far you agree to go along with them for "help". Turns out they vamp hunters and knock you out. You barely wake up in small chapel room seeing them now clearly dressed as hunters talking about bringing you to professor then fade conscious again. This time waking up strapped inside a big trailer truck in a very helpless state and its driving over a big bridge in a very big forested area. The bridge breaks and the truck falls down under. The state of the hunters is unknown. your free from your bounds but know in a big forested area surrounded by low humanity werewolves who rigged the bridge. Stealth is crucial for survival here as your in a weakened state and cant use your powers. Lucky for you some reason the insane werewolves can only transform into glabro form so if you manage to stealth kill and feed one you have a fighting chance against one but still not recommended. You find surviving hunters in very gloomy situations and can help them out or outright kill them. How you deal with this scenario determines the waifu hunters fate. If you drink the insane werewolf blood it causes frenzy or low humanity you have to pick the darker options but there is at least 2 of them.

Unlike the first game playing a low humanity vampire I wouldn't make it a outright disability. Its simply another path to follow and can help you get unique powers from a stronger blood or access to disciplines. I would also design more horror situations where you want stealth and run then fight like being chased by tzimiztie elder that turned in a pool of blood and war ghouls that cant seem to die.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A cRPG wherre you play a selfish party of nobodies.
  • They're not going to save the world, not even try to.
  • They're cursed / coerced into doing others people's bidding or do it for money sometimes.
  • Doesn't mean they can't do some good deeds sometimes, even by accident, or not.
  • Settings : Jack's Vance Cugel's stories or Dying world and the likes.
  • The party is mostly going to leave a trail of destruction behind them, mostly by accident, caused by their clumsiness and greed.
  • TB blobber or isometric tactical combat and some exploration.
  • Possibility to play some of the intelligent creatures like erbs for a very different experience (banned from most cities).

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not really a RPG, but some sort of strategy or board game where you play as a revolutionary trying to make an underground web of resistance to free your people from an empire. What setting I got in mind is Bulgarian uprising in the Ottoman empire, but it could work pretty universal with others like the Greeks, the Serbs, the Hungarians or in fictional world.
  • You pick from couple types of "heroes/revolutionary" with specific skills (there can be other people choosing theirs if it's a board game and the goal is who will first succeed; if it's a computer game the other player/AI can be the empire trying to catch or crush the rebellion)
  • Skills are in the nature of "Combat"-for when you are caught and have to fight, "Money/Extortion" to rise funds, "Disguise", "Weapons"- for generating arms to equip the fighters, "Ties/Diplomacy" - for seeking help from other countries.
  • There is couple resources that you collect in the game- "Manpower", "Money", "Weapons", "Ties/Diplomatic power", "Empire support/Subversion"
  • You play on a map with cities/villages as tiles.Most of them are in the empire, but some are in neighboring countries and far away ones in other big empires.You choose your base of operation-it can be in the empire or one of the neighbors. When you go to the tile you draw a event card and resolve some scenario. It will have different pools of scenario cards in accordance with what city you visit. For example in the capital of the empire or the other countries you can make a lot of diplomatic contacts, in the province you get more chances to rise people, in ports you can get weapons, in other cities money and etc.
  • There is a timer that progress each turn and after set number of turns the game enters to next stage, something similar to defcon counter. When a new phase starts there will be "Crisis" and you have to resolve some challenge. In the last phase you choose how to fight the empire- 1) with local populace- you will have to convince set number of people, then equip them with weapons. 2) convince other countries to fight against the empire to free your people- you will need to make excellent ties or some sort of "sympathy" meter and have a lot of money. 3) change the empire within to give you some sort of autonomy. I don't want it to be just some score threshold, but I haven't figured out how you decide winner.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Id really like a Detective or Police Procedual RPG either 1920s-30s America or Gaslight London.
Could include:
Cultists
Cosmic Horrors
Satanists

Would definitely include:
Brass Knuckles, Revolvers, bizarre cases, Women in Furs, Bar fights

Sleazy, cheesy & sexy.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have been thinking about a game were you play as a "FBI" agent in a 19 century fantasy world.

You play as a pair of detectives the man is the perceptive likeable one who is good at shooting while the woman is more serious but better at interrogating and stealth.
You solve cases using both characters skills from simple murder cases to political intrigue. Your biggest problems are the numerous conflicts between the races(Elfs Humans Lizzard People and Cat people) political factions which hinder your investigations.
The gameworld is a big city with different districts each with their own unique set of problems. Though you spend a lot of time inside your bureau where you are interrogating suspects, analyze and connect evidence.
The core gameplay the crime solving, you have to find the right pieces of evidence and ask the right questions in order to find the culprit(s). The most important thing is that the game never tells you if you are on the right track and you can even arrest someone innocent.
But of course there is also shooting at gangster, breaking inside buildings to listen in conversations to make the game less monotonous.

The game's main plot slowly unveils during gameplay when you start to see strange connections within your cases but only if you are good enough so it's possible to completely miss it.

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
The Elder Scrolls 7: Cease and Desist.

- Set in a futristic Tamriel in the aftermath of a genocidal war against the Dunmer perpetrated by an alliance of Nords, Argonians, and Imperials where it is claimed as many as six million Dunmer were wiped out.
- The war having been lost by the Axis due to an alliance of Bretons, Imperials, and Communist Nords/Orismer the remaining Dunmer and merchants are given a nation of their own in the middle of Khajit lands.
- A new alliance of Nations now rules Tamriel and is beholden to none but the merchants.
- The figurehead of this new oligarchy is a magical homunculi construct which has a Todd Howard bathpillow for a head, known as the FiatSeer. Your quest is to destroy him.

- Gameplay includes, but is not limited to a seamless blend of turn-based, RTwP, and real time combat.
- Live Forex trading minigames.
- Sprites ripped straight from Diablo 2, Final Fantasy, Age of Empires, Hentai Visual novels, all the classics.

- Hogwarts is a location.
- Will you bend the wizard students to your will? Control Harry, Hermione, and the gang with an RTS style interface in an attempt to destroy Todd.

- Amiibos!
- Loot Boxes some of which can include cool new skins, usually ripped from Fortnite or Zelda, however some skins are cursed and can delete System32 when equipped.

- Travel through a portal to the real world and invade the Israel, Iran and the rest of the middle east with your party. Or just farm immigrants crossing the mediterranian for Iphones, and Samsungs.
- Pay Chinese people to farm the immigrants.
- Max party size: 1,000,000,000.

- Craft magical items such as, Carbon neutral Cars. Functioning Socialist Societies, and Wands!

- The game may, and will install invasive Malware, and unwanted search bars! They come with pop-ups leading to Todd Howard Porn!

- Tamriel and Earth are your oysters, explore, craft, and create.
- What will you become, CEO of an investment bank? An Argonian prince who uses Harry Potter as a hand warmer? Actually Daniel Radcliffe, unlockable in lootboxes costing only $49 for 100 or after 350 hours of play?
- The choice, is yours.
- May the force be with you.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
This would be a level design idea I would do if I designed bloodlines 2. Expand that whole somebody knows you before u got vamped thing from the first game. Multiple people approach this time claim they know you and one of them is clearly waifu bait for players to get invested in. Thinking it would be a nice escape from all the horrors you seen thus far you agree to go along with them for "help". Turns out they vamp hunters and knock you out. You barely wake up in small chapel room seeing them now clearly dressed as hunters talking about bringing you to professor then fade conscious again. This time waking up strapped inside a big trailer truck in a very helpless state and its driving over a big bridge in a very big forested area. The bridge breaks and the truck falls down under. The state of the hunters is unknown. your free from your bounds but know in a big forested area surrounded by low humanity werewolves who rigged the bridge. Stealth is crucial for survival here as your in a weakened state and cant use your powers. Lucky for you some reason the insane werewolves can only transform into glabro form so if you manage to stealth kill and feed one you have a fighting chance against one but still not recommended. You find surviving hunters in very gloomy situations and can help them out or outright kill them. How you deal with this scenario determines the waifu hunters fate. If you drink the insane werewolf blood it causes frenzy or low humanity you have to pick the darker options but there is at least 2 of them.

Unlike the first game playing a low humanity vampire I wouldn't make it a outright disability. Its simply another path to follow and can help you get unique powers from a stronger blood or access to disciplines. I would also design more horror situations where you want stealth and run then fight like being chased by tzimiztie elder that turned in a pool of blood and war ghouls that cant seem to die.
Thats a pretty good idea.

huntsman1899

Literate
Classic fantasy graphics in the old school hand painted style. A deep RPG with almost an adventure game style of interaction and choices.

1 st person gameplay. A true adventure JOURNEY. Trying to get your party from A to a distant B across a series of varied landscapes. Stopping along the way to rest and gear up, but no back and forth running errands. You may meet folks along the way who need immediate aid or encounter perilous situations (ambushes, broken bridges, creatures, etc), and these would be the only "quests" along with hunting for food and shelter, etc. Basic resource management and survival.

All gameplay would be grid based so each grid stop and puzzle and situation can be controlled in order to be framed properly. Interactions and combat would use contextual menus for enemies and objects in the environment. Click a trap and options for how to deal with that trap will appear based on your skills and objects in your possession. Click a lantern on the wall and you can choose to take it, douse it, refill it, throw it, light a torch on it, light an arrow or a sword with it. Click on a pit in a dungeon that is blocking your way: A thief might use his grappling hook to swing across or descend the pit. A wizard might cast earth magic to make a bridge or levitate to float across. A fighter might have to burst down a weak wall and go around.

During combat things go turn based character by character, these choices will be timed. You could always just do a basic attack in a pinch, choosing what type of strike and what part of the body if you're skilled enough, but those with high intelligence or speed have a longer timer for choosing their actions so can really get clever. A bard might charm his way out of the fight. A thief may douse a light source to set up a stealth attack. A ranger might slice an arrow through a chandelier rope, dropping it to damage the whole group. A fighter might kick a nearby table into the enemies to knock them prone. A wizard might use telekinesis to disarm them, or clairvoyance to know the enemies next move or to rewind a bad action, etc. Of course they can work together with their unique abilities as well to set up attacks and situations for each other. Wizard burns a wood bridge, fighter kicks them back into it, etc. Druid summons a vine, thief swings on it, etc.

All in all a slower moving, deeper experience with options that make you truly feel like you are playing pen and paper. Would have to rely on text for much of the effects, so bits of Darklands and PoE text adventure in there with painted visuals.

Anyway, that's my dream RPG.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A darkly urban detective noir RPG on a distant planet with PnP compatible systems and a setting and narrative that marries David Lynch with Animal Farm.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Deadpool RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom