Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 was bad, admit it.

How do you rate Gothic 3?

• Very good

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Good

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Okay

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Abysmal

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Arcania <3

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters

sullynathan

Arcane
It's definitely the most ambitious Piranha bytes game that finally tried to not be a remake of Gothic 2, even though it fell flat on its head.

JDR13

Arcane
Are you sure you're not thnking of a different battle? I don't remember anything but Orcs ever being present in the opening scene.

Sykar

Arcane
To me Gothic 3 is about as bad as Oblivion with a caveat though, unlike Oblivion it had glimpses of good ideas but they were so horrendously implemented like the reputation system. What really put me off how the orcs changed from the previous two games. It was somewhat of a 180 degree turn. I tried the community patch, but it changes nothing for me about the fundamentally crappy gameplay and the moronic story.
And do not get me started on that expan... cash grab.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Are you sure you're not thnking of a different battle? I don't remember anything but Orcs ever being present in the opening scene.

Well, if it WAS a demo, it's quite possible that it wasn't from the beginning of the game, so yes, it's possible it was from a different battle. It's been sooo long, and like I said, i started the game three different times and never got more than an hour into it before quitting because it always annoyed me that that tiny piss-ant of a single goblin was marked essential and unkillable so maybe it all merged into muck inside my head and I'm confusing some later part of the game for another. Are there at least giant humanoids in Gothic 3? I think they were carrying clubs IIRC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
G3 is, indeed, bad. Community patch or not. The patches can help with the awful combat but they can't fix the core design failings as mentioned in the OP. Only thing I disagree with is that I thought the story was fine and the logical progression after G1 and G2.

I could never finish Gothic 3, but for a game that I could not finish it sure left me some vivid memories.

Such as the sun shining through the mountains before the early patches.

Weird to think we were closer to Fallout then than we are to Gothic 3 itself now. It really has been a long time.

JDR13

Arcane
Well, if it WAS a demo, it's quite possible that it wasn't from the beginning of the game, so yes, it's possible it was from a different battle. It's been sooo long, and like I said, i started the game three different times and never got more than an hour into it before quitting because it always annoyed me that that tiny piss-ant of a single goblin was marked essential and unkillable so maybe it all merged into muck inside my head and I'm confusing some later part of the game for another. Are there at least giant humanoids in Gothic 3? I think they were carrying clubs IIRC.

There are Ogres that wield stone club/axe looking weapons. However, I don't think they're ever teamed up with Orcs at any point. Orcs generally attack anything that's not an Orc.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just had a sweet flashback to only the second RPG I ever played - Pool of Radiance and the ogres and trolls clubbing my little group senseless with their gargantuan wooden clubs. And then when I finally managed to defeat a particularly fierce onslaught of trolls after a LONG battle, I discovered to my horror and yet great joy that trolls regenerate, and what was finally dead a few minutes earlier rose up to club me senseless again. It was my first regenerated troll. Who the fuck knew that trolls needed fire to be finished off? Certainly not I.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One thing I discovered about community patches or unofficial patches is that they can sometimes break a game. I remember playing Oblivion with the Unofficial Patch that had tens of thousands of downloads and it actually broke an important quest line. I had to console in a cheat to get an vital key that went missing due to the patch to progress. So community patches aren't always for the better. And some of these "restored lost content" mods can be tedious, putting stuff back in that the original developers thought were shit or severely messed with the pacing of the game and decided to cut.

Abhay

Augur
It was on launch, but I still love the game (rated: good). It has improved the experience quite a lot over time.

JustLooking

Scholar
Turning orcs from savage hunchbacks into shreks with sidebuns killed the game before it even started.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My grandest disappointment of all gaming, after Gothic 2 and Night of the Raven my hype was off the charts. I died a bit inside when G3 first released.
It's an OK game nowadays with them patches.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I couldn't get it to run in period appropriate hardware. I would say that's pretty bad. Haven't touched it since it came out, though.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So to try how much mods and patches improve the game (My playtroughs were only vanilla so far) I decided to install all this shit like CP, content patch or update patch.
So far it's not THAT bad, although after 6 hours of playing Alternate AI I decided to switch it off. Game was obviously not designed to be played this way, even though I use max range weapon (halberd) I can't kill fucking goblin with a stick, he has bigger range than me. It's just pointless to play this way, most unfair gameplay I've seen for a long time, you can't "learn" or git gud beceause system is too inconsistent and buggy.

SlamDunk

Arcane
A bad game is not something I want to play through 2 times over, which I have done. With Community Patch installed, of course.

It is true, though, that Gothic 3 is a dumbed-down version of the previous games. Still, it has got its own charm that appeals to me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is even worse than all the Elder Scrolls games. And that's really saying something. All the other Gothic games were terrible too though, but the third one especially. Arcania was so bad it doesn't even deserve talking about.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The correct ratings goes like this:

Real RPGs or Action Games
. (imagine 20 more of these dots)
The shitty Elder Scrolls series
The shitty Two Worlds series
The whole crappy Gothic series
Brain cancer

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished it once and it wasn't really worth it and the community patch really just lets you choose what kind of bullshit you want to deal with. Either way combat still comes down to *clickclickclickclick* and hope you stunlock the other guy before he stunlocks you. You also want to pour everything into getting a really big weapon so that you can *clickclickclickclick* people from farther away. Oh and if you see a wolf or a boar, better just reload right now and find a way around.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished Gothic 3 - was my first Gothic
* Had no idea who the characters were or what was going on. Game didn't do much to provide backstory to newbies.
* Finally made it to the end/sand area and spoke to some folks who knew me, but no real satisfying ending after 100+ hours of this
* Coin sized teleporter stones that were difficult to find
* 89 spoons on my character at all time
* Patched, was playable but staggering overheating when playing unpatched. So bad it would shut down my system.
Oh and if you see a wolf or a boar, better just reload right now and find a way around.
Yeah, this I thought was ridiculous. Without a spear, just reload. With spear, no real challenge.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I finished it once and it wasn't really worth it and the community patch really just lets you choose what kind of bullshit you want to deal with. Either way combat still comes down to *clickclickclickclick* and hope you stunlock the other guy before he stunlocks you. You also want to pour everything into getting a really big weapon so that you can *clickclickclickclick* people from farther away. Oh and if you see a wolf or a boar, better just reload right now and find a way around.
This is true. And explains why the people who defend the Gothic games are morons. They are all shit. There are some things I like about them but they are far outweighed by how bad everything else is. I can't believe some people are so starved of something to do that they would play through something like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RETARDED WHINING THAT I DIDNT EVEN READ!
Go and eat a bag full of broken glass and shit.!.
images

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom