Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

ADL

Prophet
Yes, everything is level scaled so it's pointless to get new items, craft or do anything. The true pinnacle decline in a genre that is decline itself. People that actually like that should stop playing games.
People who think invalidating 95% of the game is a good idea because muh linear progression should stop playing content-driven themepark MMOs.

Don't get me wrong, you're right about gear being unimportant until you hit max level but that's more of an argument against the 1-50 leveling structure than it is against scaling because once you're CP160, it's awesome having every single gear item/quest/dungeon/raid/zone in the game being made for you.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What's the point of progression at all then? Just make an action game and fuck off from RPGs. All these mmos are failing because they trivialize 50% of their game for no reason and turn off a lot of people. So I have to steamroll your 1 to whatever max level just so I can start playing any meaningful or challenging content? Great design.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What's the point of progression at all then? Just make an action game and fuck off from RPGs. All these mmos are failing because they trivialize 50% of their game for no reason and turn off a lot of people. So I have to steamroll your 1 to whatever max level just so I can start playing any meaningful or challenging content? Great design.

I wish they would do this. I think it's obvious that the majority of players these days don't want to deal with a 300 hour long tutorial but all mmos hold onto this stupid progression crap

MMOs should be more like dark souls or vermintide, where the game is designed to be fun and challenging regardless of level, not "faceroll for 300 hours THEN THE REAL GAME BEGINS!"

ADL

Prophet
datamined https://elderscrolls.net/2019/01/06/30234-eso-elsweyr-izobrazheniya-i-podrobnosti/
"Venture to the land of the Khajiit in The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr, our newest chapter, an epic story in an all-new zone. Face dread creatures from the past—Dragons!—and discover the dark skills of a new character class, the Necromancer, as you join with new friends and old enemies to save Elsweyr from war and devastation.

ESO reaches new heights of storytelling with a war against the Dragons that unfolds and builds over four quarterly releases to an unexpected climax."
W9QHku6.png

vampiregrave

Educated
Official announcement:

We are excited to announce the next Chapter in The Elder Scrolls Online saga, The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr, coming to PC/Mac, Xbox One and PlayStation®4 on June 4. Learn about this brand-new adventure and the year-long Season of the Dragon storyline here.

YouTube: The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr – Cinematic Announce Trailer

THE SEASON OF THE DRAGON
Keep both eyes on the skies! During the Season of the Dragon, you can experience a year-long interconnected adventure that begins very soon with the Wrathstone DLC game pack and continues through the upcoming Elsweyr Chapter and beyond. Here’s the Season of the Dragon schedule:

1. Wrathstone DLC dungeon pack

2. Elsweyr Chapter

3. Unannounced Q3 DLC dungeon pack

4. Unannounced Q4 DLC story zone
The Season of the Dragon is here!

As always, each release will feature an incredible stand-alone story, but the Season of the Dragon brings it all together as part of an epic adventure that runs throughout the entire year – a first for The Elder Scrolls Online!

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: ELSWEYR
The Dragons have returned to Tamriel. Unleashed upon the world by the unwitting Abnur Tharn and the Imperial usurper queen Euraxia, the great Kaalgrontiid and his followers hunt from the skies and threaten to burn down the ancestral home of the Khajiit.

Elsweyr is packed with new stories, adventures, and challenges, including:

• A whole new zone to explore: Elsweyr

• An epic main story quest line that ties into the Season of the Dragon

• A powerful new Class: Necromancer

• A challenging new 12-player Trial: Sunspire

• Massive new world events: Dragon Attacks

• A huge amount of unique delves, public dungeons, and stand-alone quests

• A host of updates and quality-of-life improvements
Explore the stunning (and dangerous) land of Elsweyr

Previously, you have been able to explore the province of Elsweyr in The Elder Scrolls: Arena and its outer edges in ESO’s regions of Reaper’s March and Khenarthi’s Roost, but in this new adventure, you can fully experience the home of Tamriel’s beloved cat people. In Elsweyr, you can traverse both fertile grasslands and scorching deserts, interact with moon-sugar farmers and wandering nomads, or confront merciless Imperial occupiers and roaming bandits. In this new Chapter, you can truly dive into the life, history, culture, and mythology of the Khajiit and their homeland.

Of course, in addition to exploring this new zone, you’ll also be called upon to defend the Khajiiti people against a devastating new threat: Dragons. However, in this Chapter you’re no Dragonborn, and you’ll need to work with your fellow players and powerful allies in order to take these winged beasts down.

Command the undead with the Necromancer Class

Finally, Elsweyr also introduces the highly anticipated Necromancer Class to ESO. With this dark, mysterious new Class, you will be able to command the dead and cast powerful elemental spells to overcome your foes and bolster your defenses. With the Necromancer, death itself is a weapon!

PRE-PURCHASE ELSWEYR NOW
You can pre-purchase _The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr _now to receive unique rewards at launch, including the Noble Clan Chief costume, Blue Dragon Imp pet, Treasure Maps, a Baandari Pedlar Crown Crate, and Experience Scrolls. In addition to this, for digital pre-purchases only, you’ll receive immediate access to the Rahd-m’Athra mount!

The otherworldly Rahd-m’Athra mount

Elsweyr will be available in the following editions:

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Standard Edition

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Digital Upgrade

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Digital Collector’s Edition

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Digital Collector’s Edition Upgrade
The Elsweyr Collector’s Edition comes with all the pre-purchase bonuses in addition to a host of unique digital goodies. For more information on each version of Elsweyr and to find out which one is right for you, check out our editions article, and you can pre-purchase Elsweyr on our Buy Now page right now!

TAMRIEL BURNS
The Season of the Dragon year-long adventure is unlike anything we’ve ever released before, and Elsweyr is a huge part of this epic tale. We can’t wait to reveal everything that is coming to_ESO_’s newest Chapter and this massive, interconnected story, so keep an eye out for more information in the coming months.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr is coming to PC/Mac, Xbox One, and PlayStation®4 on June 4. PC/Mac players can take part in Early Access starting May 20. Pre-purchase Elsweyr now to receive unique bonus rewards and gain immediate access to the Rahd-m’Athra in-game mount (conditions apply). Don't miss out!

ADL

Prophet
I wanted to let everyone know that Eric Wrobel is no longer with the company. We appreciate his efforts over the years on ESO and wish him well in his future endeavors.

Going forward, we will be restructuring the team to encapsulate both PVE and PVP teams, with Brian Wheeler taking over as Lead Combat Designer. Brian has years of experience in MMOs and combat – on both Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online, he was heavily involved in class balance in both PVE and PVP. I know the team is in good hands and look forward to seeing what the future brings for that team.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is the way to go still farming Dolmens so you can go straight to world bosses, dungeons and raids and avoid all the pointless content set on tutorial mode difficulty by the one Tamriel patch? 70% of the content on the game is irrelevant from a gameplay point of view and uninteresting as fuck as Betheda's not-DnD knock off setting isn't that interesting after Oblivion so you can't even enjoy that content for the story. The secondary quests and and delves were the ones really hit hard, they are fucking waste of time outside the odd skyshard finding.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is the way to go still farming Dolmens so you can go straight to world bosses, dungeons and raids and avoid all the pointless content set on tutorial mode difficulty by the one Tamriel patch? 70% of the content on the game is irrelevant from a gameplay point of view and uninteresting as fuck as Betheda's not-DnD knock off setting isn't that interesting after Oblivion so you can't even enjoy that content for the story. The secondary quests and and delves were the ones really hit hard, they are fucking waste of time outside the odd skyshard finding.
If you don't like the world/story then there's no reason to play.

Well, the PvP was actually pretty good tbh.

Seethe

Arbiter
Imagine actually thinking that this piece of crap has better combat than ANY other ES game. In what other ES game do you need to throw an autoattack between every spell, and cancel the animation for each autoattack with the spell that follows it? Because that's literally how you are supposed to deal dps in this game. Or cancel spell animation with weapon swapping. It's fucking retarded and whoever thinks this game's combat is better even than Morrowind's needs to get his head checked.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
Sounds like you just suck at pushing buttons.

Git Gud.

I never even played. This is one of the reasons why. It's not about having to do it, it's about how bad the combat looks, like a jittery clunky mess. It's fast paced zoomer garbage

Gerrard

Arcane
Imagine actually thinking that this piece of crap has better combat than ANY other ES game. In what other ES game do you need to throw an autoattack between every spell, and cancel the animation for each autoattack with the spell that follows it? Because that's literally how you are supposed to deal dps in this came. Or cancel spell animation with weapon swapping. It's fucking retarded and whoever thinks this game's combat is better even than Morrowind's needs to get his head checked.
That just shows you how shit the combat in all of ES games was.
Also git gud.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Implying that there's any skill to animation cancelling? To me it felt like failed mixture of tab-targetting and action combat that has an old bug as a mechanic.

Seethe

Arbiter
^^ what games do you like?

I like most games that aren't fast paced button mashers. Mount & Blade, Crusader Kings 2, Warcraft 3, the Total War series, Disciples 2, Age of Wonders, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Monster Hunter World, the Souls series. I also used to like WoW a lot, as a MMO comparison. My favorite MMO combat is from Guild Wars 2, but the rest of the game is garbage. Why?

ADL

Prophet
Arguing which TES game has the best combat is like comparing roadkill.
No argument there but I'll still take ESO over all of them because at least there's a high skill ceiling and active abilities. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind can honestly say that this has "worse combat than Skyrim". It's a sentiment I see everywhere.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arguing which TES game has the best combat is like comparing roadkill.
No argument there but I'll still take ESO over all of them because at least there's a high skill ceiling and active abilities. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind can honestly say that this has "worse combat than Skyrim". It's a sentiment I see everywhere.
Well, having no cooldown is a very large pro to many. Cooldowns without any discernable reason other than "muh balance" are just annoying.
Oblivion & Skyrim combat is bad, but at least it is fluid. You can select any spell at any given time, as the game pauses while you do so. Spells are little more than "special ranged weapons". It's simplistic, but that is what makes it fluid. Only "shout"-like abilities have a cooldown.
Meanwhile, in ESO, you have to use "exploits" to get even close to anything fluid. You basically walk around while you wait for your absurdly low number of abilities to "recharge".

If you only look at the basic weapon combat + blocking/parrying, ESO wins, because, well... it is just done much better.
But the extremely limited amount of abilities and their cooldowns are annoying to many.

But I find neither game challenging on any level, so I'm not sure what comparing pest to cholera really does.
I'd just wish another game with Morrowind combat came out before I make it myself :lol:

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
I'm glad that the game is level scaled before I had to force myself at the awful vanilla content, now I can freely choose (i still have to finish vanilla content for those skill points).

Yes, everything is level scaled so it's pointless to get new items, craft or do anything.
not really, you still need new gear and items and crafting is basically endgame content, after lvl 50 you start to gain cp and the scaling stops at 160 cp (you can get up to 600). ESO is a cash shop dress as a game, it has its flaws but I enjoy it. Weird enough I'm having more fun with ESO than wow (fuck how awful is to lvl up from 1 to 90 in wow.)

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
OK it's pointless up to 90% of the game. :lol: You still must grind crafting and skill points to get to end stuff. Great system. At least at release there was a design behind the progression, the crafting and the zones, now is do whatever and whenever you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom