Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I finished Morrowind...

What should I play next?

• STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Jagged Alliance 2

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Secret of Monkey Island

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
And I want to fucking kill everyone who participated in cutting mechanics and lore-rape during creation Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean, for fuck sake, they had a good stat&skill system and awesome magic and only small rework to improve combat was required and make players less afraid of level up. But, NO! They decided to cut almost all mechanics, even those that sounds fun for casual audience. Instead of epic land that was described in books as Skyrim - they created a shallow Chinese ripoff that even casual player calls boring as hell. While playing Morrowind I started thinking that I can't even force myself to think of playing Skyrim again, since it's so shitty and boring in comparison to Morrowind. Even creatures in Solstheim DLC better than generic bullshit that was in Skyrim. Those who defiled and raped TES series should burn in hell.

Now, after temperature in my room stabilized after my butthurt, I decided to play different game. However I not kinda sure what game I should play next, so I decided to make a poll with three games that interested me recently.

P.S. I know that Secret of Monkey Island isn't RPG, but I still decided to ask because got interested recently and saw many people on codex who love Monkey Island. Also, please comment, if playing first KOTOR or first Jagged Alliance worth it.

Edit: When I wrote "I finished Morrowind" - I meant that I have done all quests (except vampires and Great Houses where I wasn't member), maxed out all skills and stats and had top armor and weapons. I also explored many caves and tombs, but I obviously missed something because Morrowind is very big game. I didn't meant 100% completion, I meant that I have done most of content.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Morrowind is legendary. Do not expect another game to come close to it.

Yes KOTOR 1 is worth playing. It's a fun Star Wars game with good combat, narrative, and tons of charm. Worth checking out.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Voted for Secret of Monkey Island, if you like the genre and can run it properly, that is.

Although, if you could endure Morrowind, you're a potential candidate to play through Tides of numanumanana and report back your findings, is the whole thing really that horrible from beginning through the end or is there some small pieces to save, could never get very far, i'm sure you can do it.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Although, if you could endure Morrowind, you're a potential candidate to play through Tides of numanumanana and report back your findings, is the whole thing really that horrible from beginning through the end or is there some small pieces to save, could never get very far, i'm sure you can do it.
562.png

Falksi

Arcane
Monkey Island every time. JA2 & KOTOR 1&2 all have their charm & plus points, but Monkey Island 1-3 are bonafide classics and the absolute pinacle of P&C adventure games.

Leitz

Learned
The game sucks. 1/3 of it's playtime you're running around as a diplomat.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
And I want to fucking kill everyone who participated in cutting mechanics and lore-rape during creation Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean, for fuck sake, they had a good stat&skill system and awesome magic and only small rework to improve combat was required and make players less afraid of level up. But, NO! They decided to cut almost all mechanics, even those that sounds fun for casual audience. Instead of epic land that was described in books as Skyrim - they created a shallow Chinese ripoff that even casual player calls boring as hell. While playing Morrowind I started thinking that I can't even force myself to think of playing Skyrim again, since it's so shitty and boring in comparison to Morrowind. Even creatures in Solstheim DLC better than generic bullshit that was in Skyrim. Those who defiled and raped TES series should burn in hell.

Now, after temperature in my room stabilized after my butthurt, I decided to play different game. However I not kinda sure what game I should play next, so I decided to make a poll with three games that interested me recently.

P.S. I know that Secret of Monkey Island isn't RPG, but I still decided to ask because got interested recently and saw many people on codex who love Monkey Island. Also, please comment, if playing first KOTOR or first Jagged Alliance worth it.

Edit: When I wrote "I finished Morrowind" - I meant that I have done all quests (except vampires and Great Houses where I wasn't member), maxed out all skills and stats and had top armor and weapons. I also explored many caves and tombs, but I obviously missed something because Morrowind is very big game. I didn't meant 100% completion, I meant that I have done most of content.
Consoles dude. And it's only downhill from here...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Every time I see a Morrowind thread or post, exploration music kicks in. Can't not hear it.
Every time I read a Morrowind thread, I think about
  • how much that guy by the boat looks like Kevin Spacey
  • how that idiot in town is probably still looking for his ring (I stole it! Ha! Jerk!)
  • how it would be better to walk to Balmora, so I can visit that shrine, meet the thief, and get murdered by larva
  • how awesome the first contact with the Dreamer is (guy on bridge in Balmora)
  • how I never once went directly to the Dwemer Puzzle Box - how I always forget where it is until I get to the telescope and am loaded down with 5 ancient cogs
  • at what point I'll come back and murder everyone in the Balmora Council Club
  • it seems I have 47 quests at this point, and I don't think I'm near the start to any of them, but there were 3 in the last town I was in

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kotor 2 has quite a few good systems. Crafting, conversations, party development. The world can really suck you in. A lot of things could throw you right out if you let them, but if you were willing to appreciate good things in Morrowind despite its flaws, I'm sure you can do the same with Kotor 2.

The first game is much worse. I wouldn't start with it if you're not a 15 years old SW fanboy. Just read a synopsis on Mandalorian Wars. Perhaps you could find a relatively spoiler free one.

Martyr

Arcane
The first game is much worse.
Agreed.
but I still think he should play KotOR 1 first, or else he'll miss the references to the first game. characters like Vrook and Malak. and one of my favorite things about KotOR 2 is seeing how Dantooine and Korriban have changed; they've got a completely different feel to them.
imo Rinslin Merwind should just rush through the first KotOR if he wants to play KotOR 2. I play KotOR every 2-3 years and if I do a dark side playthrough and fully concentrate on the main quest (with a bit of Pazaak and Swoop races here and there, but ignoring side quests) I can finish the game in 16-17 hours. so it's not like a gigantic time-loss.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Well, thanks everyone for participation, I going to try JA 2. Poll closed (and even I fucked up in closing poll - it's too late to vote).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom