Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
At least WoD let you level alts, get insane amounts of money and had cool zones. BfA has no redeeming qualities. Every new gameplay change and content idea they introduced in BfA has been a total disaster. Even basic shit like just how playing any class feels awful due to skill pruning and the new GCD change. This is easily the lowest the game has ever been.
Disagree. Wotlk was a low point, which introduced free epics, AoE dungeon grindsfests, Frost mage/Arcane mage bullshit, DKs, copied&pasted a vanilla Raid as content, cut other content for the Argent Tournament, and turned Icecrown into not-Mordor. It was one of the most casual and lazy expansions. For example, Affliction Warlock was deemed too difficult, and so Blizzard nerfed it and buffed 2-button Destro.

Also, don't get me started on some of the retcons. Muradin with amnesia? A giant dragon tower that no one noticed before? A giant, vibrant jungle in the north-east of a frozen tundra populated exclusively by murlocs and badger people? Arthas reduced to a Saturday morning cartoon villain, which they had to retroactively make not so retarded, because they couldn't think of any reason at the time.

BFA has fucked alts and certain classes hard, but it is impossible to go lower than Wotlk. Mythic+ and organized Warmode are leagues ahead of whatever Wotlk offered in terms of content imo. Warfronts and Island Expeditions are undercooked, but I would put those over the questing content of Wotlk or Wintergrasp.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Mythic + is awesome, I wish blizz would focus on putting more dungeons out over raids buuuut raiding is really good too so I don't mind so much. My main problem w/ raiding is that it's too time consuming. Nearly all of the encounters in Uldir are REALLY fun though.

I like Island expos a lot but they're too easy on mythic and I don't really like PVP in this game so I don't do that mode. The islands are interesting to explore though I just wish the content was more challenging.

Warfronts are horrible, doubly so because they give insane loot but at least you can afk during them.

World quests are... basically a time waster so I'm mostly not a fan although I like the turtle quests and pet battle quests.

Uhh I think that's all I have to say about this xpac really. Overall it's lots of fun and I like the theme a lot better than legion. Legion had way too much visual clutter going on everywhere imo and this xpac toned that down.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Warfronts and Island Expeditions are undercooked, but I would put those over the questing content of Wotlk or Wintergrasp.
:what:
I stand by it. Warfronts provide an opportunity for gear, so that you can reach mythics/raids faster, and rare mounts. There is at least a utility to current warfronts. Furthermore, in later patches there will be 10-man heroic Warfronts, which means Blizzard does not plan to just abandon the feature unlike Wotlk content. Meanwhile, island expeditions give XP for leveling alts, mounts, cosmetics,etc. As shit as these are, there is at least a blueprint that Blizzard plans to build upon. Compare this with: Wintergrasp (never lived up to the hype); even more mundane daily quests for gold/rep only; and AoEfest dungeons that were largely irrelevant. To my recollection, Blizzard never bothered to update or fix with this content after 3.0/3.1.

To top it all off, Blizzard then added "mounted combat," so that players could ride on "horses" with 3 buttons to choose from. This was included in a content patch where the Horde/Alliance come together for a jousting festival right in the middle of scourge territory. Nothing in MoP, WoD, Legion, or BFA could beat that level of stupidity.

Outside of Ulduar and Stormpeaks, I really do not have much good to say about Wotlk. It is where Blizzard had a knee-jerk reaction to complaints about TBC and made the game for super-casuals.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Warfronts and Island Expeditions are undercooked, but I would put those over the questing content of Wotlk or Wintergrasp.
:what:
I stand by it. Warfronts provide an opportunity for gear, so that you can reach mythics/raids faster, and rare mounts. There is at least a utility to current warfronts. Furthermore, in later patches there will be 10-man heroic Warfronts, which means Blizzard does not plan to just abandon the feature unlike Wotlk content. Meanwhile, island expeditions give XP for leveling alts, mounts, cosmetics,etc. As shit as these are, there is at least a blueprint that Blizzard plans to build upon. Compare this with: Wintergrasp (never lived up to the hype); even more mundane daily quests for gold/rep only; and AoEfest dungeons that were largely irrelevant. To my recollection, Blizzard never bothered to update or fix with this content after 3.0/3.1.

Outside of Ulduar and Stormpeaks, I really do not have much good to say about Wotlk. It is where Blizzard had a knee-jerk reaction to complaints about TBC and made the game for super-casuals.
I see, you don't really give a fuck if something is fun as long as it's rewarding.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I see, you don't really give a fuck if something is fun as long as it's rewarding.
At least it assists you with getting to somewhere fun (e.g., mythics). Furthermore, at least Blizzard plans to keep working the content.

Similarly, I did not grind Upper Blackrock Spire because I thought it was fun, but because I needed fire resist gear so that I could perform better in Molten Core. The fun was having a goal to work towards and obtain (i.e., being able to experience Molten Core and raids). Likewise, warfronts are a means to experience mythics faster.

Compare that with the stupidity of Wotlk. There is a reason people call out Wrathbabies.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At least it assists you with getting to somewhere fun (e.g., mythics). Furthermore, at least Blizzard plans to keep working the content.

Compare that with the stupidity of Wotlk.

There was stupidity with wotlk but not with what you complained about. Blizz made the right choice to abandon wintergrasp once they figured out they couldn't make it fun, something they should be doing with warfronts and island expeditions. No, they aren't going to improve them and make them better, which is what they should do. Instead they'll just keep copy pasting the same zero challenge content that's impossible to fail and people will keep doing them regardless as long as there's a reward in it for them. And there's nowhere you can go to once you get better gear. The "somewhere fun" doesn't exist in BfA because even the most basic shit like the basic gameplay is just no fun with any class. Every single class and role feels dull, shallow and bad to play. And if you can't get that right then the content won't be fun either. I went to play ESO after quitting BfA and was blown away by the fact that even killing normal mobs felt more fun than anything I had done in BfA due to how fun the gameplay was and felt.

No, wintergrasp was still a 100x better than any BfA feature. At least it had a fail state and the gameplay was still engaging.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

There was stupidity with wotlk but not with what you complained about. Blizz made the right choice to abandon wintergrasp once they figured out they couldn't make it fun, something they should be doing with warfronts and island expeditions. No, they aren't going to improve them and make them better, which is what they should do. Instead they'll just keep copy pasting the same zero challenge content that's impossible to fail and people will keep doing them regardless as long as there's a reward in it for them. And there's nowhere you can go to once you get better gear. The "somewhere fun" doesn't exist in BfA because even the most basic shit like the basic gameplay is just no fun with any class. Every single class and role feels dull, shallow and bad to play. And if you can't get that right then the content won't be fun either. I went to play ESO after quitting BfA and was blown away by the fact that even killing normal mobs felt more fun than anything I had done in BfA due to how fun the gameplay was and felt.

No, wintergrasp was still a 100x better than any BfA feature. At least it had a fail state and the gameplay was still engaging.
That's fine if you hate BFA and enjoy ESO, but BFA is not the low point of WoW. I cannot argue what you like and do not like.

My issue is that you speak of engaging classes, but remember Wotlk was filled with 2 button destro, arcane/frost mage, and retardins. It is not as if Woltk was ever known for complexity. Again, there is a reason people called out Wrathbabies.

Also, I very much doubt abandoning Wintergraps was the right call, because what came next was stupidity known as Trial of the Crusader. I would hardly call "mounted combat" a good call over trying to improve Wintergrasp.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

That's fine if you hate BFA and enjoy ESO, but BFA is not the low point of WoW. I cannot argue what you like and do not like.

My issue is that you speak of engaging classes, but remember Wotlk was filled with 2 button destro, arcane/frost mage, and retardins. It is not as if Woltk was ever known for complexity. Again, there is a reason people called out Wrathbabies.

Also, I very much doubt abandoning Wintergraps was the right call, because what came next was stupidity known as Trial of the Crusader. I would hardly call "mounted combat" a good call over trying to improve Wintergrasp.

To be honest the 3 classes you name as 2 button heroes had been like that since vanilla. Destro Warlock, Arcane/Frost Mage and Retri Paladins were always insanely bursty if they had the gear for it. Personally I played a Frostfire Mage in wotlk and the spec was definitely a lot more complex and enjoyable than any Mage spec prior to that in vanilla or TBC. Wrathbabies are just people who started WoW with wrath and think it's the best shit ever. I'm not even going to argue that, I thought it was pretty mediocre. But in the context of this argument I'd still prefer Wrath over BfA. Maybe even Cataclysm even though that was the expansion that made me give up on the game. The content in Cataclysm was awful but, again, at least the gameplay was still somewhat engaing.

My point in them abandoning Wintergrasp was that I never assumed that Blizz was going to bother fixing it in the first place. Playing the game since Vanilla one theme became consistent with their development: they never fixed anything in WoW. They just abandoned content that wasn't working (even if the concept was fine) and made something else in hopes that it'd be better. These days instead of doing that they'd rather just double down on the crappy content they made and increase the amount of carrots they throw at your way in hopes that you'll stick around for longer because of it. It's down right insulting.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

To be honest the 3 classes you name as 2 button heroes had been like that since vanilla. Destro Warlock, Arcane/Frost Mage and Retri Paladins were always insanely bursty if they had the gear for it. Personally I played a Frostfire Mage in wotlk and the spec was definitely a lot more complex and enjoyable than any Mage spec prior to that in vanilla or TBC. Wrathbabies are just people who started WoW with wrath and think it's the best shit ever. I'm not even going to argue that, I thought it was pretty mediocre. But in the context of this argument I'd still prefer Wrath over BfA. Maybe even Cataclysm even though that was the expansion that made me give up on the game. The content in Cataclysm was awful but, again, at least the gameplay was still somewhat engaing.

My point in them abandoning Wintergrasp was that I never assumed that Blizz was going to bother fixing it in the first place. Playing the game since Vanilla one theme became consistent with their development: they never fixed anything in WoW. They just abandoned content that wasn't working (even if the concept was fine) and made something else in hopes that it'd be better. These days instead of doing that they'd rather just double down on the crappy content they made and increase the amount of carrots they throw at your way in hopes that you'll stick around for longer because of it. It's down right insulting.
It is not just that the classes had two-buttons, it is that the difference between a knowledgeable player and a new player shrank, partly due to the class changes and partly due to the content. Not to mention that many of the dungeons did not require CC or interrupts, mana/threat was less of an issue, and people just needed to AoE. With mythic+, you know rather quickly who does and does not know the fight or the mechanics.

I do not see how Blizzard trying to improve flawed content (e.g., heroic Warfronts) is worse than throwing volley after volley of bad ideas and hoping one sticks (e.g., mounted combat). We will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It is not just that the classes had two-buttons, it is that the difference between a knowledgeable player and a new player shrank, partly due to the class changes and partly due to the content. Not to mention that many of the dungeons did not require CC or interrupts, mana/threat was less of an issue, and people just needed to AoE. With mythic+, you know rather quickly who does and does not know the fight or the mechanics.
The difference between a good and poor player has never gone away. It even exists today despite the classes being completely stripped out of any depth. The game was shifting toward an easier experience and was clearly a downgrade compared with TBC but that hardly means that it's worse than BfA. These issues that you brought up, i.e no real resource management and lack of need to CC, are problems that plague BfA as well and even more so than in wotlk. As a Mage I still had to think about mana when I was raiding Naxx, for example. The only class in WoW that still needs to think about its resource management (that I played, in any case) is the DK, and that's just to optimize your rotation, not to make sure that you're budgeting yourself well enough so you don't go OoM and do nothing for the rest of the fight.
BfA did give me a few good fights with Mythic+ but ultimately most of the challenge I faced was when I was playing with people who weren't familiar with the mechanics. Playing with friends and guildies removed most of the challenge from Mythic+ unless the mutators are completely bonkers.

I do not see how Blizzard trying to improve flawed content (e.g., heroic Warfronts) is worse than throwing volley after volley of bad ideas and hoping one sticks (e.g., mounted combat). We will just have to agree to disagree on this point.
I don't think you quite understand what I was saying here. My point was that Blizzard has never, ever tried to improve poor content and so it's more desirable that they abandon what's bad and try something else. Ideally they'd fix what's broken, but historically this has never happened in WoW, so it's a pointless exercise to hope that they will start doing that now. instead of doing either of those they are keeping what's bad and telling you to suck it up until the next expansion when things might be better again, but probably not given how Blizzcon went down.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I remember helping to give the battlemaster claustrophobia in TBC for my welfare epic PVP gear because I was new and didnt know shit about how to gear, the LFD in wrath was the beginning of the decline for me though. I levelled a druid, as bear, and the community was in its early stages of shitawful back then but it was only 5%, most people were if not openly polite, quietly neutral and we all just got along to finish the thing to never see each other again. Wintersgrasp was the perfect open world pvp solution they stumbled across, Tol Barad was just another helping of shit, dont even remember the MoP one and Ashran was just fucking cancerous busywork, at least in wintsergrasp you had the opportunity to survive against overwhelming odds, 4 vs 40? No problem, tenacity made you a living god of mayhem and murder, so at least on the woefully imbalanced servers the side with fewer numbers could bully their way to victory if the other side was particularly disorganized BG fight in mid and avoid objective types.

Mythic+ is a great idea, decent execution, but the class adjustments are a fucking joke, while they say bring the player not the class, they make retarded designs like shadowpriest then stubbornly stick to them after an entire 2+ years of being told by the community where its problems are and suggestions on how to fix it, nah, sorry cant fix it I am great developer mans and my ideas, concepts and designs are perfect in every way, now stop interrupting me and let me get back to huffing my own farts. They let Demo lie DEAD for the entirety of Legion (PvP monster though) and just cant seem to fathom a concept where they might actually be wrong on an issue. Feckless drunk scions inheriting their forebears great name busy running its reputation and wealth into the mud. Challenge modes were better versions of M+ just without the RNG loot, but back then you had utility spells, actual distinctions between class archetypes and it wasnt Mongo the shit out of every room but closer to Vanilla and TBC dungeoning where you would employ more CC and pull conservatively, with overgearing and it eventually turns into grab a bunch and everyone pops CD's, tank to survive, dps to cleaveclown and healer to keep everyone above 1 HP and you start selling carries for gold. Mind you not having played BFA I dont know if they are at that stage of gearing yet but that was prety much my experience in Legion, great big dumb aoe pulls and cd's all to get some shitstat ring or relic nobody wanted. Mmmmm Versatility, hey monk, you use this shit right?

If people are still enjoying it more power to you, I had to stop supporting them after Spriest, Enhance and Elemental got screwed in July with a 'Oops we ran out of time to get your class ready for next xpack, you get to wait for a patch!' bullshit, I lost all hope that they had competent managers delegating tasks and manpower and enough fucking chutzpah to do that to an, albeit marginal, portion of their playerbase, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Puukko

Arcane
Got some opinions from the perspective of a GM/active HC/Mythic raider, mostly in comparison to Legion.

Class design is a step down, balance is a step up. Legion had plenty of issues with balance, especially early on with some specs not being viable until Tomb. Numbers wise it appears healthier now, but it took them months to fix some specs after launch when they were absolutely fine in Legion and could've just done with some tweaking, yet my dear shadow priest got butchered while brewmaster is 90% the same. Adding class specific buffs/debuffs is a small step away from class homogenization, but for raiding purposes most classes are interchangeable and strengths/weaknesses only really come into play in mythic+.

Gearing is ass. Getting that sweet 25 titanforge feels good at that moment, but as a whole it is unhealthy to rely on luck so much. Removing tertiaries and capping it to warforged would go a long way. Tier sets weren't necessarily exciting, but azerite gear as a whole is just a nuisance. At launch traits were uninteresting dps procs and buffs that did nothing to change your playstyle and attaining azerite gear was unreliable, and still is, but they have at least acknowledged this and added more ways to earn it. The new traits spice things up a bit and you actually have to be aware of some of them, but I still preferred the artifact system in Legion. You had slow, steady growth earning traits that added some depth to the gameplay. Now you might even take steps back if you gain higher ilvl gear with less traits unlocked. Going backwards describes BFA quite well - losing all that power we gained in the last expansion felt worse than before and getting weaker as you leveled was just no fun. Legendaries were a flawed system but that was largely in part due to the unreliable methods in which you attained them and their balance issues which largely got ironed out. After that they brought some depth as you had to choose between multiple good pieces and sometimes drops dps Legendaries for defensive ones. Seems to be a trend with the game now - release very flawed system, mostly iron it out later and introduce catchup tools. You'd expect this from a novice dev, not a 15 year MMO vereran developing the biggest MMO on the market.

RNG is not quite as bad as in Legion but it is clearly there especially in gearing. The devs must have an RNG quota to meet or they get the hose from the suits. Carrot on a stick is a staple for MMOs and other loot fests but the lack of reliability behind loot is frustrating. The lack of control over loot drops during raids combined with the retarded restrictions on trading make for too many headaches. Got a 400 int staff that you wanna trade to a guildie? Sorry, can't do, your 400 MH and OH don't count, need to have a 400 staff in your bags. Oh, now a 400 agi staff dropped for you? Too bad, that int staff doesn't count, need an agi one as well to be able to trade that.

Uldir started off alright but came with some derious burnout later and my guild was barely active for 1.5 months. The aesthetics didn't help - I don't want to see a single blood troll ever again. It shared this with EN I suppose, but corruption is at least mildly better as a theme than pustulence and period blood magic. BoD is fun so far, they're reusing assets heavily but at least there's a lore reason as you're attacking/defending a capital. Jaina is a cool fight (quite literally) while the first boss is the weakest in a long time. It's a weird mix of important lore characters and literal whos. I am interested in seeing where the story goes, but only playing one faction means you'll be in the dark over quite a lot of details. This ape boss? Has an actual story that is quite sad but for hordies he's just an ape to be killed and forgotten. I do look forward to Nazjatar and the eventual N'zoth finale. The cinematics they've added must be where their budget is going.

Mythic+ continues being one of the better systems in the game. It was surprisingly mature when introduced in Legion and has seen some small tweaks and additions but nothing major. I wish they added more dungeons to support it.

Warfronts... Yeah. Stoking that WC3 nostalgia with content that is laughably easy that you have no reason to return to after your free 400 item, or outside gearing alts.

I give it a filler expansion/10.

Darkman

Educated
Game wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much RNG attached to everything and you got rewards proportionate to your effort.

You have warfronts which are braindead content in which the developers themselves had to come out and clarify that it's possible to lose them ---reward heroic level gear that can titan forge to the best gear in the game. That's right, the best gear possible can be awarded from content you can’t fail.

There has never been a point where gear has mattered less.

Lurker47

Savant
The most interesting thing about WoW at this point is seeing how the developers are constantly trying to :balance: the game and revive a feeling of progression and utterly failing at it. It's a looking-glass for clueless developers and an increasingly weary playerbase. Their results are never really optimal but at the very least, they provide some (unintended and overlooked) insight into game design that is often valuable and profound.

It's like the China of videogame developers.
:necro:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well they trivialize everything except the newest most current mythic content so obviously people are gonna get pissed when they need to waste hundreds of hours grinding through some dumbass progression just to experience some sense of challenge.

Pre-Cata WoW was garbage in a lot of ways but one thing it did nicely was provide a sense of challenge at all levels, not just at max level with max gear

Divine Blessing

Scholar
Pre-Cata WoW was garbage in a lot of ways but one thing it did nicely was provide a sense of challenge at all levels, not just at max level with max gear

u mouseclicked ur hotkeys? the sole challenge of Pre-Cata WoW was not to die of boredom due to repetitive grind to endgame, no one rational lvld via BGs, cuz Twinks.

only convinience was able to save the Raid, even WoD couldnt kill LFR/G. pl just dont want to farm 3h soulshards before Raidstart (after 3 weeks of sleep-depraved pwrgmng before heirlooms to catch-up to friends and family - reference to Vanilla as exemplatory metaphor), gather at Dala-Square for Gearcheck and be flamed on TS for rolling 100 on Bryntroll...
the focus on endgame is the (eco)logical evoluton of 14 years aeons of staggered progression, as if +1% talents were fun. leveling wasnt fun pre 7.3.5, scaling and xp-stretch neither, removal of latter finally verified dev-sidewise Wow lvlng was never fun, simply new to some virgins that didnt EQ, DAOC, AO etc.
logical evolution as this game didnt have any other flavor than the odd Warcraft bonus (see ages of debates on balancing, progression, itemisation etc, for Vanilla the first world without Loading Screen), the majority was always exclusively in for the final stage of progression: endgame.

it isnt as much a psychological issue of player expectation (ascendency as a service) but a economical competence question (focus on negatives or positives?).

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

u mouseclicked ur hotkeys? the sole challenge of Pre-Cata WoW was not to die of boredom due to repetitive grind to endgame, no one rational lvld via BGs, cuz Twinks.

You had to be mindful to not pull too many mobs during quests, you couldn't steamroll through dungeons, etc.. I've never liked WoW I'm just saying that pre cata the game started at level 1 rather than starting after 500 hours of play

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Azshara patch looks mildly interesting. I will probably buy and sub for that (plus I can play Classic at the same time). I have like $200ish in fake Battle.net money and since most of Acti-Blizz's games are horrible it's not like I have anything to spend it on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom