Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Arcane
I keep getting updates on Steam and no idea what they do.

Steam occasionally thinks it needs an update on games that don't actually need one. I don't remember exactly what the reason for it was. I've gotten it on games I know for a fact have no update.

Deleted Member 22431

Alright comrades where the hell can I find better weapons? I'm bit tired of SKS and double barrel shotgun.
You can buy great equipment from two vendors at Krasno (one sells armours and helmets, and the other guns and ammo), but the stuff appears in an random manner. You need to wait at least three (?) days to see a change in inventory. Caravan traders (especially the better equipped ones with trucks) can also happen to sell good equipment. You can also kill some NPCs to take special equipment, e.g., if you manage to kill the mercenaries that go after you when you kill caravan traders.

Mikeal

Arcane
You can buy great equipment from two vendors at Krasno (one sells armours and helmets, and the other guns and ammo), but the stuff appears in an random manner. You need to wait at least three (?) days to see a change in inventory. Caravan traders (especially the better equipped ones with trucks) can also happen to sell good equipment. You can also kill some NPCs to take special equipment, e.g., if you manage to kill the mercenaries that go after you when you kill caravan traders.

I know about those two, but their prices are bit :keepmyjewgold:for my taste.

Mark Richard

Arcane

I know about those two, but their prices are bit :keepmyjewgold:for my taste.
Guess that's what Barter is for. Some NPCs comment on the outrageous prices in Krasnoznamenny and cite it as a reason to support its independent rival, Peregon. The important thing to remember is not to sell any weapons in that Krasno gun store because the owner will try to pay you 1 ruble for everything from a pistol to a nuclear missile.

There's a great deal of money in the Otradnoye/Factory questline, and Krasnoznamenny has a lot of well-paying quests too. I've managed to rack up 15 thousand rubles so far. Most of my high end equipment came from a deadly mission involving a group of allied NPCs. It's not like they need it anymore.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Vintorez is still objectively the 'most useful' automatic rifle. Those playing a 'nice guy' probably will miss it. It seems like a one-of-a-kind rifle that only drops from NPC.
Not sure what the devs are thinking making that rifle have 4AP cost for Aimed or 3 round burst while pistol & SMG take at least 5-7 AP to do the same.
I could fire 6 rounds and still have 2 AP to reload or use super stim on the off hand.
If you take the +2 AP drugs you will be able to burst 3x or alternative fire a LMG burst (8AP) and finish off with Vintorez burst (4AP)
The rounds are expensive to be sure, but the low AP cost makes it very desirable.

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
Vintorez is still objectively the 'most useful' automatic rifle. Those playing a 'nice guy' probably will miss it. It seems like a one-of-a-kind rifle that only drops from NPC.
Not sure what the devs are thinking making that rifle have 4AP cost for Aimed or 3 round burst while pistol & SMG take at least 5-7 AP to do the same.
I could fire 6 rounds and still have 2 AP to reload or use super stim on the off hand.
If you take the +2 AP drugs you will be able to burst 3x or alternative fire a LMG burst (8AP) and finish off with Vintorez burst (4AP)
The rounds are expensive to be sure, but the low AP cost makes it very desirable.

You can buy Vintorez from weapon :keepmyjewgold: in Krasnozmenny. For him it's pretty cheap only 8k rubli.

RK47

Patron
It's too damn random to rely on the gun seller in Krasno. There were very few instances where I could rely on him to actually sell a specific gun I wanted.

SniperHF

Arcane
Is there any way to control how followers use healing during combat from their inventory?

Mikeal

Arcane
Is there any way to control how followers use healing during combat from their inventory?

Praying to RNG Jesus.

5Sfr8P9.png

TWF you couldn't find good weapon for most of the game, but now you're swimming in shitload of good weapons.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I'm currently in the second floor of Bunker 317, and I really want to get inside that room with the broken door that asks for a strength check. Is there another way to get in there or should I just forget about it?

RK47

Patron
So I'm currently in the second floor of Bunker 317, and I really want to get inside that room with the broken door that asks for a strength check. Is there another way to get in there or should I just forget about it?

Drink Vodka 2x
If it's still not enough, drink Cognac.
You need STR 7

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth

Drink Vodka 2x
If it's still not enough, drink Cognac.
You need STR 7

Gosh, I feel so dumb for not thinking of that. Thanks!

Mikeal

Arcane

There are 2 Strength improving drugs in the bunker. You can use them to open those damm door and to
scare off bandits at the entrance

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Congrats Atomboy !
If I bought it on Steam, I can get it on GOG (free) right?
This comment summoned me! I don't think so. I know there is such a feature in GOG, but we don't use it, so at least in the meanwhile, GOG and Steam versions are separate. It's a commercial decision so I won't be the one making it, since I'm dumb with money. If it will be decided to do this thing, I'll let everyone know.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
First order of business is having a non-retarded to-hit formula. This shit that always results in 99% no mater how low your skill is completely retarded garbage. Second thing: make the consequences of not meeting weapon requirements explicit somewhere. Third: give us a solid reason to bother with aimed instead of double-regular.

Suggestion of improvement: being able to attach a bayonet to a rifle would be cool. Rifle/AR + melee in a single weapon slot. That way your melee weapons investment remains relevant going into the midgame without worrying about the fact that you have only two slots. Scopes atop pistols and AR's could add some extra fun, specially if the Sniper-related perks become applicable. More builds = more fun.

Oh, and the perk tree needs some serious reworking. Suggestion: make some perks cheaper than others and do away with the current "cost scaling" system. Seriously, they are not equal, let's not bother pretending otherwise.
We're taking our sweet time with the next update. Hopefully the changes will suit everyone who hates the current state of things. Couldn't get my hands on the 1.08 in its current state to run with the new balancing formulas, but I'm getting promises of something awesome!

On aimed shots though, are you totally updated? Because aimed shots are a thing since the previous update! You can make people lose their weapons, go blind and get higher damage and stuff. Works for me like a charm!

Must've put at least 25 hours into ATOM by now and have only just reached the major trade hub of Krasnoznamenny. There's a lot to do here, including quests so minor that they're not even logged (as Lenin is my witness, I'm going to find the owner of this discarded bra). As usual the smooth-talking Doc Holiday template has served me well, with personality and speechcraft opening up several quest opportunities that would otherwise remain closed. Though to be fair, strength also tends to solve a lot of issues in dialogue.

So glad when I started going through the top RPGs of 2018, this was on the top of the pile. Thus far ATOM has been so very good to me.
Thanks! Glad you like it! :)

So far the game itself is quite good. It's obviously very fallouty. Much more so than the last game of this type I played in Underrail. I like this much more and I enjoyed Underrail . It's got the right mix of skill tree usage and non-combat options to go along with the combat. It's a little tougher than Fallout and has in some aspects a bit of that Age of Decadence kick you in the balls to it. But not so much as to restrict your gameplay options as narrowly which is AoDs nearly fatal flaw.
The references (the ones I get anyway) don't bother me. Also the little nutcracker room with the subtle playing of the nutcracker song underneath the normal music was hilarious.

I'm still not terribly far into the game, but in the meantime here is a random list of bitches about minor shit:

Really need an option for camera scroll speed.
I would prefer to bind the camera rotate key to middle mouse rather than right mouse. Middle mouse is much more standard among RPGs for this and I'm constantly pressing the wrong one. At least make it rebindable.
The 10 key number pad should work for dialogs.
Previously searched containers could stand to show up differently on the ALT highlight.
You should be able to unbind quick load completely. Accidentally hitting quick load is bad. For now I bound it something I'm unlikely to mash on accident.
Clicking and holding down on objects/characters for the context menu is not obvious. And when it does come up it should toggleable instead of hold down.
The pipe rifle's ammo is not clearly defined, it just says "round". Google has told me this is actually the crafted round, it should just say crafted round.
The world map travel speed is cancer.

And a more esoteric problem: AMDs frame rate target control (basically a frame rate cap) doesn't work with your game.

Depending on how your dialog editor works, I can see why it might be this way. But from both a language perspective and a convenience feature I find these little dialog rejoinders annoying.
Here's an example:
i6v9Fwx.png

The dialog went like this: I initiated, asked if he has heard any rumors, he says the rumor, then this option comes up to either ask something else or say goodbye. Why not just give you the "something else" options on the menu instead of making you press 1 before doing so. I realize this seems like a very minor thing at a glance but if you talk to a couple thousand NPCs by the time the game is done you'll have pressed this extra keystroke maybe 5-10 thousand times.

Having some experience with dialog editors I can see why there might be technical (or logistical) reasons why you can't change this now, but in the future you should really think about it for the next game.

And more as a writing issue I just think all these are unnecessary and people don't talk this way.
Yeah, the dialogue thingy was found out to be annoying far too deep into the dev cycle. We'll do stuff to it in the DLCs. For now, you can sometimes get a dialogue that has no next question button, for example with Alex in Red Fighter, to get a taste of how we are going to fix it in future dlc :D Glad you like the game over all!

Balance issues and that bothersome ROUND problem we found half a year ago but always forget to fix will change in 1.08 already.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Just bought my copy on GOG and an extra one to promote the incline on a Fallout 3 fan who doesn’t know better... will probably play this all day long
Thanks a lot! Hope it worked!

Atomboy
dude post here or somewhere the changes in your patches, please
Yeah, sorry for a long reply, that DLC making business is keeping me away from the internet for ages. I thought nobody read those, but then we got some complaints, so we'll try posting notes together with posting patches from now on, unless it's a small hotfix, we will probably still rush those out faster than I can type in the change log. Our work ethic evolved into "rush the patch, go take a nap, maybe write a changelog someday because nobody reads those" but we were shown the error of our ways!

Steam occasionally thinks it needs an update on games that don't actually need one. I don't remember exactly what the reason for it was. I've gotten it on games I know for a fact have no update.
Yeah, there was actually an occasion like this too. But mostly, we just take changelog writing slow, because I thought nobody reads them.

Mikeal

Arcane
So I finished the ATOM RPG....

1TcU42C.png

SxNLUvl.png

fsX8ldH.png

and it was fucking glorious, didn't have so much fun with isometric game since times of Underrail at least. Solid 9/10 (but I would change few things like combat and bigger roster of the companions. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom