Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

sullynathan

Arcane
lock on to dog, shoot with shotgun. Easy as pie

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
DzP5HN_WsAASjQq.jpg

Time to play tofu survivor

Egosphere

Arcane
I will say this game has slightly better core gameplay than the original (not hard to accomplish), but damn near everything else is inferior: soundtrack, art style, story (writing, cutscenes, event scripting), atmosphere/tension/immersion, challenge, and maybe even audio design. Gameplay is generally king but it gets trumped here by the sheer amount of everything else the original game does better.

Edit: and there's still plenty the original did better regarding gameplay.
out of curiosity, what's your take on re7?

TheRedSnifit

Educated
I will say this game has slightly better core gameplay than the original (not hard to accomplish), but damn near everything else is inferior: soundtrack, art style, story (writing, cutscenes, event scripting), atmosphere/tension/immersion, challenge, and maybe even audio design. Gameplay is generally king but it gets trumped here by the sheer amount of everything else the original game does better.

This is like the exact opposite of how I felt. If you had asked me during my peak nostalgic, rose-tinted-goggles-days back in 2010 or so what the original RE2 was like, I would have described a game far more similar to the remake than the original RE2.

To each his own, but there are a couple specific points you made that leave me kind if scratching my head:

Yet more laughable and aggravatingly dumb cutscenes and writing. It's fucking infuriating how dumb all this nonsense is.

Compared to the original RE2? I legitimately don't think I've seen anybody ever suggest that the classic RE games had anything but dumb nonsense stories and silly writing until now.

The overall tone of the game is much more, and I hate saying this in a negative context, "gamey". I love gamey games, but classic Resident Evil generally maintained a stronger, more believable and immersive tone in every way (except maybe voice acting)

Again, kind of a strange point of contention. One of the biggest criticisms of classic RE was that they relied on incredibly "gamey" and un-immersive things like the inane puzzles, the magic teleporting item boxes, the inventory system, the cripple-in-a-wheelchair controls, the giant monsters who are foiled by doors, etc. The remake still has most of that but I can't really think of any ways that it's worse in this regard.

challenge

The original RE2 is widely regarded as the easiest game in the franchise. The remake isn't very hard but I did find myself at least rationing ammo and using med sprays from time to time. In my first run through of the original, by the two-hour mark I was carrying more ammo than a CoD protagonist and not even bothering to carry healing items.

sullynathan

Arcane
Compared to the original RE2? I legitimately don't think I've seen anybody ever suggest that the classic RE games had anything but dumb nonsense stories and silly writing until now.
Ash is dumb in this regard and so is anyone that believed RE's story wasn't schlock but somehow this one that is better acted and animated is worse because reasons?

A horse of course

The start of this vid illustrates what was probably happening with me with the lickers - I walked as slowly and carefully as possible around a grounded licker, but he seemed to "trigger" and the music changed intensity. That's just an "alerted" state and you can still keep going so long as you don't nudge him or make any other noise. I'm guessing he detects you if his tongue animation connects though.

Ash

Arcane

out of curiosity, what's your take on re7?

I played close to the end. I found it to be pretty mediocre and uninspired, but not terrible. Better than RE6 and better than the average modern game. Worth a play maybe but not worth a full price buy. 6.5/10 perhaps.

I also just completed REmake2 on hardcore with the original soundtrack enabled and on that basis I bump my rating up to a 7/10. Final opinion and it feels like a generous one, but I can't deny the gameplay is somewhat better overall and somewhat competent.

I'd just like to add that the final section of the game (Lab) is very disappointing. Linear as hell and boring. Also the freight container boss battle sucks ass. I actually found some of the other boss battles to be half-competent though, especially compared to the original game. And they shouldn't have removed the marshalling yard even if in the original it wasn't that great.
Also bummed by the fact that plenty of the music is removed even with the classic music enabled, including the game's best track:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The dogs were laughably easy compared to most RE titles. Easy to aim at, easy to stunlock, very low health, predictable animations. I suppose there was a concern the player might be out of ammo at that point or something. I mowed down everything in that section and was very confused when I got to the orphanage and Claire slammed the gate shut behind her as if being chased. It didn't seem like there was much momentum to that section. Perhaps Mr. X should've chased you for longer.

Yet another example of incredibly dumb cutscenes.

Yes, the original was not a masterpiece of storytelling...but it wasn't fucking retarded either. And even in the original's stupidity it had B-movie charm. This has AAA game industry scripters and modern game engine cinematic "charm", which is pure shit.

To be fair I found the heavily scripted and heavily cinematic part of the game where you play as Sherry to be pretty well done by comparison though. There wasn't tons of retarded nonsense there that I noticed. It's not all bad.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
In the depths of his soul, Ash realised that he actually liked the new resident evil game. Still, he know he must prioritize his personal crusade against modern gaming at all costs.

Ash

Arcane
Off the forum and back to your nth autistic S Rank run of a sub-par game, faggit.

If I find the rare modern game actually worthy I will label it as such, e.g Dark Souls.

Ash

Arcane
One last thing, I have already criticised the sound design of this game (e.g monster sounds are shit compared to original), but have you also noticed how almost all pistols use the exact same firing sound effect? And that the shotgun firing sound doesn't change when upgraded (e.g long barrel). Even the original had this.

Just triggers me is all.

First half of the vid is default shotgun, second half of the vid is upgraded shotgun. Sounds super sexy.

Edit: just noticed that the original sewers had sound reverberation while the new sewers don't even have that. Lazy remake.

I prefer a bunch of the weapons in the original (overall design)

Original shotgun > New
Original Grenade launcher > New
Original Spark Shot > New (by a very large margin)
Original S.A.A > New

Otherwise I prefer the new counterparts.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The pistols have a very similar sound, but it varies between some of them. Matilda, the M19 and the character's Samurai edges sounds the same. The Samurai edge with unlimited ammo has a noticeably more deep firing sound. Claire's revolver and the Quickdraw army sounds are identical, but they sound slightly different than the automatic pistols. The SLS 60 sounds deeper too when you improve the weapon. And the magnum sound is unique between the pistols.

There's sound echo in the sewers. Like where the mobile bridge is. Just try firing the magnum inside and outside the save room. There's echo in other parts of the game too.

A horse of course

From the playstation blog:

Think you’ve seen everything Raccoon City has to offer? Think again, as The Ghost Survivors comes to PS4 on February 15 as a free update for Resident Evil 2. This set of stories provides “what if” scenarios for characters you encounter throughout the main game, providing an alternate look at what things might have been like if they survived the horrors of Raccoon City.

There’s a good chance you’ve seen or played The 4th Survivor, a tough-as-nails additional mode that follows Umbrella Security Services (U.S.S.) agent Hunk as he escapes from the depths of the city in order to complete his mission, or The Tofu Survivor, a non-canon gameplay mode which follows a particularly determined block of bean curd doing its best to avoid certain death (and maybe being sautéed with some vegetables and spices). The Ghost Survivors has a similar premise – escape from Raccoon City by any means necessary – but this time, you’ll be playing as three characters that never survived that fateful night:

No Time to Mourn features Robert Kendo, owner of the famous (and aptly named) Gun Shop Kendo. Those who have played the game may already know how his sad tale ends, but in The Ghost Survivors, he’s given a second chance when an old friend with a helicopter radios in to pick him up. Packing up what weapons he can, Kendo sets out into the streets to seek a way out from the infected city. On his way, a new type of poisonous zombie stands between him and freedom.

Way before the events of Resident Evil 2 took place, the fate of the mayor’s daughter, Katherine, was already sealed. In Runaway, her story takes her down a very different path. Seeking to escape Raccoon City with a certain someone, Katherine Warren must navigate the streets while avoiding a strangely mutated type of zombie that can only be stopped with particularly powerful ammunition. Play carefully, and you might survive.

Out of the shadows comes a forgotten U.S.S. agent. Thought to have been wiped out with his squad, the appropriately named Ghost makes his debut in Forgotten Soldier. Deep within the laboratory underneath the city, another soldier (besides Hunk) attempts his escape. Having to deal with hordes of monsters is bad enough, but what do you do when they’re covered in armor? This especially challenging scenario will put even The 4th Survivor veterans to the test.

Finish each scenario on its regular difficulty, or give them a shot in the unique Training mode. Unlike other modes, Training will lower the difficulty a bit by giving you additional items and item slots to start out with, and makes a great way to learn enemy positions and routes before you tackle each scenario on their standard, more challenging difficulty. It’s also a great way to understand some of the mechanics of The Ghost Survivors. Unlike The 4th Survivor and The Tofu Survivor, you can pick up more than the items you start with, but instead of finding items in the environment, you’ll find pickups by defeating specific zombies with backpacks, or grabbing items out of vending machines. Choose carefully, though; once you take an item from a vending machine, you’re locked out of the other two items for that run! Plan ahead, and you just might make it through.

There’s plenty to do across these three “what if” scenarios. Alongside bragging rights for completing each scenario, you’ll also have access to fun new challenges and trophies specific to The Ghost Survivors. Completing challenges will unlock accessories to decorate your character, including a tiger mask, a cuddly raccoon that sits on your character’s head, and more! Go for the high score, the fastest time, or see how many challenges (and accessories) you can unlock.

Three imaginative scenarios await you in The Ghost Survivors, out February 15 as a free update for Resident Evil 2 on PlayStation 4. Don’t forget to swing by the PlayStation Store to grab free ’98 Costumes for Claire and Leon, also available on the 15th. These costumes are just as polygonal as you remember from the original Resident Evil 2 on PlayStation, and make for a great nostalgia trip. See you all in Raccoon City.

A horse of course

Who is "Goast" anyway? The only Umbrella security dude I recall apart from Hunk was the team in the co-op TPS. I know there was some sort of ninja cloaking guy but I don't recall his name, dunno if it's the same person or they just made up a new guy for no reason.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
Who is "Goast" anyway? The only Umbrella security dude I recall apart from Hunk was the team in the co-op TPS. I know there was some sort of ninja cloaking guy but I don't recall his name, dunno if it's the same person or they just made up a new guy for no reason.

It says it's his debut.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

A random Umbrella forces minion soldier killed by Birkin.

A horse of course

It says it's his debut.

Crapcom have used "debut" for returning characters in the past tho

A horse of course

Alright I was making pretty good progress in leon B but fuck the gator insta-death run sequence. Uninstalled :argh:

Glad I didn't pay for this :smug:

RapineDel

Augur
Alright I was making pretty good progress in leon B but fuck the gator insta-death run sequence. Uninstalled :argh:

The sequence is stupid because you have to press W on the keyboard despite the change of camera angle making S make more sense. It's also not really obvious because even though you're pressing the wrong button you're still running, when you press the right button you just run 'faster'.

A horse of course

The sequence is stupid because you have to press W on the keyboard despite the change of camera angle making S make more sense. It's also not really obvious because even though you're pressing the wrong button you're still running, when you press the right button you just run 'faster'.

Oh it's not even a big deal, could probably have passed it within 5m if I'd retried a few more times. I was just at the end of my patience having already played Claire's campaign and then doing 90% the same shit just for some minor variations. If it was my first run I would've toughed it out but it would've lowered my overall opinion of the game, Claire's G2 fight notwithstanding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom