Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 was bad, admit it.

How do you rate Gothic 3?

• Very good

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Good

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Okay

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Abysmal

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Arcania <3

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters

sullynathan

Arcane
Holy shit, anvi gave all his tags to fantadomat

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
And do not get me started on that expan... cash grab.
Gothic 3 was botched on so many levels, ret-conning of the story was probably the worst if you had played the previous two games.

But Forsaken Gods...heh

Starts with the hero brandishing a knife to Xardas' throat, his mentor...then jumping back through dimensions because he wants to go on sharia patrol...what in the fuck :lol:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
My opinion as a hardcore Gothic fan

Gothic 3 had a pretty world but the quest design is abysmal there 99% of the game's quests are kill x or collect y. The game has even a MMO like design where you travel to a settlement collect all quests there and then proceed to the surrounding wilderness to finish said boring quests.In that regard Gothic 3 preceded "modern" RPG design. The game's overall flaws can be blamed to PB desire to create a AAA RPG with only 30 developers.

Gothic 3 setting was pretty unique with a world in which the Orcs aren't just a faceless evil. The idea of deciding a country's fate was good but the execution wasn't good enough. The Orc/rebel conflict was the best part but the Orc/Assassins conflict felt under-cooked as well as the game's various side factions. The story is equally lackluster you spend almost a half of the game looking for Xardas and when you find him he tells you to collect a bunch of Mcguffins. The game is also full of inconsistencies for example there are random dragons hidden in caves while in Gothic 2 dragons where an even bigger threat than the orc invasion or the history of the water mages was changed for the second time after Gothic1& 2.

Pb's third game still had the dark atmosphere the rough language and even the likable nameless hero with his usually funny lines but so much of what made Gothic one and two master pieces was lost. The game lacked the immersion of the older games, the world was no longer a living place but merely seemed to exist for the players enjoyment. For example random NCPs no longer had unique class specific dialogue. Or the fact that you could no longer be attacked while using potions from the inventory. These may be small changes but the game is full of details that made Gothic 3 loose the series identity and with it it's unique charm.

Gothic 3 was a game that I loved when I was a teenager, i loved the lush forest, organic landscapes but as i grew older I started to see the cracks so I can understand why someone likes the game but as someone who played through G3 at least 4 times I can say the game's best parts are superficial things while everything else is either mediocre like the quest design or outright terrible like the G3's combat system.

Wow, reading your post was just like reading the back of the box.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Boring quests, buggy as all hell, trash combat, dogshit lore and story. Even as the biggest PB fanboy who loved Risen 2 and 3, I will say that Gothic 3 was shit and easily their worst game.
Required watch:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Not really, Risen 3 had an serviceable story with a few neat quests and some nice environment design, Gothic 3 had nothing. The music is quite literally the only positive I can think of for Gothic 3.

JDR13

Arcane
Risen 3 was objectively better in most aspects, but for some reason I found it somewhat boring compared to PB's other games. It was also too long for its own good.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Not really, Risen 3 had an serviceable story with a few neat quests and some nice environment design, Gothic 3 had nothing. The music is quite literally the only positive I can think of for Gothic 3.
Disagree, even though Risen 2 was HEAVY fall from Risen 1, it had its own pros. Risen 3 was an abomination. You can really see that they wanted to go back to their roots, exploration, factions, teleporting... but it was done in such a horrible way it's barely playable. It was really good in concept, but I think they were too ambitious. Especially Naval Fights with leviathans still scare me at night, how could anyone make something so shit.
Gothic 3 was extremally underdeveloped, but it still beats Risen 3.
You can see that they tried to learn from mistakes in Elex, so now there are right conditions to get actually game from Piranha again, be it Elex 2 or new IP. We can only hope.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Disagree, even though Risen 2 was HEAVY fall from Risen 1, it had its own pros. Risen 3 was an abomination. You can really see that they wanted to go back to their roots, exploration, factions, teleporting... but it was done in such a horrible way it's barely playable. It was really good in concept, but I think they were too ambitious. Especially Naval Fights with leviathans still scare me at night, how could anyone make something so shit.
Gothic 3 was extremally underdeveloped, but it still beats Risen 3.
You can see that they tried to learn from mistakes in Elex, so now there are right conditions to get actually game from Piranha again, be it Elex 2 or new IP. We can only hope.
DO you even like PB games?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Especially Naval Fights with leviathans still scare me at night, how could anyone make something so shit.
I actually did manage to forget that, so thanks for reminding me...

Other than that, though, I found no PB game ever worse than "okay", though I found only Gothic II really great.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
DO you even like PB games?
Gothic I, II and Risen. Risen 2 was disappointment, about Gothic III and Risen 3 you already know from this thread. I didn't play ELEX beceause my PC can't run it, but it looks a bit horrendous.
Gothic 1 is greatly overrated in my opinion,also it is old and it shows. Still a good game tho,but i prefer Gothic 2 and Risen. Gothic 3 has the best exploration in any action rpg i have seen. You see a mountain with an old tower,you can climb it and stumble upon a dragon and its hoard! You see old overgrown path,you follow it and end up in burned village and next to it is a cave full with undead. It have seamless world filled with all kind of things to find. It is best PB game in that aspect,sure it have problems and bugs but so does Arcanum and Vampire. The quests are the same in any PB game,loot shit,kill shit.....and i fucking like them. If you don't well maybe it is not the studio for you.

PS: Sorry for being and edgy asshole in the other post ;).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Gothic 1 together with Arx Fatalis are 2 games (in RPG genre) I can think of, very few if not almost alone who grasped the idea of creating a small self sufficient and serviceable game world without a single unnecessary thing or an in game encyclopedia required to explain how world works. So I don't think G1 is overrated at all and for that alone I place it higher in my personal list of importance than G2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gothic 1 together with Arx Fatalis are 2 games (in RPG genre) I can think of, very few if not almost alone who grasped the idea of creating a small self sufficient and serviceable game world without a single unnecessary thing or an in game encyclopedia required to explain how world works. So I don't think G1 is overrated at all and for that alone I place it higher in my personal list of importance than G2.
I agree with you,but those are different things. It hasn't aged well,still it is a great game. I would recommend it to every person on this site,still i won't be replaying it 20 times. It is a game that an rpg fan should at least try.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Learned
Boring quests, buggy as all hell, trash combat, dogshit lore and story. Even as the biggest PB fanboy who loved Risen 2 and 3, I will say that Gothic 3 was shit and easily their worst game.

Congratz, you've just described All of their games. Good to see their fanboys are making some progress here. :lol:

Their games have very little lore and history to speak of. And what is there is so painfully derivative and unimaginative compared to nearly everything. Elex looks like it was designed by a child, with zero logic and consistency in both world design and how it ( thematically) mixes wildly different settings.
And "serviceable game world" with nearly entire content being animals/trash mobs every 15 meters: that's rich.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Gothic 3 has the best exploration in any action rpg i have seen. You see a mountain with an old tower,you can climb it and stumble upon a dragon and its hoard! You see old overgrown path,you follow it and end up in burned village and next to it is a cave full with undead. It have seamless world filled with all kind of things to find. It is best PB game in that aspect,sure it have problems and bugs but so does Arcanum and Vampire.

I can't tell if you're actually being serious here.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's sarcasm.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Gothic 3 has the best exploration in any action rpg i have seen. You see a mountain with an old tower,you can climb it and stumble upon a dragon and its hoard! You see old overgrown path,you follow it and end up in burned village and next to it is a cave full with undead. It have seamless world filled with all kind of things to find. It is best PB game in that aspect,sure it have problems and bugs but so does Arcanum and Vampire.

I can't tell if you're actually being serious here.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's sarcasm.

As I am playing Gothic 3 now, I can admit its world really encourages you to explore and was really well designed in that reagrd. Too bad exploration is never rewarded with anything, things just "seem" cool.
It doesn't matter where you go, you always find nothing. But good impresions probably end after Myrtana, as desert is fucking empty and Nordmar from my memory was least enjoyable location ever.
But that I shall judge soon.

JRIz

Augur
But good impresions probably end after Myrtana, as desert is fucking empty and Nordmar from my memory was least enjoyable location ever.
But that I shall judge soon.
I think there is no other game that nails the atmosphere and lighting you encounter when walking at night in a snowy area as precisely as G3.

Has anyone ever talked about the Community Story Project here? It is a G3 mod that aims to repair some of the more basic flaws of the game.

https://g3csp.de/en/

What scope does your project offer?
It is not possible to make an exact account of the scope. Yet, something we don’t do is adding a side quest here or a dialogue there. Instead, we overhaul the story in Gothic 3 in almost every aspect. To give a rough, numeric perspective on the scope, have some numbers about our data (from August 2014):

• 1700 Threads (internal board)
  • 24 000 comments (internal board)
  • 2,7 GB Files
  • 2700 new objects
  • 250 new NPCs
What exactly will the Community Story Project change?
The alterations to Gothic 3 will be so numerous and extensive, that it is impossible to list them all, besides we don’t want to spoil them for you. The main focus lies on five main aspects we are working on, which are going to form a harmonic entity in the end: the main story line, the guilds, the city concept, the texture modification and the weapon overhaul. Furthermore there will be several other smaller things and side projects we will work on, so let yourselves be surprised!

What will the main story of the Community Story Project look like?
Our main goal is not to create an alternative sequel to Gothic 2, but to improve the original game by Piranha Bytes. We want to make the content and atmosphere much more like Gothic and Gothic 2. The main parts of the story like the orcs victory, the destruction of the runes magic and the search for the Fire Goblets and the Adanos Artefacts will still be important parts of the game. But we want to improve it by giving it a clear structure. As a part of it we will reintroduce chapters like in former entries to the series. We’ll also try to close gaps in logic and unfinished plots like the Pirates, implementing interesting and thrilling turns in the story. So that you’ll have more influence on the world of the game than in any Gothic game before.

Why is there only few information about the story?
It’s pretty difficult to give an insight in the story without telling too much. The closer we get to release the more you’ll hear from us about size and story. Altough we want you to enjoy the game as we intended it so we will not reveal too much of the story.

Which guilds will be part of the Community Story Project and which are joinable?
As Gothic fans are used you will have to join one of the three main guilds during the main story. These are Rebels, Orcs and Hashishins. Rangers, Nomades and Northmarians will be extended as well. You won’t be able to join them yourself, but they will offer optional side quests. You can also forge alliances with them or fight them for your main guild. Further you’ll have the option to join Pirates, Bandits and another not yet revealed side guild.

What’s the cities concept?
Many cities in Gothic 3 lack life and an own character, which differentiates them to other cities. Additionally there’s no civil population in the world of Gothic 3 and especially female characters are missing and with them credibility. Because of that our story writers created an own concept for every settlement, to give them a own history, civil population and a credible ratio of genders. Therefore numerous new NPCs will be implemented and offer ambient dialogues as well as side quests. Sometimes they’ll even be part of main or guild quests. We’ll also create connections between the settlements what’s not the case in the original Gothic 3. The main aim of the cities concept is to make the world more vivid and credible and not only a scenery. We hope that this helps the players to build up a real emotional attachement. Also you no longer have to work your way through the cities like a chain without returning after you’ve completed you last quest in one city.

Will there be adjustments to the world and landscapes?
The world of Gothic 3 is really huge and offers enough space for new content. So there won’t be new regions. We further don’t have the technical possibilities for such huge changes. Nonetheless there will be minor adjustments to some of the locations.

How exactly do you revise weapon textures?
For close combat weapons the models will be revised as well as the textures, so they fit the style of Gothic a lot better. Some weapons are to colorful and bright so that we change them as well. As for bows and crossbows we are only able to alter the textures, since it is technically not possible for us to make alterations to their animated models.

Will you extend or revise guild X, weapon Y or NPC Z?
We endeavor to improve and extend as much as possible. But as we a have a focus on content we can’t change everything. It doesn’t make sense to answer single questions about specific features as that can still change during the course of the project.

Will you meet old acquaintances and monsters?
A few old acquaintances like Bennet, Girion or Wolf will find their way into the CSP. Basically we don’t want to add NPCs of former games just that they are there, with an outrageous explanation how they reached the mainland. We just add them to the game when it makes sense. But don’t be afraid, there’ll be plenty of new charactes you’ll hopefully love like the old ones.

It has been in development for at least 10 years now and as far as I know they have shown ridiculously little in all that time so I kind of doubt it will ever come out. They sure make some tall promises, though. I also think it's in German only for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom