Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Horror Adventure Thread

Red Hatter

Novice
Barrow Hill actually has two parts, BH: Curse of the Ancient Circle and BH: The Dark Path. Also there are two versions of Downfall, the original being released in 2009, and Downfall: Redux from 2016.

Please add Fran Bow, if you're still working on that list.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Barrow Hill actually has two parts, BH: Curse of the Ancient Circle and BH: The Dark Path. Also there are two versions of Downfall, the original being released in 2009, and Downfall: Redux from 2016.

Please add Fran Bow, if you're still working on that list.
please provide a list of all fran bow games with gameplay videos and i'll add them. it's not just that i'm lazy, i also don't have much time any more on my hands. at least for a while.

Red Hatter

Novice
Here you go. I also added other games I mentioned.

Barrow Hill - The Dark Path

Downfall (2009 version)

Fran Bow

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Darkseed 1 is a so-so point-and-click adventure game, Darkseed 2 is a FMV game.

The game boxes are pretty cool though.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Detention (wiki, steam)
Good horror adventure game set in '60 Taiwan with a Silent Hill vibe. Currently has overwhelming positive user rating on steam.

(sorry if it has been already mentioned)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The Fatal Frame (Project Zero in Japan) series (wiki). I liked a lot the original trilogy for the PS2 (2001-2005). I haven't played the more recent games for the Wii, but they seems mediocre games and not scary as the PS2 games.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
what's with the trailers? no gameplay videos out there?
Some gameplay examples:

Fatal Frame 1 (2 and 3 are identical). The gameplay is similar to silent hill/resident evil (free movement, 3rd person point of view, press button to examine/take/open what you are facing) without combat. Specific to the series is the use of first person camera to take photos of ghosts...

Detention (free movement, 3rd person lateral 2D view, point and click):

(it's difficult to find gameplay videos without silly commentary/spoilers, etc...)

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
"Stay" (official site, link to steam)

A kind of escape room with a interesting premise: you interact with the imprisoned main character via chat messages and the game acknowledges the time passed between playing sessions. Good atmosphere, but puzzles are a bit arbitrary.

Example of gameplay (point and click adventure):

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what's with the trailers? no gameplay videos out there?
Some gameplay examples:

Fatal Frame 1 (2 and 3 are identical). The gameplay is similar to silent hill/resident evil (free movement, 3rd person point of view, press button to examine/take/open what you are facing) without combat. Specific to the series is the use of first person camera to take photos of ghosts...

rejected for the following reasons: PlayStation 2, Nintendo 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Xbox

troupeg

Educated
Fatal Frame is fantastic, can't believe you're refusing to play them; they're on easily emulatable hardware and totally worth playing all 5 of the games.

Anyways:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1006510/Devotion/
From the creators of the IndieCade Journey Award winner Detention, Red Candle Games brings you a story Inspired by East Asian folk culture. Devotion is a first-person atmospheric horror game depicting the life of a family shadowed by religious belief. Explore as a 1980s Taiwan apartment-complex lost in time gradually shift into a hellish nightmare. Delve into the vows each member of the family has made, and witness their devotion.
Story
You step into your apartment, 80s music drifts through the air, an idol show plays on the television; a nostalgic setting surely, but what is this feeling of unease? You question this place you used to call “home,” noticing as it distorts with every shift of your eyes, anxious as your surroundings skirt the precipice of the extraordinary. As you push through each memory, uncovering the layers of each mystery, you may find buried in this home, the unsettling truth of those who lived here.
“Remember what you prayed for…”
Features
  • First-person atmospheric horror
  • Story-driven exploration and intrigue
  • Sound design applying the use of East Asian instruments and 80s Taiwanese music
  • Relive the 1980s Taiwanese lifestyle through visuals and setting
  • Unique Taiwanese/East Asian reference (folk culture, elements of taoism/buddhism)
Original Theme Song
Written and performed by Golden Melody Award winner “No party for Cao Dong”.

It's the next game by the people who made that 2D Sidescrolling Horror Adventure that takes place in the Taiwanese School with ghosts.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Fatal Frame is fantastic, can't believe you're refusing to play them; they're on easily emulatable hardware and totally worth playing all 5 of the games.

Anyways:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1006510/Devotion/
From the creators of the IndieCade Journey Award winner Detention, Red Candle Games brings you a story Inspired by East Asian folk culture. Devotion is a first-person atmospheric horror game depicting the life of a family shadowed by religious belief. Explore as a 1980s Taiwan apartment-complex lost in time gradually shift into a hellish nightmare. Delve into the vows each member of the family has made, and witness their devotion.
Story
You step into your apartment, 80s music drifts through the air, an idol show plays on the television; a nostalgic setting surely, but what is this feeling of unease? You question this place you used to call “home,” noticing as it distorts with every shift of your eyes, anxious as your surroundings skirt the precipice of the extraordinary. As you push through each memory, uncovering the layers of each mystery, you may find buried in this home, the unsettling truth of those who lived here.
“Remember what you prayed for…”
Features
  • First-person atmospheric horror
  • Story-driven exploration and intrigue
  • Sound design applying the use of East Asian instruments and 80s Taiwanese music
  • Relive the 1980s Taiwanese lifestyle through visuals and setting
  • Unique Taiwanese/East Asian reference (folk culture, elements of taoism/buddhism)
Original Theme Song
Written and performed by Golden Melody Award winner “No party for Cao Dong”.

It's the next game by the people who made that 2D Sidescrolling Horror Adventure that takes place in the Taiwanese School with ghosts.
looks like a walking simulator.
i've only found an alpha gameplay video so far so maybe the game changed since the alpha.
if you're playing it or following this game tell me when gameplay videos are out.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I mean, it looks nice, but the combat is unnecessary, a good chunk of the puzzles are boring or obtuse, and the story ends on an incredibly overused twist. I went into it a year or so back looking forward to it, and just coming out disappointed.

wishbonetail

Learned
Yeah, that's why i mentioned RE1. I think it has some pretty cool vibe and i actually liked its old horror cheesyness, and endings are crap in most adventures anyway.
So, surprised "Inside" wasn't mentioned. It's a sidescroller, not exactly a horror but disturbing enough alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4AuKdb_dA

Spukrian

Savant
So I recently played Those Who Remain. I didn't like it. Well, not sure if I should do a review of it... anyway, here's a let's play:

I consulted it when I got stuck in the game.

EDIT (15th September 2023):

So this was a low effort post. Let me remedy that.

The gameplay is basically avoid darkness. In darkness you take a lot of damage very quickly. You solve puzzles while avoiding darkness, trying to find a light switch. Occasonally there are (terrible) stealth sections where you have to avoid an enemy. There's at least one chase sequence (I hate chase sequences). There is a paralell world that you can travel back and forth to, this is used in both puzzles and stealth sections, I remember in particular that there was this maze that you had to navigate while going between the worlds. At various points you have to make a moral choice whether to show mercy... or condemn someone to hell. This affects your ending. Puzzles are bland and forgettable. There was this one puzzle that I'm convinced they stole from some Resident Evil game.

The story is.. two stories actually. The personal story is that you are some dude going to meet up with his mistress in a motel when shit hits the fan. Apparently there was an accident in his past and this caused a lot of guilt... The other story is that this girl was bullied and died due to the bullies, but since the fathers of the bullies had a lot of power in this town they managed to cover it up. The mother of the girl summoned a demon which caused everything going to shit. The story is kind of interesting but falls apart when you start to think about it.

Some points:
*You can't jump or crouch in this game.
*It's a Unity game, with that in mind, some things they pull off seems impressive.
*The voice acting is terrible and the script seems to be written by an ESL

Overall I had low expectations, I didn't get disappointed really but it's not really a good game.

Last edited:

Jamesmorris

Barely Literate
I once tried to pass Outlast, but my psyche could not stand even watching Let's Play

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom