Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God Tier RPGs/Games of the past few years

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Curratum

What would the scope of "few years" be?

Otherwise:
Witcher 3 - the most fun I've had with a game in 15 years.
Dark Souls 3 was good clean fun, I guess...
The Witness was surprisingly good.

Dragon Quest 11 might make it on that list when I'm done with it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
No idea what makes a game become god tier but this console generation had it few really great games

This console generation:

Nier Automata
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Witcher 3
Divinity: Orginal Sin 2
Pyre
Deus Ex Mankind divided
Deadfire
Spelllforce 3

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
God tier games of the last few years: *crickets*

Wrong.

serveimage

EDIT:

Also is it supposed to be RPG's or any games. Because I am seeing a whole lot of non-RPG's being thrown around here.

Deleted Member 16721

It's meant to be RPGs or other genres hopefully related to RPGs and only in the past 3 or so years.

Trashos

Arcane
Underrail
Age of Decadence

Truly two god-tier RPGs.

Haven't gotten round to playing Kingmaker yet.

LordofSyn

Scholar
It's meant to be RPGs or other genres hopefully related to RPGs and only in the past 3 or so years.
Thank you for adding Star Traders Frontiers on your list. I really wish more people would be willing to really dig into it. It also has some pretty amazing updates still left on the Dev Roadmap and the Trese Brothers are phenomenal in their update scheduling as well as just general daily activity in the community. Their next game will meet or exceed STF and that is always a good thing.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Deleted Member 16721

I really like Star Traders so far, that 20 hours was enough to call it God Tier. It's a very good game, stable, solid, easy to learn and play yet hard to master. It's put together very well overall. Hoping more people check it out because it's a quality niche title that does more than bigger brands do.

Oracsbox

Elex,Witcher and Kingdom Come are not God tier yes you might like the world building and writing or whatever but they're clunky as fuck to play.

The economy in them is usually broken in about 5 minutes although that's true for most games. The Witchers inventory is horrific,combat for all of them isn't great or is just straight up crap.Kingdom Come still shits itself with some quests being easily broken.I could go on..

I enjoyed them but they have a lot of flaws and God Tier to me is flawless.

A flawless game can still be mediocre. God tier to me means that it pushes boundaries in atleast one gamedesign element while not completely failing in another, rendering its strengths meaningless. That doesnt mean it may not have any flaws at all.
I agree flawless games can be mediocre,however God tier does suggest perfection.I also agree on liking games that are horrible messes,perhaps the thread should have been worded slightly differently so as not to annoy stickler's like me.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dank souls 3 is shit tier at best, what happened to codex

Why? Because you can roll spam without timing and avoid everything?

More than that.

-Poise working as intended
-the alterations to make the combat more appealing to Bloodborne players, which goes against the nature of Dark Souls combat
-Fanservice
-using yet again a lot of the same ideas we've already seen since Demon's Souls
-Bosses play mostly the same, and some just go on for way too long
-worst PVP in the series, because how meta the mechanics became
-nice mechanics like dual wielding, power stance and the well done stats of DS2 are just gone
-5 of the same fucking games, and they still didn't fix collision detection
-the few enemies that are great to fight are mostly from other entries
-enemy mobs seems to have been placed without much though to them, and it's disgusting how most of them are harder than a lot of the bosses
-the Souls games were very good because of their atmosphere, levels, exploration and mystery overall; while the combat was decent, it wasn't as well realized as these other aspects and as such wasn't the real focus of the games; in DS3, From seems to have forgotten that and made the combat it's focus while sacrificing the other aspects; because of that, the game was bound to fail as a worthy sequel
-this point is the hardest to explain, because it's also the most subjective: while most levels are well designed, they just don't feel as charming as they were in DeS and DS 1/2; they seem to have been developed in the most boring way possible; like... they thought of a cathedral and then increased it to the third power - the first area for example, just seems like a city on top another city; it's big but empty, and when everything is that big and amazing, it loses impact halfway trough.

This are the criticisms I can think of the top of my head.

While I wouldn't call it a shit game, it's definitively the worst one From released since DeS.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah. You should write up reviews with your verbose writing style. Way to back your claim.
Was that enough sarcasm?

I explained this in the megathread for the game but the basic problem is the game's structure is designed to punish you for interacting with it in most ways. I'm certain the developers think they're making some kind of point about the futility of violence.

You get attacked constantly and there is no way to deal with the situation without reputation loss. If you attack the 'bandit' you lose rep with someone, but don't gain any with anyone else, so these losses pile up until everyone hates you, everywhere. Then you can't finish quests and get attacked constantly, because you dared to fight bandits who attacked you first you horrible fascist. There is also no way to 'wield' your own rep to get others to back down, no one is ever afraid of their own reputation loss.
If you run you ALSO lose rep, for 'being a coward.' ???? Srsly fuck this game.

The way you're supposed to play it is start every fight then run after you take a few hits. This can minimize your rep loss and hopefully your quest gains will balance it out. It's a stupid horrid system, it's just an elaborate running away simulator.

Farewell into the night

You can add Heroine's Quest to the list. It's from 2014.

LordofSyn

Scholar
I explained this in the megathread for the game but the basic problem is the game's structure is designed to punish you for interacting with it in most ways. I'm certain the developers think they're making some kind of point about the futility of violence.

You get attacked constantly and there is no way to deal with the situation without reputation loss. If you attack the 'bandit' you lose rep with someone, but don't gain any with anyone else, so these losses pile up until everyone hates you, everywhere. Then you can't finish quests and get attacked constantly, because you dared to fight bandits who attacked you first you horrible fascist. There is also no way to 'wield' your own rep to get others to back down, no one is ever afraid of their own reputation loss.

The way you're supposed to play it is start every fight then run after you take a few hits. This can minimize your rep loss and hopefully your quest gains will balance it out. It's a stupid horrid system, it's just an elaborate running away simulator.
The political simulation is much deeper than that. I understand that many games, over the years, have taught you what to expect about games. STF does require you to rethink how the politics amongst the different systems of zones across quadrants of a large galactic network will act.
Since you cannot go full warband, you realize that brute forcing your way through your career will result in life like ways. You will be wanted and will usually die. Rep is easy to recover and you will experience fluctuations but can be managed as long as you pay attention. Choose your enemies wisely and just remember that you will always have to deal with areas where you are disliked and will have services cut off. A career can span hundreds of years and you will have just as many bad experiences as good ones in your storied life.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

The political simulation is much deeper than that. I understand that many games, over the years, have taught you what to expect about games. STF does require you to rethink how the politics amongst the different systems of zones across quadrants of a large galactic network will act.
Since you cannot go full warband, you realize that brute forcing your way through your career will result in life like ways. You will be wanted and will usually die. Rep is easy to recover and you will experience fluctuations but can be managed as long as you pay attention. Choose your enemies wisely and just remember that you will always have to deal with areas where you are disliked and will have services cut off. A career can span hundreds of years and you will have just as many bad experiences as good ones in your storied life.

That's dumb though. Running away from every fight is boring AF, and I don't think it's remotely 'deep.' If the simulation cared about realism then bandits would be enemies to all and unprovoked attacks would be fair game for reprisal. It's like china or belgium hating you for killing somali pirates. They're fucking pirates, end of story. Enemies should be just as worried about losing rep as you are, but they're not. Making a game where the point of every combat is to flee is fucking stupid.

It's really odd because the ship combat system is very decent. The game just punishes you whenever you interact with it in any way. So you're stuck doing the dumb random dice roll card missions and fleeing from the actual fun battles.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ghost of a Tale
The Nameless Mod
West of Loathing
Trails of something something go play Falcom games they are the best thing to come out of Japan since the California roll
Enderal and Nehrim for the setting
Sabres of Infinity
Sorcery!
Dark Souls 3 was the best Dark Souls

I was going to write Hollow Knight but instead I'll just write the entire genre of indie platformer jumpy things that was started with Braid in 2006 and Cave Story before that and has more or less gone unbaited.

There's so fucking many of the things and they are mostly pretty good because it seems liek as long as you make good looking art it is literally impossible to fuck up those games as a game developer, Ori and the Blind Forest etc

Yakuza 0 was probably the most hilarious shit though but I can't really defend the gameplay, but the stories have me in tears. Most enjoyment I've ever had playing a video game I'll be honest
There's nothing glaringly wrong with the Yakuza 0 gameplay though. Also there are good things about Enderal and Nehrim aside from the setting. Some of the quests/dungeons are really fun.

What does Sabres of Infinity do well? I agree with the rest of your list more or less (including the golden age that Platformers are going through), so I'm curious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom