Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Unfortunately, game development scene is still quite the circlejerk, in which every dev is expected to say only positive things (or at the very least not negative things) about another dev...

Unless you are MCA & the topic's about Obsidian:

Uge.gif

found gif looks a bit like MCA lol
bit too handsome to be mca

Gerrard

Arcane
https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...ppy-with-fans-bashing-bethesda-and-fallout-76

lmao

Obsidian Isn't Happy With Fans Bashing Bethesda And Fallout 76
This month at Game Informer, we're highlighting our new cover story on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds. We're rolling out a ton of exclusive information on the game, but we wanted to take a quick detour and address a recurring theme we're seeing in the comments and discussion surrounding the game. While visiting the studio, we spoke with Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart about fans using the existence of The Outer Worlds as ammo to attack Bethesda and the release of Fallout 76.

Urquhart says he's surprised that some people assume the team at Obsidian would know back in 2015 when they started working on The Outer Worlds that the game's announcement would line up with a negative reaction toward Bethesda's Fallout 76 at the end of 2018. "People even said things about our trailer: 'Oh man, just slamming it home to Bethesda!' because we said the original creators of Fallout and makers of Fallout: New Vegas. We have storyboards from July that said that," he says. "I have no ill will for Bethesda, I love playing Fallout games... We’re not fighting for the same dollars."

"This isn’t meant to be negative – it can probably be taken as negative. We really enjoyed making Fallout: New Vegas and people really enjoy Fallout: New Vegas," Urquhart says. "Bethesda is looking to take the Fallout brand in a different direction. There's nothing right or wrong about that. That’s their choice. They own it, they get to do what they want with it. But in our mind, there are people that enjoy where Fallout was. That is what we wanted to do with The Outer Worlds, to give people that. And you know what? Maybe that’s a bad decision from the standpoint of the number of people that will buy it. I don’t know… People seem to really enjoy what Fallout: New Vegas was, so let's give them an experience that's as similar as we can to that."

To learn more about Obisdian's thoughts on fans comparing their game to Fallout 76, watch the interview below with The Outer Worlds' co-directors Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky where they explain that they're not happy with fans attacking Bethesda's work.

Cross

Arcane
I find it hard to believe this is Cain and Boyarsky's dream project when it's such an obvious attempt to bank on the positive reputation of Fallout: New Vegas, an Obsidian game neither of them had any involvement with. Yet for some baffling reason, they decided that what people really must have liked about New Vegas and that they had to recreate were the terrible combat and VATS. Even the laughably awkward killcam looks like it came straight out of a Bethesda game.

The focus on companions is also much more characteristic of Obsidian games than it is of Troika games.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree, but I’ll play it anyway, because Cainarsky.

The next game they make will also be their dream project. I just happen to like New Vegas, and that’s why I’m following it.

Divinity OS2 was the ultimate Larian RPG. Now they call their upcoming game the ultimate RPG. Buzzwords is part of it all.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's not just the colour palette they chose, those alien monsters look low effort too. Combined with dated F:NV / ME / DA:O character models style, it's quite repellent.

I guess now the only thing to look forward to in the next video is how they've done missions, storytelling and CnC.

Codex Year of the Donut
I find it hard to believe this is Cain and Boyarsky's dream project when it's such an obvious attempt to bank on the positive reputation of Fallout: New Vegas, an Obsidian game neither of them had any involvement with. Yet for some baffling reason, they decided that what people really must have liked about New Vegas and that they had to recreate were the terrible combat and VATS. Even the laughably awkward killcam looks like it came straight out of a Bethesda game.

The focus on companions is also much more characteristic of Obsidian games than it is of Troika games.
VATS was a good thing.

Molina

Savant

Fallout 1 cinematics was in first person, because they wanted to do a First person sequel.
Now, when I see the scope of arcanum, it's hard to believe their dream was a linear RPG.

Yosharian

Arcane
Obsidian isn't happy with people bashing Bethesda and Fallout 76

That's odd, that's the title, and yet I can't find anything in what Feargus is actually saying that matches that. If anything, he subtly disses Beth and FO76 himself, with that 'direction' quote.

Pegultagol

Erudite
The combat looks fine from what they managed to show during that short segment. I don't know if the killcam cinematic camera can be disabled, but the kill shot seems to occur before the camera switches, as if to simulate replay. But it seems to work alright when melee swings land the final blow. The body specific targeting system is a pleasant surprise and coupled with time dilation could be used to devastating effect, but is it only specific to humanoid types? And does the enemy know how to use cover and flank or even use the environment? I see a lot of moving toward the player in a straight line, waiting to be pegged one by one. I saw some enemies skip side to side and parry, so that's at least promising. Also I guess it's superficial but do the marauders have to wear helmets all the time? I know they have a bit of variety and it's better than having cloned faces for trash mobs, but I would've liked to see a bit more face there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's odd, that's the title, and yet I can't find anything in what Feargus is actually saying that matches that. If anything, he subtly disses Beth and FO76 himself, with that 'direction' quote.

The title is probably referring more to what Tim and Leonard say in the video.

Yosharian

Arcane

Did they actually say that, though? I can't anything that matches it in the written quotes. Can't watch the video right now cos I'm at work.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The combat looks fine from what they managed to show during that short segment. I don't know if the killcam cinematic camera can be disabled, but the kill shot seems to occur before the camera switches, as if to simulate replay. But it seems to work alright when melee swings land the final blow. The body specific targeting system is a pleasant surprise and coupled with time dilation could be used to devastating effect, but is it only specific to humanoid types? And does the enemy know how to use cover and flank or even use the environment? I see a lot of moving toward the player in a straight line, waiting to be pegged one by one. I saw some enemies skip side to side and parry, so that's at least promising. Also I guess it's superficial but do the marauders have to wear helmets all the time? I know they have a bit of variety and it's better than having cloned faces for trash mobs, but I would've liked to see a bit more face there.
reminds me of when kojima said EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN MGS4 HAS A DIFFERENT FACE and then they accomplished this by putting every enemy in a full helmet

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Did they actually say that, though? I can't anything that matches it in the written quotes. Can't watch the video right now cos I'm at work.
Don't worry, it's just shitty garme journalism, where the writers try to spin the interview in a way which follows their agenda. That's why they are toxic against gamers who rage against Bethesda. Poor Bethesda, they didn't deserve all this hate after Fallout 76.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's got bullet time you guys. Like they said, we've got lots of options to play with and deep layers of strategy to the combat. You can decide what part of the body to shoot and when. This could be game of the year.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Obsidian hasn't really gone BioWare/Dice/Ubisoft levels of woke yet so I'm not particularly worried, just felt like leaving that pic here because I'm bored.

Yosharian

Arcane
If they write good shit then I don't care how retarded they are on Twitter, the problem is when the line between activism and game development becomes blurred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom