Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Sunset Invasion

3fNT.gif

Zeriel

Arcane
And Aztecs.

Sunset Invasion - Rise of the Olmecs

Olmecs arrive in anachronistic sailboats with medievalesque mesoamerican weapons.

I'd honestly rather have an ahistorical chinese invasion.

This maybe will be a good game in a couple year after 7 DLCs. But I wager at release EU Rome will remain the better game even flawed as it is. The republic mechanics were funny.

Its also from the pre-mana era so it will always have that over Imperator.

Edit: Surprised to see no salt over the launch-day DLC. I'm not even one to complain about that stuff usually because I just expect it, but even I'm salty as fuck over them cutting visual world landmarks they were advertising as baseline features and improvements over past games and selling them as DLC.

razvedchiki

Erudite
I'd honestly rather have an ahistorical chinese invasion.

Its also from the pre-mana era so it will always have that over Imperator.

Edit: Surprised to see no salt over the launch-day DLC. I'm not even one to complain about that stuff usually because I just expect it, but even I'm salty as fuck over them cutting visual world landmarks they were advertising as baseline features and improvements over past games and selling them as DLC.

crusading over the nets will not achieve anything,the only language paradox and all the companies speak is dem monies.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
hope there is an event to salt rome if you play as carthage

gotta show these latin bois the power of the SEMITIC MASTER RACE

This setting is tailor-made for the return of the Atlanteans. Either that or Midnight Sunset Invasion with Thuleans, Hyperboreans, Arimaspi and Issedones.

There is also, of course, Sub-Saharan Africa but Paradox wouldn't dare.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This setting is tailor-made for the return of the Atlanteans. Either that or Midnight Sunset Invasion with Thuleans, Hyperboreans, Arimaspi and Issedones.

There is also, of course, Sub-Saharan Africa but Paradox wouldn't dare.

Sure, because Paradox would pick up NADZEE imagery like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You people are so naive,assuming that the basic civs are already here :). The first one already a pre-order bonus,the Greek one. We will have gauls,german,iberian,british,egyptian,cartage,then rome one etc etc. Most likely it will be very bear bones game.

Zeriel

Arcane
You people are so naive,assuming that the basic civs are already here :). The first one already a pre-order bonus,the Greek one. We will have gauls,german,iberian,british,egyptian,cartage,then rome one etc etc. Most likely it will be very bear bones game.

To be real, their DLC are bare bones too. Even cultures they focus on with DLC in 5 year old games like CK2 are basically limited to a handful of events that are the equivelant of a single forum post in actual size. That's just always been how Paradox games are, if you don't do some serious LARPing in your head most playthroughs are pretty flavorless.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

To be real, their DLC are bare bones too. Even cultures they focus on with DLC in 5 year old games like CK2 are basically limited to a handful of events that are the equivelant of a single forum post in actual size. That's just always been how Paradox games are, if you don't do some serious LARPing in your head most playthroughs are pretty flavorless.

Why do you have to pull us out of our LARP in which Paradox's games are acthually deep and complex and don't only appear so to the untrained eye who only saw so many numbers on their math test and electricity bill before? CK2 for example is remarkably simple game and once you get it, they can add any number of new features you'll get them right away, even during first reading of DD that explains them. That's why I don't touch some of their games much, like Stellaris or HOI4, I like to live in delusion that they are great, sophisticated and complex history generators, delusion that collapses as soon as you start spending more then couple of hours with them. They're overpriced, broken and limited by simplicity, not that sandboxy, amount of times I said 'why the hell I as king/general/emperor/mad duke's horse can't do something' as simple as sleeping with my or first wife I come across when I and realm are in dire need of heir? Or such simple thing as demand more then beggar's wage that's fixed amount of gold you get paid for imprisoned mayor, no matter he's head of leading Venice merchant family and has enough money to buy half of my court off or some shithole village's elder. It's simple countless things like that, that make me feel like I'm playin board game more than simulation often. Still, they're fun games, it's just that fun depletes faster then mana in their newer titles and new DLCs are often not that great cassus ludus, HOLY FURY being a holy exception other DLCs ought to follow. Let's not forget: fuck mana, fuck.

Long post cut short to eight words: Paradox, give me back my hundreds of hours! :negative::dealwithit:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To be fair they are pretty complex historical "simulators". It is just that we have put far too much time in them and could see past the mechanical illusions. Once you see past the mechanics you just get annoyed at all the missed opportunities. The best thing that they did in EU is added new missions system. That way you could just sit down for 10 hours and play a campaign in 150 years and feel satisfied at the end.Yet it just hurts too look at how lazy and lacklustre their content is. The only really good campaign is Byzantium.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I don't know why I was thinking this would be something different. It's just yet another paradox snorefest interactive screensaver.

Map painting where painting outside of borders is encouraged and different brushes and paints are sold as DLCs. Glorified Lords Mobile, it's just that every inch of screen is clickable and can make numbers go uuuup or doooown! And differently coloured tides come and go on map's surface. Exciting autism, truly! And like Rome was addicted to conquest, gladiator fights and cute Gaulish slave girls with iron chokers, I'm addicted to Paradox. Even email subscribed to Imperator. Hope crazy, more autistic devs come along and smash Paradox's monopolic grand strategy empire, the same way Rome fell under waves of barbarians which would just smash of Empire's walls had Empire not been corrupt and rotting from inside. Like Paradox

To be fair they are pretty complex historical "simulators". It is just that we have put far too much time in them and could see past the mechanical illusions. Once you see past the mechanics you just get annoyed at all the missed opportunities. The best thing that they did in EU is added new missions system. That way you could just sit down for 10 hours and play a campaign in 150 years and feel satisfied at the end.Yet it just hurts too look at how lazy and lacklustre their content is. The only really good campaign is Byzantium.

Much truth is contained in this comment and had you not written my honesty would've forced me to do so. Paradox is not bad waifu, it's just that for her maintance cost she ought to have better and more believable boobs. The way I explained it might be a bit plastic but can't be more than Caesar's smile at the end of last Imperator trailer. Which is overall +5 cool!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Paradox is not bad waifu, it's just that for her maintance cost she ought to have better and more believable boobs.
Also it is the only waifu on the slave market. A bit of good competition will be good for the genre. But the hard part is the engine and the whole ai calculation thing,tho EU's ai is a lot dumber than it was on release.

Aemar

Arcane
Speaking of competition, Imperator: Rome or Field of Glory: Empires? Is there any reason to believe FoG:E will bring anything exciting to the table?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of competition, Imperator: Rome or Field of Glory: Empires? Is there any reason to believe FoG:E will bring anything exciting to the table?
Totally different games mate,FoG is a turn based battle simulator,IR is a fucking grand strategy with zero battle simulation. It is like comparing caesar 3 to total war rome.

Aemar

Arcane
I haven't properly researched FoG:E and thought the game would be slightly more than Field of Glory 2 + campaign map.

razvedchiki

Erudite
field of glory empires will give you the option to play your battles in to the field of battle 2 engine,if they manage to pull it off it will be a dream come true.
field of glory battle system may not be perfect but its miles better than the "blue blob fights green blob" system of paradox games or the travesty tactical battles became in recent total war games.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I haven't properly researched FoG:E and thought the game would be slightly more than Field of Glory 2 + campaign map.
That is interesting,didn't know that. I found only this video that have something of the game.

That looks like "Baby's First Tabletop Wargame", I guess its better than TW but thats a VERY low bar...

Its incredibly depressing that we still dont have something like GG's War in the East for ancient/medieval warfare.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom