Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Deleted Member 16721

Redemption is good, underrated even, with great campy voice acting and a very good story with memorable characters and plot. The gameplay is not bad either but it's mostly dungeon crawling with realtime combat. I like it though, good atmosphere and interesting set piece locations.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
or is it pre 1995 archaic jank
:nocountryforshitposters:
Why are all the people that joined in the last few months retards??? I personally don't care much about the join date,but there is something wrong with the last batch.

oh fuck off you europoor

go eat some potatoes
Ahhhh american,that explains it.

*American

and leave a space after your comma
Meh,all are inbreed colonial savages,who cares.

Bloodlines needs not to be remade, it's still holds up well today. I replayed it three or four years ago, with latest Wesp5 patch (thanks, mate! I really, really appreciate your dedication), and it was not only perfectly playable on my modern Win10 machine, but also still quite beautiful. While game's models and textures are simplistic, voice acting, art direction and facial animation makes up for that.

As for that Tender thingy, so far it looks under-cooked, and somewhat low-effort even for a publicity stunt. I wouldn't even mind promotional VtM ARG, or just VN, but I'm forcibly reminded of that abomination. I still haven't read the new rulebooks, but after Chechnya controversy and their reaction, and also after that page which described the new Brujah drawn from "social studies students" I really doubt that even if Paradox somehow found a competent dev team and invite Brian Mitsoda to write for them, that that even a fragment of older charm could be recreated. Mitsoda's Dead State wasn't as bad as some here state, but it wasn't a good game. Yeah, it had good to great environmental storytelling, but actual dialogues left much to be desired, especially at the start of the game. And if Kickstarter "Renaissance" have taught us something, is that most devs should stay in retirement and not try to recreate older hits with zero effort, relying only on nostalgia. Occupational burnout is a very real thing, it seems.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the first vampire masquerades game still playable??

or is it pre 1995 archaic jank
If you're referring to Redemption, it's 2000 Diablo-style jank.
I see this a lot, but it's not actually true. It's more like a classic party-based real-time RPG than Diablo. The only difference is you have to keep the mouse button pressed for them to attack. The lack of pause is disconcerting, though.

While I disliked Redemtion's mechanics and gameplay style (never finished it because of this), it sure had a nice atmosphere and a quite cool soundtrack for that time.

Vincente

Arbiter

I liked Redemption a lot more when I got to the second part of the game, Pink was a well-written comedic relief character and chainsaw made the game a breeze.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't like losing my waifu, Serena, when you transitioned into the modern nights, especially since I gave her all the thaumaturgy and kaldunic sorcery discipline books. In my current playthrough, I'll give them to Christof and make him a mage. I thought the NYC companions weren't as striking and memorable as the Dark Ages ones. Maaaybe Pink was fun, but the other two clowns were meh, don't even remember their names, just that they are a Nosferatu and a Toreador.

Vincente

Arbiter
Lily and Samuel, but yeah I get what you mean. I feel like Erik was the best DA companion with Wilhem being the close second, Serena was too silent for me to like her enough.

198312.jpg

Don Peste

Arcane
I have no idea if it was a bug or what, but in my playthrough, Serena seemed like she had a 99% chance to grab and suck the blood (don't remember the skill name) of *any* enemies.
I used to position her at the side of a door, Christof would pop-up to lure the enemy, and when the bad guy approaches, bam! Serena grabs him and sucks him dry. Rinse and repeat.
:bounce:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Always thought whole vampirism shtick were a bit weak, drink a wee bit of blood and you're suddenly a supernatural devil, eat umpteen steaks of flesh from one o species we raise to feed us and nothing.

Vlad were a fucking cool guy and noteworthy figure from history, but undead he inspired are all a bit poncy and Elvish really.

Except Kain from Legacy of course.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bloodlines needs not to be remade, it's still holds up well today. I replayed it three or four years ago, with latest Wesp5 patch (thanks, mate! I really, really appreciate your dedication), and it was not only perfectly playable on my modern Win10 machine, but also still quite beautiful. While game's models and textures are simplistic, voice acting, art direction and facial animation makes up for that.

While Bloodlines does hold up perfectly today, a remake would introduce a lot of new players. I agree that a remake would hardly improve anything, because the game holds up great and I can't imagine anyone could improve it aesthetically. However, graphical improvement is not the only thing remakes are made for.

A Redemption remake would be far better, though.

Vatnik Wumao
So uh, in your guys' opinion, where will the game take place? L.A like Bloodlines, NYC like Redemption, or somewhere new like Chicago?
If they're smart, they'll do 5 different locations around the world. Back in the days, everything Chinese used to be hip, so Deus Ex did Hong Kong, while VtMB did China town. Nowadays, Russia and Arabic countries are exotic. And timetravel through any mechanics (someone's memories, torpor, whatever) would be great.

So all in all:
- Russia
- Any Assamite territories - Arabic, Middle Eastern, maybe Turkish
- Time travel to Dark Ages Constantinople
- Time travel to Victorian America around Mississippi with their famous steamboats, the area infused with the creole culture, to give homage to a certain vampire novel
- Last one is up to your, Paracucks

I didn't like that in Redemption tbh - I'd prefer if it was only about either the middle-ages or modern era. Hope it picks a setting and sticks to it.
"Didn't like"? Nigga, it was mind blowing. For half a game you play in the middles ages and then bam you're in the modern world with a shotgun. It was mind blowing.

Fortunately, it's an old game now and most people wouldn't expect that particular trope. It's ripe to be exploited again.

Yes so mind blowing that blasting vampires with a shotgun was exactly the same as using a bow. The whole time jump thing in Redemption also did not take into account generation level of the protag and antagonists. As a low generation vamp, the protag should have been mopping the floor with 13th gen weaklings but fighting modern vamps is exactly the same as when the protag was squaring off against his contemporaries. It was a cool concept but wasted.

lightbane

Arcane
I don't think there's enough data right now to judge how bad "Tender" turns out eventually.

*Checks WoD wiki about Tender*
So, now Nosferatu are kind of an allegory of date rape? :hmmm:

Wasn't the latest edition kind of shafted when the original writers got hit with the censorship button after managing to offend everyone?

Reinhardt

Arcane
If it's remake then r.i.p. Jeanette.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom