Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Max Heap

Arcane
Untitled.png

Is that a reference to Mason Verger?
I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about cutting up his own face.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Us: SHUT UP RETARD
Them; HURR DURR, WE'RE ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED.

That's his defense?

Sheesh.

Zep--

Space Nugget

Decided to check the new update for myself. Improved performance so far. Character movement still jerky/janky, for some reason. More "playable", I guess.

Things that happened:
  • Killed a skeleton, its body "ragdolled" upwards.
  • Burned a crate, the game crashed.
  • Left something burning in a fire (a crate or an urn, can't remember now -- possibly both), it blew up sending pieces flying like shrapnels (no damage).
  • While facing a closed door, a skeleton on the other side started attacking, cliping through, and hitting me.
  • Tried a random combination of runes, got "poisoned", lost segments of the health, almost dying. Then used the rune combination to heal myself. And died.

:hearnoevil:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
When it arrives, I will make a video of an unopened Special Backer Collector Edition box burning in the fireplace.

I also have an unopened Kickstarter Backer Special Collector Edition of Tides of Numenera. Maybe I will make a special Codex Edition Kickstarter Shit RPG box burning meme double feature.

I will require a special one-time Brofist harvesting license.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://otherside-e.com/wp/update-2-ks-update-february-2019/

Update 2 & KS Update (February 2019)

Hi everyone,

We recently launched Update 2 for Underworld Ascendant!

We have focused our efforts on the overall structure of the Abyss, the player journey, AI and other gameplay improvements. We believe these changes will improve the overall player experience, especially when starting a new game. The Grand Staircase now connects all of the levels, combat and AI has been improved again.

To read the full list of Update 2 changes, check out our post here on Steam.

For Kickstarter backers, we also bring an update to our rewards production schedule!

We have been focusing the majority of our attention to work on Update 2 and bringing Underworld Ascendant to consoles. As always, you can track the live status of all KS rewards here.

We are currently projecting to have the physical goods (figurines, art books, final hardcover novella editions, collector’s edition, etc) shipped by early summer of this year. Many assets are near completion or need a final review, and any digital rewards such as the soundtrack, Little Friends Claw Knuckles, and digital version of the Tracy Hickman novella, will be rolled out upon completion.

Speaking of Tracy’s novella, the manuscript is now complete. We’re now laying it out for printing. Here is a sneak peek at the covers for the novel, split into two parts:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

When we have more to share, we will post another update as soon as possible.

Cheers,The OtherSide Team

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Another take from the OS forum I disagree with:

I think six months early access would have ironed out this entire experience, and led to less negative bickering that hurt sales in the long run on Steam.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=8580.msg38840#msg38840

For the sake of the argument, let's assume they had delayed the release and it was a functioning game with most bugs fixed.

The game would still be little more than a collection of meaningless fetch quests. It would still be skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, from start to finish - one type of enemy throughout the entire game. It would still have the most unimaginative Super-Mario-meets-Sesame-Street type of story one could think of. Big Evil's name would still have been plagiarized from Prey - no clue why they don't get sued for that. The Saurians would still 'look like cheap plastic dinosaurs and sound like stoned new age hippies.' It would still have perhaps the ugliest inventory/trade interface in the history of RPGs with the same cartoonish symbols for all items in every category, from dagger to broadsword. The 'horrible voiceovers shouting inane nonsense at you' ("I will not hold your hand") would still break the little sense of immersion in the game. The storytelling by a mixture of graffiti, a floating mask, an Obi Wan-like figure and NPCs who repeat the same lines over and over again would still be ridiculous. The AI would still be brain-dead. Although the world is going to end imminently, the factions would still be reluctant to share their abyssal key unless you complete nonsensical missions for them. I could go on and on and on...

*Quotes from Techraptor, RPS.

The main problem of this game isn't the bugs and the unfinished state. That could be fixed. The problem is (almost) everything else.

Space Nugget

Another take from the OS forum I disagree with:

I think six months early access would have ironed out this entire experience, and led to less negative bickering that hurt sales in the long run on Steam.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=8580.msg38840#msg38840

For the sake of the argument, let's assume they had delayed the release and it was a functioning game with most bugs fixed.

The game would still be little more than a collection of meaningless fetch quests. It would still be skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, from start to finish - one type of enemy throughout the entire game. It would still have the most unimaginative Super-Mario-meets-Sesame-Street type of story one could think of. Big Evil's name would still have been plagiarized from Prey - no clue why they don't get sued for that. The Saurians would still 'look like cheap plastic dinosaurs and sound like stoned new age hippies.' It would still have perhaps the ugliest inventory/trade interface in the history of RPGs with the same cartoonish symbols for all items in every category, from dagger to broadsword. The 'horrible voiceovers shouting inane nonsense at you' ("I will not hold your hand") would still break the little sense of immersion in the game. The storytelling by a mixture of graffiti, a floating mask, an Obi Wan-like figure and NPCs who repeat the same lines over and over again would still be ridiculous. The AI would still be brain-dead. Although the world is going to end imminently, the factions would still be reluctant to share their abyssal key unless you complete nonsensical missions for them. I could go on and on and on...

*Quotes from Techraptor, RPS.

The main problem of this game isn't the bugs and the unfinished state. That could be fixed. The problem is (almost) everything else.
:excellent:

Couldn't have said it better myself. :salute:

Nyast

Cipher
I still haven't figured out if a "professional artist" worked on their UI, or if it was programmer's art that was left in the release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I still haven't figured out if a "professional artist" worked on their UI, or if it was programmer's art that was left in the release.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9e8wLv

Underworld Ascendant
UI/UX. Quest stats and UI assets. Font was provided by client. They requested a minimal “wireframe-like” aesthetic that didn’t stray too far from their existing UI, so I used ink lines.

amanda-williams-portfolio-ua-ui.jpg

Player inventory and health/mana status.

amanda-williams-ui-pieces5.jpg

amanda-williams-ui-pieces8.jpg

amanda-williams-portfolio-ua-runewheel.jpg

Rune Wheel UI

amanda-williams-portfolio-generalui.jpg

General UI. Font was provided by client. They requested a minimal “wireframe-like” aesthetic that didn’t stray too far from their existing UI, so I used ink lines.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
This is a problem with using freelance artists who are completely detached from the rest of the creative design process of the game. That UI could be used in any thousand of others games and no one would notice because it is so generic. I mean shit why even bother hiring someone for this, I'm sure there exist royalty free UI asset packs that would be just as good--or not good. Then again the design process for Ascendant seemed to be randomly smashing together assets that were cobbled together at the last minute so it would have been garbage either way, but at least you can aspire for unique garbage.

Viata

Arcane
Then again the design process for Ascendant seemed to be randomly smashing together assets that were cobbled together at the last minute so it would have been garbage either way, but at least you can aspire for unique garbage.

The whole game is randomized, man. The whole thing, in fact. I'm pretty sure every person on the team was randomly selected to do something during the game development.

Who would think even the assets were randomly selected? Talk about being true to its design.

Glic2000

Educated
Yeah, I really don't think UA is an example of a very talented team that was rushed to finish their project. It's the result of a team that was both in a rush to finish, and also had no talent/skills. Having all the time in the world isn't helpful if you just have poor taste, or you have no idea what you're doing.

Gord

Arcane
Infinitron actually lost faith in it much earlier than many others here (myself included).

Nyast

Cipher
That makes no sense. A week ago they said Update 3 would be the last one, besides minor patches and bug fixes.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Now it seems Update 3 will be just bug fixing and then new content in Update 4 *if* they don't have to pay out of pocket, which everyone knows they have to (UA is far from making any profit), so it is not going to happen, so it will be bug fixing only.

I think this is just to give the impression that they are still doing something with regard to UA as long as they are trying to find a new publisher for SS3 and after it becomes clear in the coming weeks that they won't find one, they are going to bury UA and the studio will go out of business.

My bet: OS is dead by mid-year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom