Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Wesp5

Arcane
I mean, Prey didn't push the enveloppe gameplay wise but the level design is something out of this world. Every single thing has a purpose, the sense of being in a place that could exist is built in a way I've rarely felt about any video game.

Really? Have you ever been in a functional environment? A space station with such a weird layout where you need to move back and forth between several elevators to even reach all areas looks ridiculous to me. But of course in that sense it was the spiritual successor to SS2: increase playing time of a game with a handful of small maps by hours just by having the player backtrack again and again and again...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Waldo Rectum (Creative Consultant on UA lets not forget) shits out some opinions

What's on the horizon for you? I know you’re working on System Shock 3. How is everything going with that?

Warren Spector: It's going well. I don't want to steal Underworld Ascendant's thunder, but it's definitely a game in the same vein.

https://dailydead.com/interview-leg...sses-his-latest-project-underworld-ascendant/

This is shortly before (or after) UA's release.

Steal that thunder! LOL

Zep--

Max Heap

Arcane
- It is safe to say that OS didn't make and will not make one cent with UA. According to SteamSpy, UA sold about 12,000 copies so far (not including refunds). The current sales price is $7.49, down from $29,99 after launch. Steam is also getting a cut, so total revenues are probably in the $100,000-200,000 range at the moment (with very limited future potential).

http://steamspy.com/dev/OtherSide+Entertainment

Steam takes a 30% cut.
From that the state of Massachusetts takes away 8% corporation tax (plus some funky distinction between taxable net worth and property, but that probably has little impact in relation)

Assuming all 12,000 units went over the table at 30 bucks (which wasn't the case but lets be optimistic) that makes a revenue of 360,000. Minus Steam and taxes that makes about 231,840 dollaridoos.

So that is the situation at the very best. I'd assume that Steamspy includes gifted games / games purchased from a third party. So those 12k include kickstarter backers, which we'd have to subtract to get the real amount of bought units.

Luckily Kickstarter lists the amount of ba-

SfPXURt.png

Oh...

Oh no....

So going by Steamspys maximum owner estimate (20k) that game has sold 6000 units at the very best. Which basically halfs the numbers stated above to 115k. Boy oh boy, if I was 505 I'd start writing that investment off.

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Steamspy isn't reliable anymore by any means. Not that the game sold well because I'm pretty sure it's a big flop, but they relied on things that are no longer available.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just let Otherside fucking die already; they are actively destroying the rose tinted memories of Looking Glass and their most prominent franchises like Ultima Underworld and System Shock... Thief was already done for once Ubi Soft got their grubby hands on the franchise and it definitely looks like System Shock 3 will be mediocre at BEST

Divinity: Original Sin
Just let Otherside fucking die already; they are actively destroying the rose tinted memories of Looking Glass and their most prominent franchises like Ultima Underworld and System Shock... Thief was already done for once Ubi Soft got their grubby hands on the franchise and it definitely looks like System Shock 3 will be mediocre at BEST

Ubi soft?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Ubi soft?

... when someone confuses Splinter Cell with Thief.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ubi soft?
Square Enix... same result

Ash

Arcane
Warren is getting old and senile judging by his talk about how "violence has to stop". How exactly is he going to portray System Shock 3 without violence?

It's trying to preach a message and compromising art (the game itself) in the process of this nonsensical pursuit.
It's like taking the Alien franchise and removing any action and killing from it because the Aliens are causing xenophobia in the viewers and this is bad because...reasons.
Fuck, can't you just make good high quality games, and if you really want to make a difference, use the (relative) big bucks you earn as producer on some altruistic pursuit that's actually meaningful and produces results? Hell you could donate to me to make a game, people are starving for good vidja in this age. They need nourishment.
At least use a new IP if you want to exercise new, questionable (in this context) design ideas because VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES IS BAD, PREACH!

Yes, violence is bad. Using well established video game franchises as the medium to preach this is...ah whatever. Modern game industry. None of 'em can get it right.

to quote Romero if I may: "DESIGN IS LAW". Nothing of this nature (sociopolitical messages) should come before. Or it was law, in the 90s...

Last edited:

Space Nugget

Warren is getting old and senile judging by his talk about how "violence has to stop". How exactly is he going to portray System Shock 3 without violence?

It's trying to preach a message, compromising art (the game itself) in the process of this nonsensical pursuit.
It's like taking the Alien franchise and removing any action and killing from it because the Aliens are causing xenophobia in the viewers and this is bad because...reasons.
Fuck, can't you just make good high quality games, and if you really want to make a difference, use the (relative) big bucks you earn as producer on some altruistic anti-voilence pursuit that's actually meaningful and produces results?
At least use a new IP if you want to exercise new, questionable (in this context) design ideas because VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES IS BAD, PREACH!

Yes, violence is bad. Using well established video game franchises as the medium to preach this is...ah whatever. Modern game industry. None of 'em can get it right.

to quote Romero if I may: "DESIGN IS LAW". Nothing of this nature (sociopolitical messages) should come before. Or it was law, in the 90s...

What? Warren Spector is not a fan of cheap, mindless, tasteless violence/gore that you find in most mainstream games nowadays. I mean, look what they did to Tomb Raider, I won't get into the whole "ludonarrative dissonance" argument, but Psycho Lara is laughable, and that's kinda becoming the norm.

He said so himself, he does not believe violent games make you violent, but it distorts the outlook of the medium, makes the market satured, it's not very clever nor interesting, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Arcane
OK snowflake.

Lara was also a psycho in the originals, for example trespassing on land and murdering its human inhabitants. It was awesome. Tomb Raider 2013's problem wasn't its portrayal of violence. It was everything. It's just shit. That's the case for nearly everything modern game industry. Only way to fix it is to nuke it from orbit and start over.

(my true, non-hyperbolic rating for TR2013 is 6/10)

Space Nugget

OK snowflake.

Lara was also a psycho in the originals, for example trespassing on land and murdering its human inhabitants. It was awesome. Tomb Raider 2013's problem wasn't its portrayal of violence. It was everything. It's just shit. That's the case for nearly everything modern game industry. Only way to fix it is to nuke it from orbit and start over.

(my true, non-hyperbolic rating for TR2013 is 6/10)

"Snowflake"?

Dude, you're the one getting your panties in a bunch.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Ubi soft?
Square Enix... same result
You're not too far from the truth -- a noticeable chunk of people who worked on Thi4f were former Ubisoft employees. That's why I usually refer to it as 'Assassin's Creed on a Wheelchair'.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Speaking of violence, I guess this is combat designer of SS3. Jimmy Sedota, worked on Middle-Earth games at Monolith, and Anthem and Andromeda at BioWare: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jimmy-sedota-2558a71/

Gameplay designer with 20 years of game development experience including lead and management roles. I have shipped multiple AAA titles as a designer and animator and I have extensive experience in the open world and 3rd person action genres. My primary areas of focus are with combat, AI, and developing good gameplay “feel”.

Principal Gameplay Designer - Combat
Company Name Monolith Productions (WB Games)
Dates Employed Jun 2009 – Apr 2016

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4, XBOX1, PC)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBOX1, PC)
Responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining multiple combat systems, includingplayer and enemy designs..

Lead Designer - Creatures
Company Name Bioware
Dates Employed May 2016 – Jul 2018

Anthem (unreleased)
Responsible for leading the creature design team and collaborating with various disciplines to deliver compelling enemy AI in a 3rd person, open world action game.

Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4, XBOX1, PC)
Design owner for multiple enemy AI.

Game Designer
Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Jul 2018 – Present

Cross

Arcane
It figures they had to get the Monolith employee who only worked on the LOTR games and not any of the games with actually fun combat that Monolith made before that. And Andromeda as the cherry on top of the shit cake. :lol:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Principal Gameplay Designer - Combat

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4, XBOX1, PC)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBOX1, PC)

This is all part of a master plan to keep expectations as low as humanly possible.

Space Nugget

So edgy. :roll:

That SS3 team is comprised of a fair share of seasoned game developers, unlike UA, is a good thing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Okay, let's do this. Developers on the team that can be found on the web.

Creative Director
Warren Spector

Design Director
Chase Jones - ex-Junction Point Design Director, Design Director on Scalebound at MS

Lead Programmer
Mark Allender - ex-Volition Tech Director

Art Director
Arturo Pulecio - ex-Junction Point

Designers
Jimmy Sedota (Combat?) - ME: Andromeda, Monolith Midde-Earth games

Programmers
Robb Thomas (AI) - ex-Ion Storm, ex-Junction Point AI programmer
John Sizemore - UI programmer at Red Storm, Insomniac
Evan LeGros - fresh graduate

Artists (exclude freelance concept artists)
Francisco Cruz III (Env) - ex-Arkane (Prey), ex-Bungie
Chris Douglas (Env) - 20+ years of env art including Prey

Producer
Vicki Resendez - ex-Disney

QA Manager
Kyle Uberman - ex-Certain Affinity QA Manager

Yeah, at least experiences, relevant and recent, are certainly plenty, unlike the UA team.

Missed are level designers. Is it just that no level designer at the team has an up-to-date web profile, or... no dedicated level designer at the moment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom