Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought this had its own Codex campaing, guess I was wrong, but you can still contribute to the game through its web. Looks interesting enough to support :)

Jupiter Hell October Update

Firstly, some apologies are in order. We’ve been poor at communication these last few months. Though we’ve had regular tweets and Twitch streams, but have been neglecting proper updates on Kickstarter. We’re very sorry! We’re developers, not natural marketing people, but we shall try to do better.

We've also had some delays in the delivery schedule. The original plan stated an Early Access version by November. Development is going very steadily, but with some things taking longer than anticipated and some of the development schedule being rearranged. Our current plan is to shortly release our third pre-alpha to the Inner Circle, and then the alpha by the year end.

Further development updates:

• Two new programmers have joined the team. Olgierd is working on rendering and resource management. Emil is working on the game’s audio engine.
  • We’re now integrating engine tools into the game which will make the Jupiter Hell more open to modding. This was originally planned to be done much later, but is far more effective if done at an early stage.
  • Physics in the game can been optimised, meaning it will perform much better on a wide variety of machines.
  • Shadows have been improved, and a new optional shadow algorithm will be available for stronger hardware (see comparison below).
  • Resource management has been added to the game.
  • We have a new sound engine ready for implementation, with Roland working on the soundtrack and audio samples.
  • New tilesets and enemies have been added.
227e44f3a2d16b94d828319fb76ee0c9_original.gif

Comparison of shadow modes

Art
Ewa and Lukasz have been busy on the art side, including producing these lovely new concept pieces:

48e70208f567659349b6cd991c1f75e5_original.png

The 'Fat Guy' - currently being implemented in-game

Concept art of the 'Summoner'

Events
Most of the team are currently in Poznan, Poland, for the Game Industry Conference. Kornel is talking there on ‘Modern C++ vs Writing Game Engines’.

In two weeks time Darren will be at the Roguelike Development Conference in Serbia. He’ll be giving presentations on ‘Why We Make Games’ and ‘Designing for the Meta-game’

Last edited by a moderator:

Though they haven't been doing official updates since December [Link] , they have been doing Twitch streams [Link] and you can easily get in touch through twitter.

Also they got a discord though it wasnt that active when I checked it.
https://discord.gg/8CrTCnk

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Game looks good, but the player must need flash cards when stepping outside. He can't figure out he needs to reload the shotgun despite 0/1 shells listed, he keeps exchanging his 9 mm pistol for the ones enemies drop because there's an icon on the ground (despite the fact the icon shows its the same pistol he's holding) and best of all, once he spots enemies, he 'waits' outside doors for them to come through... completely not understanding how the movement works in the game.

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
Hey everyone! Just a heads up that if you want to check out the game, we're currently running a free weekend!

The setup is a bit wonky, because Steam doesn't know how to run free weekends on an unreleased game.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

IT'S LIKE PLAYING BEST ARCANE DIMENSIONS MAPS BUT MUCH BETTER!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just completed the demo. Pretty dope. Despite the fact that it's a one-character roguelike, combat has a tactical feel. I like that there are different types of stats which allow for more than just "DPS grind". You have to take into account armour, ROF, quickness to fire, reload speed, etc.

That being said, the enemies are the usual "run at you and shoot/whack till you ded" types. I can imagine the game getting boring fast if they don't introduce more mechanics and elements from classic RPGs of this genre (e.g. the level of environmental interactivity that you find in games like Nethack). I also am curious to see how they'll handle higher level stuff, as right now in the demo, the shotgun/auto rifle are all you'll need.

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
Thanks for trying out the demo!

That being said, the enemies are the usual "run at you and shoot/whack till you ded" types. I can imagine the game getting boring fast if they don't introduce more mechanics and elements from classic RPGs of this genre (e.g. the level of environmental interactivity that you find in games like Nethack). I also am curious to see how they'll handle higher level stuff, as right now in the demo, the shotgun/auto rifle are all you'll need.

I'll gladly reply to that, but I'd like to know what specifically you consider environmental interactivity environmental interactivity in NetHack.

While JH is designed to be simple and streamlined (a gateway drug to classic roguelikes :P), we do want the game to be tactically deep. We know we're not there yet, some of the stuff is already in, but not present in the demo, and some of the stuff is still in deep development. Two notable things that are missing is elemental damage (and it's special effects), and more interactivity with the terminals (bot disabling/hacking/locked areas). Also we want to add more special skills for the enemies to differentiate them better.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
and more interactivity with the terminals (bot disabling/hacking/locked areas).

Yep that's what I mean. Good to know there will be stuff like terminals. What I liked from Nethack was that you would have random environmental objects, like fountains and altars, that you could interact with to produce different outcomes. There was a lot of experimentation too ("gee what happens if I kick the altar?"), especially if you were new to such games. It made them all the more memorable.

IMO with roguelikes, the one thing that games like FTL did right, which a lot of others did wrong, was the random/procedural generation of events that would steer you towards minor setbacks that made the game more challenging, rather than towards doomed fail states. With Jupiter Hell, I can see a lot of room for this (its genre being sci-fi), and since you mentioned the inclusion of elemental damage, I certainly hope we can see features such as flammable surfaces (not just combustibles like barrels) and other ways that environments and characters can interact with one another.

Also, FWIW, I appreciate that Jupiter Hell's Medium difficulty is sufficiently challenging enough without being balls-on hard. Ran into more heavily armoured enemies like security bots and heavy grunts, and took them out easily enough thanks to nades. I see JH is quite influenced by Warhammer 40K :salute:

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
Final chance to try the FREE WEEKEND DEMO before the August 1st Early Access release!

Though it was worth mentioning, as among other upgrades, ULTRAVIOLENCE difficulty is in, and the JupiterGuy has now a voice, by none other than Mark Meer (yes, Commander Shepard!) - be warned though, he has a foul mouth (which you can tone down in the options ;) ).

NOTE : the discord is set to open, so you can just open that link in a tab, click on the bot and get the key - no e-mail, no registration, no data need to be given except a throwaway nick.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom