Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Until they start court japanese developers i don't care about store wars. At all.

I'm pretty sure they already did.

I imagine Kingdom Hearts 3, an Unreal Engine 4 game, only on Epic Store.
Speaking of which, jeez imagine the Unreal Engine license coming with an exclusivity clause for the Epic store, or at least with some preferential terms - if you are using our engine, we give you a discount for being exclusively on our store.
They already give a discount. In EGS your 5% for using UE is included into platform's cut (12%). Otherwise you pay those 5% as an extra charge.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
For Ubisoft, switching from Steam to Epic is giving a great boost to their own store: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-moved-the-division-2-to-the-epic-games-store

Why Ubisoft moved The Division 2 to the Epic Games store
CEO Yves Guillemot praises Epic's terms, but says move was to "increase player exposure to our own store"

Ubisoft's financials held steady in Q3, but CEO Yves Guillemot is anticipating "record performances" in Q4 and for the full-year. If this comes true, it will be in no small part due to Tom Clancy's The Division 2's late March release, which is already looking promising for the company.

During today's earnings call, Ubisoft reported that The Division 2's beta had seen a record number of players for an Ubisoft beta. And that wasn't the only positive sign. Guillemot reported that things were going especially well on PC - a somewhat surprising sign given that Ubisoft decided to ditch Steam for this release and put the game only on its own store, UPlay, and the Epic Games store instead.

Guillemot explained the company's decision as a way to drive more people to its own store, and offered numbers to support how well the decision was working out.

"There are a growing number of distribution platforms fighting for great content," he said. "With this deal, we saw an opportunity to increase player exposure to our own store while at the same time supporting a partner that greatly values our games and provides better terms. Early indications are supportive, as PC pre-orders are higher than for the first Division, and pre-orders on the Ubisoft store are six times higher. We believe this deal is a long-term positive for Ubisoft."

The Epic Games store takes only a 12% cut of developer sales, as opposed to Steam's base 30% (and, for bigger sellers, tiered system bringing it to as low as 20%), though the looming question remains whether it can attract a large enough audience to make that higher cut profitable overall for developers.

So Ubisoft thought that the Epic store was so shitty it would force people to buy their product from Uplay?I have to admit that's a creative way of thinking...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The proletariat demand that all those stores should be accessible from a single, standardized and open API so the consumer can shop around in them from an universal client.

Could you do that without being mega-sued, tho?

Because that's a pretty interesting programming concept for me...

I remember searching for this a few years back and... Razer of all fucking places seems to have this (except the open part). It searches for the best deal in any digital store it supports and lets you know.
https://www.razer.com/cortex/deals

https://eu.gamestore.razer.com/lp/closure

Dear Gamers,
We regret to announce that Razer Game Store (gamestore.razer.com) will cease operations on February 28, 2019 at 0100hrs Pacific Time as part of the company’s realignment plans.

It has been a privilege for us to recommend and deliver great digital game deals to you. We have been extremely fortunate to have you as part of our awesome community. Thank you for the support and making all this possible.

We will be investing in other ways to deliver great content and introduce game promotions through Razer Gold, our virtual credits system (https://gold.razer.com/). Do visit us there and stay tuned for more news.

Yours truly,
The Razer Game Store team

:hero:

Turjan

Arcane
So Ubisoft thought that the Epic store was so shitty it would force people to buy their product from Uplay?I have to admit that's a creative way of thinking...
I guess it kinda works. If I look at myself, I bought a couple Uplay keys (not on their store, but elsewhere) because I didn't like those double launcher shenanigans.

Codex Year of the Donut
For Ubisoft, switching from Steam to Epic is giving a great boost to their own store: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-moved-the-division-2-to-the-epic-games-store

CEO Yves Guillemot praises Epic's terms, but says move was to "increase player exposure to our own store"

Ubisoft's financials held steady in Q3, but CEO Yves Guillemot is anticipating "record performances" in Q4 and for the full-year. If this comes true, it will be in no small part due to Tom Clancy's The Division 2's late March release, which is already looking promising for the company.

During today's earnings call, Ubisoft reported that The Division 2's beta had seen a record number of players for an Ubisoft beta. And that wasn't the only positive sign. Guillemot reported that things were going especially well on PC - a somewhat surprising sign given that Ubisoft decided to ditch Steam for this release and put the game only on its own store, UPlay, and the Epic Games store instead.

Guillemot explained the company's decision as a way to drive more people to its own store, and offered numbers to support how well the decision was working out.

"There are a growing number of distribution platforms fighting for great content," he said. "With this deal, we saw an opportunity to increase player exposure to our own store while at the same time supporting a partner that greatly values our games and provides better terms. Early indications are supportive, as PC pre-orders are higher than for the first Division, and pre-orders on the Ubisoft store are six times higher. We believe this deal is a long-term positive for Ubisoft."

The Epic Games store takes only a 12% cut of developer sales, as opposed to Steam's base 30% (and, for bigger sellers, tiered system bringing it to as low as 20%), though the looming question remains whether it can attract a large enough audience to make that higher cut profitable overall for developers.

Perkel

Arcane
Ofcourse it is selling well. Apparently Epic gives their store exclusives at least now guaranteed sales.
Meaning that they dev and Epic set certain number of coppies sold and if game doesn't reach that amount then Epic will cover cost of those coppies and send cash to developer.

If only CDPR would release Fornite(to get that fat stacks of money) and bully everyone into their own GOG store.
That would be good.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Actually makes sense as a strategy, many people are already resigned to using Uplay/Origin etc and will probably choose those over Epic.

Creates kind of a dumb "Could be worse" mindset.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

It makes more sense with uPlay because you need it installed to play those Ubisoft games regardless of where you bought them from otherwise. Considering you have no friends on Epic store to show off to or compare library e-dicks with you might as well cut out the middle man and get it on uPlay.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's not like your library e-dick on Epic store will be something to brag about even if you get every game there.

RapineDel

Augur
I can get behind Ubisoft's strategy. Everyone hates the Epic store so what better way to make Uplay look good (while not looking like they're forcing people over) then giving people the choice between that and Epic?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Guys, i'm just going to throw this out there. Isn't more competition for steam good? Monopolies don't tend to work well for the consumer.

cosmicray

Savant
If its competetion is determined by publishers and gives no choice for end consumers, then no, it's probably not a good thing. Epic's consumers are publishers. So yeah, it's probably good for them to have a choice, but not for anyone else, if choice is stripped from the consumers that actually buy the end product.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Guys, i'm just going to throw this out there. Isn't more competition for steam good? Monopolies don't tend to work well for the consumer.

Except that exclusives are the antithesis of competition,nobody would complain if titles were available in both stores and everyone bought where they liked(you now like actual competition).

Actually makes sense as a strategy, many people are already resigned to using Uplay/Origin etc and will probably choose those over Epic.

Never said it didn't make kind of sense,I just applauded their out of the box thinking

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Compete by making a superior product, not forcing people into using your inferior product with exclusivity deals.

Epic has the money/resources to actually attempt something better than Steam, but they've just defaulted to console tactics.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Except that exclusives are the antithesis of competition,nobody would complain if titles were available in both stores and everyone bought where they liked(you now like actual competition).
FFS, exclusives are the embodiment of competition. They are competing companies trying to get ahead, not BFFs joining forces to share happiness with the world.

This thread is nothing but people looking just as dumb and whiny as Xbox and Sony fanboys. Console war comes to PC indeed.

Real crime is all the Windows exclusives on PC. That's very anti-consumer.

druggie.png

GrainWetski

Arcane
It's not like your library e-dick on Epic store will be something to brag about even if you get every game there.
They can brag that they care more about some retard in San Francisco than themselves. Who wouldn't want to do that?

GrainWetski

Arcane
FFS, exclusives are the embodiment of competition. They are competing companies trying to get ahead, not BFFs joining forces to share happiness with the world.

This thread is nothing but people looking just as dumb and whiny as Xbox and Sony fanboys. Console war comes to PC indeed.
You do realize platform exclusives are exactly what Xbox and Sony fanboys want, right? You can keep them in your precious console war indeed.

cosmicray

Savant
It depends on what is the competition. If they're competing purely on a content they have, then consumers aren't choosing between stores since there's nothing to choose between the two. If they're competing on features for the same content, then we might have a type of competition that consumer can choose and actually decide, which store to choose.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

You do realize platform exclusives are exactly what Xbox and Sony fanboys want, right? You can keep them in your precious console war indeed.
It will also drive down prices, and the difference here is the only "console" and I use the term very loosely in this instance, is the pc, which can have both launchers installed. So for a slight inconvenience, you will potentially be saving yourself wads of cash.

cosmicray

Savant
Would it really drive down prices for games? I don't remember EA selling EA games cheaper on EA store. Same with everyone else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom