Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ostranauts is an upcoming spaceship-life sim set in the NEO Scavenger universe

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Blue Bottle Games; Daniel Fedor; Ostranauts

The survival-focused roguelike NEO Scavenger was one of our top games of 2014. Soon after its release, creator Daniel Fedor began working on a space-based follow-up, which became known as the "NEO Scavenger space prototype". Four years later, it's been formally revealed as Ostranauts, a "noir spaceship-life sim" set in the NEO Scavenger universe. It's not a direct sequel, though. The teaser trailer rather effectively demonstrates its relation with the original game:

Hey Folks!

I'd like to tell you about my latest game, Ostranauts.

Eight years ago, I began work on NEO Scavenger. And after five years of updates and ports, it was time to begin working on a new game. That game started as simply "space prototype," but has turned into quite a bit more.

So what is Ostranauts?

Ostranauts is a detailed simulation of owning and living aboard a spaceship, in a solar system where honest living is a slow death sentence. Set in the NEO Scavenger universe, where Earth has suffered cataclysmic collapse, the rest of the System lives on in a state of capitalistic dystopia.

Players will create their captain, build or customize their starting ship from the spoils of their career history, and find ways to keep their motley crew in line, fuel in their tanks, food on their plates, and the debt collectors at bay.

If this sounds interesting to you, you can learn more at the Ostranauts Steam page. Wishlisting it there will give me an idea how much interest there is in this game, and how much time I can spend on it.

And if you know anyone else who might dig this type of game, let them know! Spreading awareness is something everyone can do to help me continue to make games like this.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing the stories you create in Ostranauts!

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC

PS: Is this a sequel to NEO Scavenger? Not directly. Think of it more as a parallel story involving different characters, but in the same universe. An official sequel, continuing Philip Kindred's adventure, is still on my wishlist of games to make.

Ostranauts seems to be more of a RimWorld-esque sim game than a traditional RPG, although as stated it does have a player character that you create. Regardless, we loved NEO Scavenger, so I'm happy to give it some attention. You can wishlist Ostranauts here. According to the FAQ, it's coming out on Early Access later this year.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Neo scavenger was a clever little game that accomplished much with very little, expecting the same from this

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Life sim hey? If it doesn't include a bladder motive that gradually decreases throughout the day that can only be relieved by using a toliet, I'm not interested.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So if I see correctly there, apart from what we've had before: water, food and sleep - there will also be parameters regards human interaction. That is pretty neat.

I wonder if the need for sex will be there and/or the need to hear music (or to relax, in general), as that felt to me one of the least touched aspects of NEOS.

Anyway... it looks good, and I will wishlist it, maybe that way more money will be poured into it, and the production value will increase. :)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Added to wishlist.
Would like to buy and play.
The only thing that embarras me a bit is portraits choice... if you know what I mean.

PS Musics made by the guy who did it for Underrail. It's gonna be good.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Enjoyed Neo-scavenger a lot, good replay value, only rogue-lite aside from FTL that I played the shit out of.

Make death-restart enjoyable and will buy.

ew08GB7.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom