Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #55: Director's Cut coming in June

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Paul Marzagalli; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

Bard's Tale IV was a flop on release, but thanks to the Microsoft buyout, inXile have been able to continue supporting it. In December, they announced that a major update was on the way, featuring numerous improvements and a free DLC. As is often the case, that update has now become a full-blown Director's Cut, to be released in June. The latest Kickstarter update has the details:

2.0 expands to become the Director’s Cut

We are still in development on the free DLC patch, which also includes a number of other player-requested features and items off of our own post-release support list. As the scope of the patch has expanded (and continues to), we decided that it warranted a more formal title than 2.0. When released, it will turn the game into “The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director’s Cut”. We are introducing several new features, most notably the previously mentioned DLC and an engine update, a larger undertaking allowing us to further improve performance and optimization. Many of those features were discussed in our last update, and include:
  • A new dungeon and story line featuring new enemy types
  • New items (master-crafted gear and Dwarven Weapons)
  • Inventory filtering
  • Expanded balancing efforts across the entire game (combat, economy, abilities, etc.) based on player feedback and our own testing
  • A new Song of Exploration allowing you to bypass puzzles if those aren't your jam
  • Additional character portraits
  • A new intro animatic
  • Expanded work on improving localization
  • Updated game engine
  • Improved performance and stability
  • Improved level art
  • Reworked main menu
  • Numerous bug fixes
And much more! We are also currently working with Microsoft to improve and optimize our gamepad support. The Director's Cut is scheduled to go live in June.​

So that's nine months of post-release support for a game that appears to have sold fewer than 50,000 copies. Pretty nice! The only catch is that Mac and Linux backers are going to have to wait until then to play the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
InXile said:
2.0 expands to become the Director’s Cut
  • A new Song of Exploration allowing you to bypass puzzles if those aren't your jam
Coming next, The Bard's Tale IV 3.0 with a new Song of Exploration allowing you to bypass combat if that isn't your butter!

Followed by, The Bard's Tale IV 4.0 with a new Song of Exploration allowing you to bypass the game if it isn't your bread!!!

:greatjob::happytrollboy:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Yeah, skipping those puzzles is the only way the game would be remotely playable for me, but is the rest of the game worth it?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
oh Jeebus :lol:

the fucking retarded whiners (including some Kodexers) got to them [their Microsoft overlords]

inb4 "now that I can just move right past the puzzles… the combat grinds my gears even more"

Martyr

Arcane
I really tried to like Bard's Tale 4, I tried my hardest.
first thing that put me off were the character models. second thing were the puzzles. Kylearan's Tower killed the game for me; I actually made it to the end of that dungeon but at the same time my will to play more went to less than zero.
maybe I'll check out the Director's Cut after I've finished my therapy for BT4-induced PTSD.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
My headaches start again... while I welcome not having to do all these repetitive filler puzzles (and they undoubtedly are), instant-solve-puzzles are off-putting. I mean what does that look like: It looks like the developers implemented something obsolete. It looks like they put something in there which doesn't belong there. It screams "baaaad game design". It looks ridiculous. And it will surely produce a sour taste in the mouth of players.

It would have been better if they actually removed or reduced 50% of the puzzles. Then it wouldn't give you the impression that there are things which don't belong there. You wouldn't miss what you wouldn't see. It wouldn't leave a sour taste in your mouth. It wouldn't feel ridiculous. And the overall gameplay would feel more rounded.

But if all these repetitive filler puzzles are still there to see, they'll stick out like sore thumbs. If all these puzzles are still there, many questionable design decisions remain there as well: like Siege of Castle Langskaal... which is probably the most repetitive level in existence. This place could have been cut in half with less filler puzzles. Or the annoying serpentine-paths of Inshriach. Removing puzzles would have been a chance to open up the space a bit more, make it less snake-like. Would that have been a disadvantage? Definitely not! In contrary.
The only disadvantage would have been that Savegames were not compatible anymore (if puzzles or parts of levels were removed completely)... but then again, who cares? There's no one playing this game anymore. Everybody has uninstalled the game already. And even if someone cared... after 9 months of patching he'd probably start the game from new anyways.

I feel a bit bad, because some months ago I made the post in their forums about "Autosolve Puzzles". And while I was totally serious at that point, it was not the best suggestion. But then again, I don't think that they made their decision based on my posting. They probably decided the quickest solution to calm down the whiners would in fact be the instant-solve-button. And by that they also weren't required to dump the efforts of their puzzledesigner. Though I doubt that removing puzzles is that much work either. I really doubt it. Besides I'm certain that much more people spoke out against the *amount* of puzzles, and that a "less is more" approach would have been better than an "instant-solve-solution" in the forums.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Already bought and finished it ages ago with all the bugs and stupid puzzles, why would I replay it instead of playing something new?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’m going to have to youtube these puzzles, since I do t even have a computer capable of playing TBTT let alone BT4. Are we talking block puzzles, pull chains, levers like say Anvil of Dawn or does Gollum pop up with the Riddler antagonizing you with a Pee Wee Herman word of the day! Or is it guessing how many boogers is on his hanky that might be in his pocket.
1e54c84b252b5ef015f729f93eb841df--favorite-words-jogging.jpg

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I’m going to have to youtube these puzzles, since I do t even have a computer capable of playing TBTT let alone BT4. Are we talking block puzzles, pull chains, levers like say Anvil of Dawn or does Gollum pop up with the Riddler antagonizing you with a Pee Wee Herman word of the day! Or is it guessing how many boogers is on his hanky that might be in his pocket.
1e54c84b252b5ef015f729f93eb841df--favorite-words-jogging.jpg

mebbe Grimrock or Lands of Lore style would be an accurate description

well actually much less antagonizing than Grimrock puzzles. They usually involve very little backtracking, or if they do it's by way of an alternate route that deposits you at the entry to the lower level rather than you having to just turn back

The puzzles are memorable enough that if you do several playthroughs in succession or you start over you can basically blow past them

They also break up the flow of exploration/ combat. Neither the puzzles nor the combat by themselves are outstandingly great, but the combination is pretty neat.

Overall there has been way too much whining about the puzzles

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just took a look. Yeah, the ones shown are unique, I’ll say that. Maybe I’m just comparing it too much to the originals. Without being able to actually do a run through myself I guess I just can’t know if it’s frustrating or fun.

cosmicray

Savant
well actually much less antagonizing than Grimrock puzzles. They usually involve very little backtracking, or if they do it's by way of an alternate route that deposits you at the entry to the lower level rather than you having to just turn back
Are Grimrock1 puzzles considered bad? Cause I liked them enough to fondly remember the game.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Are Grimrock1 puzzles considered bad? Cause I liked them enough to fondly remember the game.

depends on what you call bad, or rather your expectations. Grimrock combat is certainly weaker than BTIV combat, actually doing anything but combat is kind of welcome in Grimrock. For some reason it seems some people have taken offence to puzzles simply being present in BTIV's dungeons, I'd assume it's the same some people who took offence to hand crafted combat encounters vs. trash mobs, and for the same some reasons.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

depends on what you call bad, or rather your expectations. Grimrock combat is certainly weaker than BTIV combat, actually doing anything but combat is kind of welcome in Grimrock. For some reason it seems some people have taken offence to puzzles simply being present in BTIV's dungeons, I'd assume it's the same some people who took offence to hand crafted combat encounters vs. trash mobs, and for the same some reasons.

I like puzzles, I really liked grimrocks combat and puzzles, when a combat feels like a puzzle you have to solve in order to win ( AKA strategy/tactic ) I like that too.
Combat in BT became repetitive pretty fast, halfway through the game you already know how to beat every encounter with the same exact tactic it was getting boring.
Puzzles in BT have a few issues, first there are too many of them in the same place with almost no difference and they had no connection to the game at all, no lore no logic it felt like you are going down a dungeons then you turn on your phone and play some puzzle app for 1 hour and then go back to playing BT. The game doesnt end with fighting a big bad guy, it ends with solving a fucking big and very annoying puzzle that really wanted me to find the person responsible and pretend he is the end boss.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I like puzzles, I really liked grimrocks combat and puzzles, when a combat feels like a puzzle you have to solve in order to win ( AKA strategy/tactic ) I like that too.
Combat in BT became repetitive pretty fast, halfway through the game you already know how to beat every encounter with the same exact tactic it was getting boring.

uhm rly

the whole step-circles-around-the-beasties routine of Grimrock got v. tired v. fast. In fact Grimrock was the worst Dungeon Master clone I've ever played in this regard.

In BTIV at least two kinds of tactics apply in every fight: either you go straight for physical damage or mental damage. You can't know which applies before you've actually fought creatures of that type. And you have lots of different ways to build your party around both of those things. Especially being able to put out several instances of high mental damage per round is extremely valuable for stunlocking some particularly bad offenders, usually spellcasters.

One of the things that I thought would be simply annoying but turned out pretty neat is the way damage is dealt directionally. Lining up damage and debuffs makes combat interesting. "Exact same tactic" is either bullshit or you simply underutilized the tools the game gives you.

Puzzles in BT have a few issues, first there are too many of them in the same place with almost no difference and they had no connection to the game at all, no lore no logic

lolwut

how much "lore and logic" has there ever been to levers/ pits/ pressure plates in DM clones? Puzzles in Grimrock have a "connection to the game", how?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom