Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Martyr

Arcane
yeah, I've been waiting for DU to be finished too. but right now I have to use my girlfriends laptop because my computer needs repairing and I thought this would be a nice chance to finally check out DU.
being able to see the landscape is such a small change but it puts an entirely new perspective to this game and really shows you how vast the gameworld is.

Did they really increase the view distance that much? To me, it doesn't look much different from the original game from a visual standpoint.
yup, compare this
0b6ad5d0348381dec85dadc05f07cffb988b3b01.jpg

to this
EL6Ks8i.png

or this
qCqqxkj.png

see that tree in the first picture? it's maybe 20m away from my character and it's already fading into some non-existant fog. in the second pic you can even see the trees on the other side of the lake.

and when I was walking up a hill there was this small village
ThmIT2H.png

I could actually spot that village at the bottom of the hill. not like in the original game, when you walk in the wilderness, suddenly the game freezes for 5 seconds and a town pops up right in front of you.

and the view distance in towns is also better.
two more pics of vanilla Daggerfall, with houses fading into fog:
774272c69d164785045ee854f4654c2769821d44.jpg

8ea4d2d5ec98b123af343d5ea799a01b124d5781.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
but I don't think all those blue areas are supposed to be water, because there are so many of them and I can just walk straight across most of them without having to swim.

A5oGzFQ.png
Stuff like that is why I'll wait until it's completely finished before trying it.
Non-swimmable puddles were present in original Daggerfall. :M At least, I always assumed they were meant to be puddles.

Martyr

Arcane
but I don't think all those blue areas are supposed to be water, because there are so many of them and I can just walk straight across most of them without having to swim.

A5oGzFQ.png
Stuff like that is why I'll wait until it's completely finished before trying it.
Non-swimmable puddles were present in original Daggerfall. :M At least, I always assumed they were meant to be puddles.

but iirc the non-swimmable water in vanilla Daggerfall was restricted to small streams? I may be wrong, but I think you always had to swim in water areas of this size?!

That looks pretty amazing, actually.

Otoh... why the hell would you ever walk on foot through the wilderness in Daggerfall? :neveraskedforthis:

walking in video games is better than walking in real life.
in Daggerfall you have no shortage of breath, no allergies, no sunburn, you can't trip and fall, no wasps hunting you for miles. and the landscape is more varied, plus you can stumble upon ruins, graveyards, dungeons, wereboars, orcs and harpys. :obviously:

Martyr

Arcane
it was not unusual to spot water areas in vanilla Daggerfall that looked like this:
3revVyY.png

but I really don't think that areas like this are supposed to be water, right in front of the city gate with trees growing inside of it:
81Pj8DF.png

city of Daggerfall:
the castle of Daggerfall; POV from atop a roof
aBIZdFv.png

castle Daggerfall
5zRB6QS.png

Daggerfall as seen from afar
wIKjXYN.png

beautiful rainy day in the city of Wayrest:
Wayrest seen from afar
qyyNof2.png

the landscape surrounding Wayrest; POV from atop the city wall
PIrSa5N.png

normal houses
dJHOfw7.png

castle Wayrest
mWOqem5.png

J0TSV4h.png

the royal garden
uNfXw43.png

A horse of course

Resident Evil 2 2019: Fitgirl Digital Deluxe Edition

I played through Claire A and about half of Leon B (quit and uninstalled at the shitty Alligator QTE sequence, which is only a brief hiccup but tested my patience after doing the same shit as the first run for several hours), which is basically the whole game (you miss Ada or Sherry's sequences if you only do one of the campaigns, plus some of the bosses being different). Assuming you play Claire's route and don't ragequit on Leon's like I did, you'll have a pretty good experience overall. Whilst the game is lacking much of the atmosphere and charm of the original, the first 30 or 40 percent of the campaign is far more faithful to the broad mechanics of the classics than anything released from Resident Evil 4 onwards. In terms of visuals, the game straddles that not-quite-AAA line where some of the character and creature models look absolutely fantastic whilst others have a doughy, 360-era look, some objects are very poorly textured, or rely on gloss maps to cover up low resolutions, the zombie models are too obviously copy pasted (the female cop in particular) and so forth. In general it's pretty good, but it does make you question the 60+ dollar pricetag. I should note I was running with FXAA+TAA which is motion-driven, so the aliasing looks worse in my screenshots than it does in-game.

There are three basic difficulty levels - Normal, which in my opinion seemed more difficult than the original game, in which ammo is relatively limited and it doesn't take much to hit critical, Hardcore - more dangerous, consumes more ammo, somewhat limited saves that encourages metagaming/reloading for optimal runs between saves, and Assisted, which allows you to down enemies and bosses with ease and I'd only recommend for people who prefer clearing out entire rooms and exploring at a more leisurely pace (the Nemesis-esque Mr. X mechanic will complicate this eventually, however). Your choice of character will also make a difference - aside from some different bosses, Leon's shotgun is generally far less effective than Claire's grenade launcher in the early and mid game. The major difference from the classics is of course that there is a greater emphasis on skill-based action gameplay (targeting the right body part to stun foes, reacting to RNG and scripted "fuck you" moments, some traditional QTE fiddling) and basic stealth mechanics, and you are of course losing the fantastic tension-building choreography and scene composition of fixed camera angles and the original's far superior OST, but there is also a return to logical item and ammo management (somewhat undermined by the awful dynamic difficulty system which gimps your damage, among other things), careful planning of your route through the police station, environmental awareness (where is the closest exit?) and the ability to evaluate risk/reward (is it worth popping back into this dangerous room to grab that herb?).

Unfortunately nothing after the police station is anywhere near as carefully crafted, and is, at best, more akin to the Revelations series, but at least the station (which they obviously felt was the game's strongest point in their marketing) is a much better sign of the direction Capcom could take the series than anything else they've made in the past decade. If you're looking for something to terrify you, I can't say RE2 will do the trick - it can make you panic, and certainly promotes caution at times, but even the most fearsome enemies will probably just start to annoy rather than scare you. Still, if you want a blend of tension, action, and a faint, faded taste of the classics after a decade of waiting, it's worth 10-20 dollars in a sale and gives me cautious hope for a remake of Jill's game.

Sj5iHzR.jpg
Ln33y38.jpg
J7Ol7hH.jpg
q8cbfPZ.jpg
9Oki62g.jpg
1WtjSo5.jpg
XwPqdKi.jpg
GmAwEYd.jpg
qFHlMSZ.jpg
e7QHg6w.jpg
j0p2GtT.jpg
brRaEzi.jpg
9XiNjNO.jpg
vhkXlIx.jpg
73aTz1d.jpg
3VXkX2H.jpg
ICAVX4m.jpg
eitVXQa.jpg
usfSpTV.jpg
zqnIzm1.jpg
1zuNzwp.jpg
otuL2Oi.jpg
YOyogGz.jpg
DZl7lCt.jpg
BSCaPEK.jpg
Lm6dYi2.jpg
WLxBpuM.jpg
rg3krAV.jpg
i4cylVK.jpg
lreDojk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Endemic

Arcane
The intrigue is ramping up in chapter 8 of Berwick Saga...

General Zephyrus, wyvern rider and vanguard of the Raze Empire's invasion of the Berwick League, has a revelation for us:

0Bk7F0v.png

02Eg5xE.png

6ehg34z.png

GB0vLHE.png

CpV1Rdq.png

I'm getting some Legend of Galactic Heroes vibes here.

Meanwhile, in the occupied territory of Veria...

2EFqEQf.png

:lol: Nice choice of name there.

sTJ7qRh.png

1p3pe0Z.png

v9FA6n4.png

z28dWjA.png

XjsGUxI.png

EhJ2Haq.png

kmjfHaM.png

Yep, this is definitely resembling a Legend of Galactic Heroes subplot.

flyRJpk.png

s9Y1wEb.png

UGZvxp9.png

OzqrpPp.png

NYzFjr2.png

Bx1e9O0.png

H9zR44h.png

H4m7ymO.png

Hmm...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
civ1.png

my God

what fiend could have possibly hired a privateer and sent it to starve the poor folks of bjorgvin

i bet it was that holy roman cunt on the other side of the world, and not the peace-loving honourable citizens of zululand

only a german could be capable of such barbarism

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kenshi.jpg

Okay, so I'm nameless Skeleton-robot guy, picked up Hobbs over here who has some weird idea about going into a forest where something/someone is flaying of the skin of other dudes. He's also good at martial arts. We're hanging out with some "Ninja traders", and they have been protecting us from random dudes that want to eat us.

What a cool game, especially if you know nothing about it. Game is Kenshi btw.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Third Age: Total War with the Divide and Conquer submod (for Total War: Medieval II)

WQ8WYk1.jpg

With the borders threaten by orcs from the north it was time for Bree land to muster up a militia worth the name of army. 2000 free man with a couple of mercenaries and Dunedain rangers stand ready to face down the evil faction Remnants of Angmar.

dFIKfQv.jpg

Wolf riders and merchant ritters clash on the right side.

pCp3s7O.jpg

Right flank is having even more trouble when heavily armored infantry breaks through the line and attacks the Dunedain rangers. The Elven commander had to join the fray at this time to stabilize, since everything else melts away facing these evil creatures!

pF5uTho.jpg

Wolf riders keep harassing units all over the front and back line, unfortunately for them my spear-milita are ready!

jDrvYRS.jpg

Spear-miltia tangled up with goblin spearman in a fight to the death.

k13js9M.jpg

After fierce and brutally deadly combat it was clear who the winner was of the this deciding battle. Bree land is saved for now, but at what cost?

Q8oeE5N.jpg

That heavy infantry unit that pushed through? That was actually the commander of the battle. With all this men dead he didn't stand much of a chance though. He was cut down to pieces by my lumbermen and heavily armored mercenary, which had been freed up at that point.

sxGCujR.jpg

A victory for the free folk, but there will be many wives and children crying to sleep tonight.

FQJrScW.jpg

It turned out that the brutal commander we faced down on the battle was actually the leader of Angmar. Will this be the end of the orc menace from the north? I highly doubt it, but being leaderless surely must put a damper on them

Highly recommended mod! It's good on its own, but the submod makes the game legendary, if you like Lotr that is.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I miss combat car games. :negative:

Me too, me too. Image a proper new carma on modern hardware. The last one had its heart in the right place but it wasn't all that it could have been.

The Carmageddon brand is now owned by THQ who also have Bugbear (Wreckfest) under their wings. Who knows what the future may bring. A man can dream right?

GRIP turned out well by the way. It's not really in the same genre as Carmageddon buy you might like it. Wreckfest is p good now too.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Writing and quest quality put any newshit RPG to shame:

wajaNcE.jpg

sUjITR2.jpg

:salute:

cHNZxDT.jpg

A little bit later:

14E5srW.jpg

:yeah:

Some tips that NPCs share with Shantae are quite clear:

JllzA9f.jpg

Some others... Not really:

nqgesYm.jpg

c2L5z0I.jpg

:hmmm:

Making Grandma Blobfish great again:

zbuVHPy.jpg

EtiajSx.jpg

Ppk7dRz.jpg

:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom