Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Metro Exodus is released and you didn't buy a 2080Ti for it!? You are not true fan. You are just a piece of shit.

Go fuck yourself your phony hack.
What was that? Sorry, I couldn't hear your feeble asthmatic mouse squeak over the pleasant hum of my $99.99 Noctua NH-D15 cooling unit. :lol:

But seriously, I like to be future proof when upgrading. Also, I've had a 27" 4K display for a year now, and my GTX 780 is too old to allow me to play even Witcher 3 at 4K, let alone KCD, which I want to replay when the final DLC is released. There will always be 1-2 3D heavy games I'd want to play each year.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess it's pretty impressive the launch day peak player count (11,942) on Steam, only with pre-ordered players, is closer to Far Cry: New Dawn's (12,437). (Yeah, the FC game is recycled spin-off and Uplay is much bigger than Epic, but still.)
I think it will turn out in the end that they really shot themselves in the foot with this exclusivity shit. One year from now, when they release on Steam, the hype will have passed, a lot of people will have given the pirated game a run and will have moved on. Also it's going to be quite rich to release the game on Steam at full price one year after the original release, so players will go "what the hell, I waited a year for steam, I'll wait another half a year for a discount". I don't believe all of this can ever be offset by the exclusivity bonus they received from Epic.

Jezal_k23

I don't think the 20xx series is worth it in any way. I'll be upgrading probably in another or two generations from my 980 Ti.

Sodafish

Arcane
I'm still running a GTX 970. How would this fare? It ran the other Metro games fairly well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Been watching a stream of the first 2 hours. Looks like shit, honestly. The graphics look good sure, but the voice acting, writing, AI, that's all shit. Gameplay looks meh too.
edit: I also heard a CS 1.6 sound effect, lmao. The throwing knife landing on a person is a knife light slash sound effect from 1.6.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Play with russian VO. Also I don't think you can truly judge gameplay until you get to the main hubs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-russian-option/

Metro Exodus is much, much better in Russian
If you can't stomach the English performances, we feel you.

Metro Exodus is one of the prettiest PC games I've ever seen, but its world is framed by a troupe of characters straining against the last known goodwill in universe to make sure you know exactly how they feel, exactly what the current state of affairs is, and exactly how Russian they are. I hate taking out my I'm-thinking-about-writing-a-novel-someday hat, but it's all telling and no showing, and the emphatic English voice acting doesn't help.

As you can see in the video below, there's zero subtly, and in combination with voice acting that's always a little too loud and warm, Metro Exodus gives me tonal whiplash. Look at this total devastation. Life, somehow, carrying on within it. Now to get berated by the Colonel at full volume while he explains a plot twist for three minutes.

The English VO is like a bad anime dub. It's like a football coach giving you a pep talk and slapping your ass before sending you in to explore a desolate, tragic wasteland. Some find it charming. I find it—I don't find it. I reject finding it. It's gone. I'm sorry, what English VO?

If bad voice acting destroys a perfectly fine game for you like it does for me, you're going to want to know how to enable the Russian language option in Metro Exodus. Russian is an alien language to me, and so is Metro's post-apocalyptic world. It's set in Russia, too, so it's just a better fit. Just pick up the keywords, listen to the local language to reinforce the fact that, yes, you are in Russia, and carry on. It's much better.

How to change the spoken language in Metro Exodus
You won't find a Russian language option if you're already wandering the wastes, which might make you think it doesn't exist at all. No worries, it's there, but you need to select it from the start menu. The pause menu can't help you here. Check it:

There are voice language options for Russian, Japanese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. I've yet to try the others to see if the performances are subdued enough for my tastes, but Russian good enough for me. I'm a sucker for authenticity even if the Russian performances aren't top-tier either. But from my very distant mountaintop, I like 'em more, at least.

Salvation is hidden away. You need to seek it in order to find it. Which may have brought you to this very page. In that case, welcome. Grab some reading glasses and turn that subtitle size down. You can fit more words on the screen that way. Like I said, subtlety isn't a thing in Metro: you're going to do a lot of reading. Stick with it, though. Exodus takes a bit to get moving, but each big pocket of Russian apocalypse is worth a tour. I just wish the tour guides weren't so abrasive.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching 20 minutes of the beginning now and well, when they are outside it looks really cool, but the atmosphere is ruined by the constant fucking talking. She never ever shuts up, Jesus Christ.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Been watching 20 minutes of the beginning now and well, when they are outside it looks really cool, but the atmosphere is ruined by the constant fucking talking. She never ever shuts up, Jesus Christ.

Accurate simulation of a wife, can’t knock them for that.
#Notallwives but I guess opposites attract in this case.

Turjan

Arcane
Apologizes for 10 minutes for having to say that he had more fun with Far Cry New Dawn than this. He felt the game is simply boring. The only thing he liked is the characters.

:D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Apologizes for 10 minutes for having to say that he had more fun with Far Cry New Dawn than this. He felt the game is simply boring. The only thing he liked is the characters.

:D

The more impressive part for me is that the fat fag is still alive. Can't wait for a video where they lift him with a crane because he had a heart attack.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Sterling would be the type of person to find the worst part of the game to be its only redeeming factor.

So far, I'm not a fan of Exodus at all, but it's certainly better than fucking Far Cry.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Game is getting trolled by a bunch of butthurt Steamfags.

Rightly so, since they sold pre-orders on Steam for months before going Epic-exclusive and tacking an extra year onto the Steam release date, and have continued to use Steam for publicity and exposure despite taking Epic's cash payout.

You want to go Epic-exclusive, then get the fuck off of Steam and refund any orders placed prior to exclusivity.

JDR13

Arcane
Game is getting trolled by a bunch of butthurt Steamfags.

Rightly so, since they sold pre-orders on Steam for months before going Epic-exclusive and tacking an extra year onto the Steam release date, and have continued to use Steam for publicity and exposure despite taking Epic's cash payout.

You want to go Epic-exclusive, then get the fuck off of Steam and refund any orders placed prior to exclusivity.

They refunded orders to anyone who wanted a refund.

Only a true moron review bombs a game because of what platform it's on. If you don't like what they did don't buy it, but don't give a negative review to a game you've never played.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
So is it good? I enjoyed the first 2 games despite their flaws.

The first two hours are absolutely horrible. It does get a bit better when the game opens up, but I honestly don't feel much desire to continue. I only played 2033 and while I wasn't a huge fan, I thought it was an alright 7/10 game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They refunded orders to anyone who wanted a refund.

THEY didn't refund jack shit. Steam issued the refunds, and 4A Games/Deep Silver had no choice in the matter because that's Steam policy. Apologies are free, but Steam had to issue that too, because THEY sure as fuck didn't.

You failed to address using Steam for publicity and exposure despite accepting a cash bribe for exclusivity elsewhere.

Only a true moron review bombs a game because of what platform it's on. If you don't like what they did don't buy it, but don't give a negative review to a game you've never played.

I won't get into semantics here, so suffice it to say that I've detested "platform exclusives" ever since they've existed, because they're obnoxious and coercive. It was one thing when different systems ran fundamentally different types of games on a graphical, sound, and technical level (say, SNES vs. Neo Geo), but today there are platform exclusives of a game that can run near-identically on multiple platforms.

This type of shit goes a step yet further. PC platform exclusivity is the ultimate cancer, since not only can you run the exact same game on each "platform" (i.e., DRM client), you can run it with identical fucking hardware and technical specs, too. Steam and Epic are DRM clients first and foremost.

Steam came first and it's universally adopted. It may not be for everyone, it may have its issues, but if someone insists on client-based DRM then they should certainly release their game on Steam. It's one thing to release on both Steam and Epic (or UPlay, or wherever), but to release on Epic only is a direct attempt to coerce Steam users to download yet another DRM client, which will require the creation and management of yet another account and password, yet another vector through which financial and personal information can be compromised, yet another injector of potential bloatware and spyware, yet another pain in the ass.

So no, fuck you, you cancerous and clueless utter garbage. Pre-ordering and pre-order incentives are cancer, day-one and/or on-disc DLC is cancer, "season passes" are cancer, DRM is cancer, and platform exclusives are cancer, ESPECIALLY when the "platforms" in question are all PC DRM clients. I'm only too glad to see bribe-accepting DRM-loving faggots get review-bombed.

Don't want to release on Steam? Then go DRM-free, cunts. Simple as that.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Play with russian VO. Also I don't think you can truly judge gameplay until you get to the main hubs.
Isn't there a lot of NPC conversations that don't get subtitles though?

I think you can enable subs for that too, but the big problem is that subs only show up if you're diectly next to the person that's about to start talking. Meaning you miss the first few lines of every conversation you walk into.

Now that I think about it, it's actually a win/win. You miss out on the garbo plot AND you don't have to listen to the horrible english VAs.

JDR13

Arcane
747e6e94-fc5a-4618-8800-b895e990caf2-m.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom