Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst non-RPG game you ever played?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would go with Firewatch. It is barely a game. But I would love harm to fall upon the makers of it.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Honestly Firewatch has it's moments, it's definitely the best walking simulator out there, it's also the only one I didn't have to force myself to finish (looking at you Gone Home).

The worst one, by far, is Dear Esther, that pile of donkey manure is more of an insult than it is a game. They charge 10$ for you to hold W and listen to the dullest narration you'll ever have the displeasure of experiencing. I'd like to say it put me to sleep, but it didn't even manage that, it just left me pissed off.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I would go with Firewatch.
It's like starting a thread "WHO'S THE UGLIEST WOMAN IN HOLLYWOOD" and then saying "Cara Delevingne" for some perverted reason, maybe because she's a lesbian and you hate them or because she makes you realize how ugly your actual girlfriend is. You're not fooling anyone, Firewatch is undeniably one of the best games of that year, even if it causes some personal butthurt to you.

I didn't love the game myself, it was ok, I'm just pointing out how retarded you look right now.

But I would love harm to fall upon the makers of it.
An absolutely balanced statement, made by an adult an emotional age of 8.

Would you seriously wish harm on someone who made a game that you didn't like? How self-entitled are you, snowflake? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Get the fuck out of here, go to Retard Era, your place is there, not here.

Ash

Arcane
Either Limbo or Dark Souls

Username checks out.

Agreed on Limbo though. Vastly overrated, overpriced small puzzle game. It's not bad per se but it's a 1 hour puzzle game and comparable to something you'd find on newgrounds. Well made for what it was but shouldn't have achieved any particular status. It had game journos and gamers calling it some kind of masterpiece based on psuedo-intellectual and ignorant merits and its price tag was high.
It's not bad I just irrationally hate it on that basis.

McPlusle

Savant
Civilization V is the most personally insulting. As for the worst, it would probably be Driving Emotion Type-S.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Firewatch is undeniably one of the best games of that year, even if it causes some personal butthurt to you.

I didn't love the game myself, it was ok

Way to contradict yourself immediately.

I guess if you think 2016 was the worst year in gaming ever, a merely "ok" game might be one of the best games of the year. Not an "achievement" worth mentioning if that's the case, though.

Loostreaks

Learned
Dark Souls.

Not the worst in quality, but the dullest slog fest without a single moment of fun. Control a stunted puppet and fight enemies zombies that try jumps you around the corners and cannot even tell the difference between a player and a brick wall. Anyone who thinks trial&error is good design should be flogged and send back to kindergarten.

Curratum

Dark Souls is only shit because of its controls and responsiveness. It's a great game and a great world and great artwork, all horribly let down by the retarded controls.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Dark Souls.

Not the worst in quality, but the dullest slog fest without a single moment of fun. Control a stunted puppet and fight enemies zombies that try jumps you around the corners and cannot even tell the difference between a player and a brick wall. Anyone who thinks trial&error is good design should be flogged and send back to kindergarten.
I think it's a great way to learn game mechanics. It's more rewarding, sticks with you better and feels great when you overcome a challenge.
Most children learn riding bicycles through trail and error and don't give up just because they fall on their bums once or twice. If someone is not willing to spend 10 minutes to learn how to play a fucking video game, doesn't deserve to have fun at all.
Dark Souls isn't even punishing or super challenging, it's the middle of the road really, shines with it's atmosphere, exploration and it's simple but effective combat.

Bl@de

Educated
Resident Evil: Revelations

What a disgusting piece of shit. Can't decide if that or Resident Evil 6 was worse

Dux

Arcane
That one game from way back when...

Lure of the Temptress, yeah.

Truly a cyclopean load of shite.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst game I ever played that I can remember by name was Howard the Duck on Amstrad 64.
But since this thread is not actually about the worst non rpg game I ever played , but instead about which well-conceived game I didn't like as much as the majority of people do, I go with

Rainbow 6 Siege.

All my friends love it! I tried so hard to quench some fun out of it, but it sucks sooo hard. It follows the trend of action games to make you wait ages until something happens, then suddenly you're dead and have to wait another 10 min until you can hope for a bit of action.

SniperHF

Arcane
Republic: The Revolution

This game had such an amazing fucking concept. I even own a boxed copy.
But HOLY SHIT it's boring.

Loostreaks

Learned
I think it's a great way to learn game mechanics. It's more rewarding, sticks with you better and feels great when you overcome a challenge.
Most children learn riding bicycles through trail and error and don't give up just because they fall on their bums once or twice. If someone is not willing to spend 10 minutes to learn how to play a fucking video game, doesn't deserve to have fun at all.
Dark Souls isn't even punishing or super challenging, it's the middle of the road really, shines with it's atmosphere, exploration and it's simple but effective combat.

There is nothing complex about it, unless you want to waste your time on min/maxing stats&gear "builds". Gameplay is simplistic and shallow as hell: basic stamina management plus hit/hit/roll&block. And ranged combat is some of the shittiest ever created.
Games like DMC, Gaiden, Monster Hunter and virtually any good fighting game require 100+ hours for ( average ) player to master them.. reward is extremely satisfying and fluid combat, that looks and feels drastically different than when you started. Dark Souls is too slow, too clumsy, too shallow and too cheap to offer anything even remotely comparable. It's literally devoid of every single element that makes good action game fun: speed, choreography, ecstatic music, etc.
And enemy AI is incredibly rigid and predictable, giving it "on rails" feel...reason why it revolves around memorization of attack patterns.
Well designed difficulty challenges player skill, coming up with different tactics or creative methods...not player patience.

janior

Arcane
Patron

There is nothing complex about it, unless you want to waste your time on min/maxing stats&gear "builds". Gameplay is simplistic and shallow as hell: basic stamina management plus hit/hit/roll&block. And ranged combat is some of the shittiest ever created.
Games like DMC, Gaiden, Monster Hunter and virtually any good fighting game require 100+ hours for ( average ) player to master them.. reward is extremely satisfying and fluid combat, that looks and feels drastically different than when you started. Dark Souls is too slow, too clumsy, too shallow and too cheap to offer anything even remotely comparable. It's literally devoid of every single element that makes good action game fun: speed, choreography, ecstatic music, etc.
And enemy AI is incredibly rigid and predictable, giving it "on rails" feel...reason why it revolves around memorization of attack patterns.
Well designed difficulty challenges player skill, coming up with different tactics or creative methods...not player patience.
Complex is not always good.
DMC 4 is a decent example, it has one of the most in-depth complex combat system I've ever seen. Main campagin is so half-assed that it doesn't have enemies on which you can utilize even half of the combos or mechanic.
All DMC titles have brain dead enemies for the player to show off sick combos, it also relies on pattern/combo memorization :lol:.

Anyway DS challenges your skill as a player in a different way, not your agility, It's more keeping your cool, not smashing buttons in panic, observing your environments and being resourceful. There's variety of different tactics and ways to approach fights, it's not shallow by any means. Comparing DS to DMC or NG is silly, they are not even in the same genre.
I understand it being disappointment if you expected 360ing in the air chopping off dragons heads to banging rock music.

Superman 64. Returning it to gamestop was as orgasmic as shitting out a top tier turd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom