Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cael

Arcane
halp

I cleared the old sycamore depths, got the bridge down and am now on the other side... but there's a wooden gate right after the bridge that I can't pass. wat do?
Fireball...

Cael

Arcane
halp

I cleared the old sycamore depths, got the bridge down and am now on the other side... but there's a wooden gate right after the bridge that I can't pass. wat do?
Fireball...

that's gonna be difficult with a level 4 party

EDIT: figured out another way tho I think
Scorching Ray, then. Less efficient, but can get it done if you are willing to spend a couple on it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, they nerfed the bear awhile back as people were complaining it was way too hard. I am happy to say I beat it before the nerf, but it was indeed very hard. :)

Too bad. It seemed like such a set piece encounter, I didn't even have to use my full arsenal
It is very possible to get there at lvl 2 with only party of 4. Even the nerfed version is tough to kill on challenging. I know because that is exactly how I did it in one of my campaigns.

ArchAngel

Arcane
halp

Fireball...

You can ignore all of Cael's advice about this game because he is not actually playing it. He just likes to shitpost in this topic and he has been doing that for some reason since release.
Also by his own admission you can also ignore his advice about Pathfinder system because he has not played it much (or at all), 3.5e is all he knows.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Chapter 5, around 110 hours in-game. I'm quite surprised that I haven't encountered too many bugs so far. Amiri's quest seems to have got fucked at some point, I've seen some UI issues when transitioning from the Kingdom map and saving takes noticeably longer than at the start, but aside from that.. it's been going well. Seeing as it has paid off to wait ~4 months to play this, it will only strengthen my resolve not to play huge CRPGs on release.

Now I'm going to clench my butt cheeks in preparation for chapters 6 and 7.

panda

Savant
Oh, i see new people drawn to this thread are making the same mistake again and again - arguing with Cael.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DrakronI'm running a standard Magus and the damage and even defenses of these guys can get nuts, they're sortta the Kensai of this game, but they require a lot of micro and especially the Sword Saint is a late bloomer, and I have a suspicion the first 2 levels of the game are much harder in general than what comes after. The Technoleague random encounter for me was a reload-fest that came down to initiative rolls.

I strongly recommend the Eldiritch Arcana mod for a Magus. Intensify Spell metamagic to make your Shocking Grasps twice as powerful for only 1 level higher slot (although if you started with that mod, there are 2 character Traits, which can reduce metamagic costs for chosen spell by 1 each). 2nd-3rd level slotted Intensified, Empowered & rod Maximized Shocking Grasps for 90 damage (180 on spell strike crit) at level 10 could be a thing. And with Spell Recall you could eventually use them like 15 times per day.
Then there's Familiar Arcana and Spell Blending Arcana to learn the likes of Echolocation and Sense Vitals.

And I would not call the Sword Saint a late bloomer, at least if you mix Monk for extra AC. Sure, at first level he may seem underwhelming, with no stacked bonuses to speak of and 1 spell with measly duration. But around level 5 (6 with Monk), when he gets second enchantment, which you can use on keen, Perfect Strike for mighty crits, Mirror Image and can stack several Stat buffs and items so that his AC starts to skyrocket, he starts to shine. Maybe not so much in damage - but he's the ultimate defender. And is also capable of going nova.8
Later he also stacks many damage bonuses.

Lately I'm fond of hybrid Sword Saints: S16, D16, I16, W14. You don't need to spend feats on Finesse. Perhaps more importantly, you can benefit a lot from Enlarge (movement kills a maguses effectiveness, so reach is great) and later even Legendary Proportions. So I like Bastard Swords, which grow nicely in dice damage from size increase (d10-2d8-3d8) and look badass. A SS can also maximize base weapon damage by spending AP. 24 base damage? Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is The performamce is the flinlock field just bad or what? During the twice born chapter. In each encounter, Since there are so many shit, the game ran on like 20 fps or so, in barbarian camp even not fighting, it ran in 30 fps.

I have a 1080 nvidia video card.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
halp

Fireball...

You can't open the gate from the room you reach via the bridge, but have to do it from the other side. You also don't have to get through the gate, although you should, just for the xp (lowering the bridge and smashing the gate both give xp)

Basically, there are two ways into that small area where you can get the greatsword +1 and scorched necklace fragment; one is from the mite side (if you either kill the gatekeeper or do a quest for him to get the bridge gear), while the other is from the kobold side (you find a prybar in a chest by the area transition that takes you up to the chieftain which you can then use on a cart near the outside of the wooden gate... it will set the cart rolling and smash through the gate.)

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is The performamce is the flinlock field just bad or what? During the twice born chapter. In each encounter, Since there are so many shit, the game ran on like 20 fps or so, in barbarian camp even not fighting, it ran in 30 fps.
Game has memory leak, which causes noticable stattering if you play for several hours. Or just ~1 hour for PC with 8 GB RAM or less. It also likes powerful CPU and do not care much about GPU. So restart does wonders for performance problems.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Damn, Ithuliak was a pretty good fight, I liked it. Does anyone have a non-cheese strategy? My characters had 30-35 bonus to hit and his AC was 58, which meant I had to rely on crits.

Incendax

Augur
Damn, Ithuliak was a pretty good fight, I liked it. Does anyone have a non-cheese strategy? My characters had 30-35 bonus to hit and his AC was 58, which meant I had to rely on crits.
I cheesed him into a dog with Baleful Polymorph. Which did NOT turn off his Special abilities. So that tiny dog proceeded to fear aura everyone and vomit acid every few seconds, while still tanking everything with massive AC, spell resist, saves, and a high accuracy bite.

It was pretty much exactly what I deserved.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't been there yet. But... Try Cleric Blade Barrier? Kineticist? Alchemist bombs?
Magus Dimension Strike?

Incendax

Augur
My real strategy (after the cheese tactic) was to give everyone a bow and drip feed him summons. He doesn’t move, so you can entice him to attack the summons while you stand waaaay back and shoot him. You don’t want too many summons or he just shreds them with acid and melee, but a few can make him waste polar midnights on your trash. He WILL take potshots at you with acid, so you have to time the breath weapon attacks and do the safety dance back and forth.

Besides the adds, a ranged strategy let’s you mostly ignore AC. So you can really pile on the Reckless Aura and other things that add hit instead of AC.

Or just Deadly Earth. But that felt like cheating, so I didn’t.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing one of the most difficult NWN user-made modules (allegedly) as a cleric and I didn't die once. When I posted on the author's sub-forum and told him his module was too easy, he got deeply upset, considering his module the most challenging NWN module known to man and geek, then after much swallowing of his own pride-jism, he complimented me and said he suspected I was an unusually good player (I'm actually a terrible player). But ever since then I've considered the cleric a "cheat class" and haven't played one since. I'm assuming Kingmaker has its comparable cheat classes.

Drakron

Arcane
Drakron what difficulty are you playing on?

Custom, basically I selected normal and turned everything up to normal and full damage.

The Paladin is good because it requires less handholding from you, so if you're not a Pathfinder vet that's deffo a better way to go. I'm running a standard Magus and the damage and even defenses of these guys can get nuts, they're sortta the Kensai of this game, but they require a lot of micro and especially the Sword Saint is a late bloomer, and I have a suspicion the first 2 levels of the game are much harder in general than what comes after.

I guessed that much, I was trying to play like a Fighter that of course doesnt work at low levels since its a squishy wizard with a sword ... I did like the skills selection since it allowed me to pass most checks.
I will likely go normal Paladin since I kinda like the class and the archtypes dont see very balanced in some cases.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lvl 7 druids spell Creeping Doom is so fun and broken at same time :D
Giving the AI some of its own swarm medicine :D

But of course to balance this lvl 7 has a spell called Changestaff that has a material component: quarterstaff. I found exactly one so far, a MW one that Oleg is selling..
EDIT: OK I just tried it, it does not even recognize that MW quarterstaff as a material component lol

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
finished pathfinder kingmaker today. disappointing end game areas - too many trashmobs, bloated areas without much interesting stuff to do. still a bit bugged there, didn't encounter as many bugs before.

Jaethal went invincible after a medusa tried to turn her to stone
lost all of linzis equipment after her plot induced death
jubilost dying for no reason inside the camp (could ressurect him however)
not losing buffs when resting during retaking capital from latern king
some other minor stuff that i could solve by reloading

and the "wild cards" dlc is a joke. one additional class + about 1 hour of extra gameplay. total cash grab. the related companion's questline is even shorter than that of other companions in the game.

still, great game with amazing amount of content otherwise (more sidequests would have been nice though, loved the lizard village), good soundtrack, villians....didn't like the companions as much, they aren't annoying like in many other games but most of them lacked depth....Jaethal's quest was probably the best and i loved one of her possible endings.

chapter 1 to 3 were the most enjoyable, so much stuff to do and explore, a lot of choice and consequence, challenging while still being pretty "balanced".

also - the CYOA areas were neat. wouldn't have mind if the implemented a lot more of those.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Am I using Use Magic Device wrong? I got a Fighter with loads of points in it, but whenever I use a wand, nothing happens

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Am I using Use Magic Device wrong? I got a Fighter with loads of points in it, but whenever I use a wand, nothing happens
What's "loads of points"? There's a combat log entry showing the failed UMD check. Is there one? This skill is fairly underwhelming in this game, you can only use scrolls/wands that's it. And most builds probably have at least one dip into some caster class which will let them use such items without a check, a single vivi level lets you use all the arcane scrolls/wands of the spells you would get as a Vivisectionist and also all the divine ones including full heal.
The good thing is when you fail a UMD check the scroll/wand charge isn't used up, so you can easily try until you succeed.

Cael

Arcane
What's "loads of points"? There's a combat log entry showing the failed UMD check. Is there one? This skill is fairly underwhelming in this game, you can only use scrolls/wands that's it. And most builds probably have at least one dip into some caster class which will let them use such items without a check, a single vivi level lets you use all the arcane scrolls/wands of the spells you would get as a Vivisectionist and also all the divine ones including full heal.
The good thing is when you fail a UMD check the scroll/wand charge isn't used up, so you can easily try until you succeed.
That actually looks like a bug or a misinterpretation of the rules. If you are too low a level to cast a spell associated with the wand, you have to make a caster level check. UMD can be used to bypass that, which makes UMD potentially more useful to activate scrolls and the like than a dip in a casting class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom