Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You detect secrets either with the Scouting skill or with the Detect Secret spell, which should be on all the time in new dungeons, in my opinion.

Detecting something can mean:
- There is a hidden button
- There is an illusion wall
- Use "Look" to find something on the tile

Detecting Safe Havens is similar (Scout skill), but you are told specifically that you found a Safe Haven.

Jazz_

Arcane
I got 2 party members paralyzed in that garden you have to climb to reach (crescent garden? something like that, where you meet the priestess of the wicker man cult), the problem is that I don't have any spell to cure paralysis, and I can't even experiment with some potions I have in my inventory as they are too paralyzed to use items (I doubt I have items that can cure paralysis anyway). I've read somewhere that if you go to the shrine of the raptor you can heal or you can buy potions in Crowl apparently but I can't climb down because of the two disabled members, is there anything I can do at this point other than reloading an early save? I had already cleared the bestiary and part of the pagan temple so it's kinda annoying to reload and go thru it again...

Dorateen

Arcane
I think you can sleep off paralysis, but it takes a long time. Also, if a paralyzed character is hit in battle, there is a chance the paralysis can be broken, so that is an option.

Otherwise, it's best to store up those remove paralysis potions in case of emergency situations. The remove paralysis spell is fairly high level.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I got 2 party members paralyzed in that garden you have to climb to reach (crescent garden? something like that, where you meet the priestess of the wicker man cult), the problem is that I don't have any spell to cure paralysis, and I can't even experiment with some potions I have in my inventory as they are too paralyzed to use items (I doubt I have items that can cure paralysis anyway). I've read somewhere that if you go to the shrine of the raptor you can heal or you can buy potions in Crowl apparently but I can't climb down because of the two disabled members, is there anything I can do at this point other than reloading an early save? I had already cleared the bestiary and part of the pagan temple so it's kinda annoying to reload and go thru it again...
Can you dismiss paralyzed party members? If yes, dismiss them, return to the Shrine of the Raptor, reclaim your party members, if they're still paralyzed then cure them using that special space in the Shrine of the Raptor, and stop to buy cure paralysis potions on your way back to Crescent Wilderness (or Crescent Valley, if that's where you are).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
what do i do with all this gold (or any gold?), donate to crowl's crippled thugs charity?
i need to translate this into some form of staying power because this multiclassing bullshit has left me with very weak magic.
i cant even increase magic skills because i (hopefully correctly) assume i wont be able to use litany with necro after class change.

If you acquire the Patron Argent, you can begin to buy higher levels with that cold hard cash. First you have to find it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I think you can sleep off paralysis, but it takes a long time. Also, if a paralyzed character is hit in battle, there is a chance the paralysis can be broken, so that is an option.

Otherwise, it's best to store up those remove paralysis potions in case of emergency situations. The remove paralysis spell is fairly high level.

I was copying Wizardry 7, where instead of just getting all instant-cure everything right off the bat, you sometimes have to drag party members around for a while until you figure out how to cure them or restore their magic points or fix something wrong with them like a cursed item. I did not want to emulate modern games where you rest/click heal icon and everything magically goes away. Much later you can do this but levels 1-7 wanted this to still require some thinking. Wiz 7 was also more like tabletop RPG in this sense where illnesses pose a dilemma and nothing is just click'n'heal like an arcade game.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
4x Drow Metalsmith
CRAxVtB

Why?

I could get having one as some freakish larper's whim, but four?? Did you not get the memo that humans and drow in this game don't exist?

Sleeping at a Hearth now restores hitpoints and magic points at twice the normal rate. Locating Hearths to use to assist in recovery is now a thing in the game as of V2.0.0.20 just updated.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Some rings have like magic properties (spells and stuff) but how do you use them? Is it a passive thing where they get triggered randomly?

That's one of the things that you can only see by equipping a magical item and checking if any resistances changed. Other things are even less clear, such as an item giving you permanent invisibility - which you only learn about in the SuperID-description but cannot actually see anywhere in the stats.

As to the items that have spells, it's more straightforward: Unless you use them, the spells are not triggered. Some of the weapons seem to be an exception, eg. Caliburnus has a limited number of spells that get triggered on hit. And when that runs out, it just does its normal damage.

I just checked and the Recharge spell works now. The Caliburnus gets 7 spell charges again, while the Waterwalking shoes get 9 charges (Recharge Level VII).

Modified skills, attributes and resistances can be detected by asterisks in character review or colored dots in the Resistance display.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
When Assassins and Jesters are fighting open hands now (HAND2HAND skill) if they have LETHAL BLOW above or equal to 75 they begin to attempt to do a lethal blow upon penetration. This only applies to Assassins and Jesters, no other classes can do Lethal Blows to opponents with open hand combat. IRON HANDS still applies to double/triple/quandruple damage upon penetration.

Gunnar

Arbiter
When Assassins and Jesters are fighting open hands now (HAND2HAND skill) if they have LETHAL BLOW above or equal to 75 they begin to attempt to do a lethal blow upon penetration. This only applies to Assassins and Jesters, no other classes can do Lethal Blows to opponents with open hand combat. IRON HANDS still applies to double/triple/quandruple damage upon penetration.

I like this change, it creates a reason to end up on assassin. How does their ability to land a lethal blow compare to everyone else? Is it starting at a low chance level once you hit 75 and maxing out at a lower level than everyone else or is it unlocking at a normal chance level immediately once you hit 75?

Sonic Titan

Educated

I was copying Wizardry 7, where instead of just getting all instant-cure everything right off the bat, you sometimes have to drag party members around for a while until you figure out how to cure them or restore their magic points or fix something wrong with them like a cursed item. I did not want to emulate modern games where you rest/click heal icon and everything magically goes away. Much later you can do this but levels 1-7 wanted this to still require some thinking. Wiz 7 was also more like tabletop RPG in this sense where illnesses pose a dilemma and nothing is just click'n'heal like an arcade game.

This exact feature was something I've already faced in my current (and first) play-through. One of my front-line berserkers became diseased and I had no way to cure it. All sorts of maladies befell him. I pulled some strings, charmed some NPCs and put my Thief to work on a whim and "borrowed" a scroll (or book? Can't remember) of Cure Disease and went about my way.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Classes not to take:

Jester - It takes too long to build it. You are better off recruiting chuckles if you want one.
Necromancer - forces you to single class, which means low hit points.
Ranger - there is nothing wrong with ranger but it basically competes with warrior, and ranger attribute gains in crappy categories. Good for multiclassing only.
Berserker - you have to be a berserker to use the skill and the skill is dangerous to use until you max it out. This forces you to single class, which means low hit points, or do limited multiclassing which puts off berserking a long time. Good for multiclassing only.
Pirate - you can get all his skills elsewhere, he has high attribute costs and XP requirements, and unimpressive HP gains. No reason to end up on pirate. Possibly useful for multiclassing.

Viata

Arcane
What is the problem with single classes? I finished the game with only single classes, which included a Ranger and 2(if I'm not mistaken) Berserker.

Gunnar

Arbiter
No problem really, it's just that you can easily gather hit points, attributes and skills with multiclassing that single class characters don't have, so it makes sense to plan a few class changes when designing a character. Necromancer and Berserker classes work better as single class by design, I'm saying this is not as desirable because they'll have lower hit points, attributes and skills than a character that did some class changes.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Jester - It takes too long to build it. You are better off recruiting chuckles if you want one.

By the end game, Chuckles had a pretty low amount of HP. Having your own Jester is certainly better.

Not if you end up on one after multiclassing.

Ranger - there is nothing wrong with ranger but it basically competes with warrior

Ranger has Lethal Blow, the Warrior doesn't. Also, only Rangers and Metalsmiths have Accuracy, which can come in handy if you don't start out at the Sanctuary and want to use the Laser Guns before the endgame.

Gunnar

Arbiter

By the end game, Chuckles had a pretty low amount of HP. Having your own Jester is certainly better.
It would be better to have your own Jester, but I'm saying it's not worth the time it takes to build one. Sounds like Chuckles may not be worth it either?

but all of his cool necromancer only spells are very high level, you would never see them.

Ranger - there is nothing wrong with ranger but it basically competes with warrior

Ranger has Lethal Blow, the Warrior doesn't. Also, only Rangers and Metalsmiths have Accuracy, which can come in handy if you don't start out at the Sanctuary and want to use the Laser Guns before the endgame.

Start as Ranger, get lethal blow or accuracy, class change to warrior, enjoy better HP and attribute gains.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

but all of his cool necromancer only spells are very high level, you would never see them.

This is supposed to be the appeal of Necromancers - they start out as basket cases you have to protect like fragile china, but once they achieve higher levels they begin to use spells the other classes can only dream about, like killing all the monsters in one round with a Deathwish, etc.

Gunnar

Arbiter

This is supposed to be the appeal of Necromancers - they start out as basket cases you have to protect like fragile china, but once they achieve higher levels they begin to use spells the other classes can only dream about, like killing all the monsters in one round with a Deathwish, etc.

If I was comparing them to other classes, I'd put them in the 'Just for fun' category. It would be cool if there was some way they could get higher hit points. Like if they get a kill they have a chance of gaining a hit point.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

If I was comparing them to other classes, I'd put them in the 'Just for fun' category. It would be cool if there was some way they could get higher hit points. Like if they get a kill they have a chance of gaining a hit point.

That might be an idea.

No but really. They are necromancers, after all.

Have to think about that one a little.

Might be cool if they somehow absorb the life force of those they kill and get stronger. "Life Drain" sucks hitpoints from others but doesn't increase their max. Might try to subtly modify some of these spells.

Upon successfully casting the "Life Drain" there might be a special instance for the Necromancer where if it is successful, he gains a single max point to his HP based on a saving throw using his spell casting skill.

Would only require a few extra lines in the spell script and some testing, pretty simple.

Gunnar

Arbiter

That might be an idea.

Might be cool if they somehow absorb the life force of those they kill and get stronger. "Life Drain" sucks hitpoints from others but doesn't increase their max. Might try to subtly modify some of these spells.

Upon successfully casting the "Life Drain" there might be a special instance for the Necromancer where if it is successful, he gains a single max point to his HP based on a saving throw using his spell casting skill.

Would only require a few extra lines in the spell script and some testing, pretty simple.

If you restrict it to the Life Drain spell, I would still be waiting to the very end of the game (level 13) to gain the bonus and it would force me to cast Life Drain constantly, which would suck because at that point I want to be throwing around the new death spells I just learned. My recommendation would be to have it proc on Finger of Death, so it gives me something cool to do with my Necromancer starting at level 8. That's still pretty far into character development, and I'm going to be spamming Finger of Death at that point anyway. It should also work with Death Cloud, Death Gaze, Life Drain and Death Wish. Maybe give life drain a greater chance of it working, or something like that.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

That might be an idea.

If you restrict it to the Life Drain spell, I would still be waiting to the very end of the game (level 13) to gain the bonus and it would force me to cast Life Drain constantly, which would suck because at that point I want to be throwing around the new death spells I just learned. My recommendation would be to have it proc on Finger of Death, so it gives me something cool to do with my Necromancer starting at level 8. That's still pretty far into character development, and I'm going to be spamming Finger of Death at that point anyway. It should also work with Death Cloud, Death Gaze, Life Drain and Death Wish. Maybe give life drain a greater chance of it working, or something like that.

All of those spells plus even much lower levels like "Wither" (with higher saving throw) only applied to the Necromancer would introduce a new mechanic into the game that could be very cool and not much work to implement.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Soul eating Necromancers slowly becoming the most powerful entities in the game. You can see the incline happening in real time, folks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom