Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know what a "Troika-style RPG" is, but one thing Tim & Leonard have repeatedly stated since even before the game was announced is that Outer Worlds has a "Fallout & Arcanum style and humor". There's something here that they believe they're bringing with them from the old days. Maybe we don't see it, or maybe the things they value in the old games aren't the same things you value.

Tigranes

Arcane
Two of these companions sound like cookie-cutter SJWs

Felix -
"He’s a young, impetuous, brash kid who really loves fighting ‘the man.’ He doesn’t have a stable political philosophy beyond ‘smash the system,’"

Parvati -
“She doesn’t really fit in with the community, because it’s all about conforming and putting the corporations first."

And both women look so androgynous they could easily pass for men.

Tbh this reveal killed a bit of my excitement for the Outer Worlds.

A young rebellious male cut straight out of old school Hollywood & a woman that meekly conforms to social norms?! Boys, we found us a nasty SJW!!!!!!!

Honestly, I don't know why anyone even does these single-paragraph companion reveals. Their quality is dependent on the execution, not the high concept. Unless you have a clearly awesomesauce concept like a smack-talking skull that wakes you up in the mortuary, you might as well keep your mouth shut until release.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm looking forward to being very underwhelmed with the rationales behind these people swearing lifelong servitude to the player character. I particularly liked the part about how they're super unified by their need to hang out with you.

It's so much better when companions have reasonable goals and eventually leave because those goals no longer coincide with yours.

Yosharian

Arcane
And both women look so androgynous they could easily pass for men.

Tbh this reveal killed a bit of my excitement for the Outer Worlds.
I'm the opposite, Ellie looks much better in this reveal to me, and I never had a problem with Parvati. Not that I care that much about how they look, but there you go.

I couldn't care less about some stupid blurb someone wrote to describe their personalities, I want to see what they're actually like in-game before I decide about that.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm looking forward to being very underwhelmed with the rationales behind these people swearing lifelong servitude to the player character. I particularly liked the part about how they're super unified by their need to hang out with you.

It's so much better when companions have reasonable goals and eventually leave because those goals no longer coincide with yours.
Completely agree, I fucking hate that shit.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

I agree with you, but off the top of my head can't really think of any who do splinter away. Any examples?

I guess it kind of counts that you can do things that characters disapprove of in NV and they'll leave, like if you help the Legion too much with Boone hanging around, but it's not exactly the same thing

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with you, but off the top of my head can't really think of any who do splinter away. Any examples?
I guess not, I'm just daydreaming.

There is Angela Deth in Wasteland 2, who gets called back to base after the tutorial zones, but that doesn't really count either.

Codex Year of the Donut

I guess it kind of counts that you can do things that characters disapprove of in NV and they'll leave, like if you help the Legion too much with Boone hanging around, but it's not exactly the same thing
quite a few of the characters in the mass effect series(1-3) eventually leave you and go their own way
wrex, kasumi, grunt, thane†, jack, miranda, legion, zaeed, samara, mordin, jacob
liara and ashley/kaidan also part ways and eventually come back also

Trashos

Arcane
The presentation of the companions was mindblowingly boring. It shouldn't be possible to be so boring even if they focused on it. But there it is. Anyway, I wouldn't mind it if the companions are kind of empty. I 'd actually prefer it with the writers they have.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
As mindblowingly boring and as bland as those NPcs turned into companions are - they will fit perfectly with the rest of the game.

If only the devs increase the color burn effect on them it will be perfect.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Are you ready for best-written RPG since Arcanum?

Xir oh xir, they sure do know how to split my sides! Such a fun, quirky, and intelligent sense of humor!
d9e1526591739936.jpg

But it's not all fun and games! Here's what happens when the writers get serious. If Outer Worlds has NPCs half this good, then RPGs -- no, the video game industry as a whole -- is salvaged for at least a full decade. I have chills.
Theouterworldsgettok.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

quite a few of the characters in the mass effect series(1-3) eventually leave you and go their own way
wrex, kasumi, grunt, thane†, jack, miranda, legion, zaeed, samara, mordin, jacob
liara and ashley/kaidan also part ways and eventually come back also

Most left between games though. I'm not sure that's the same thing at all... and also, I think it was mainly just because Bioware wanted to introduce kooky new characters and then have dramatic returns.

Zombra

Patron
I think it was mainly just because Bioware wanted to introduce kooky new characters and then have dramatic returns.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Having some companions leave to make "room" for others is better than amassing a huge stable who all sit around at the inn waiting for senpai to pay attention to them.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think it was mainly just because Bioware wanted to introduce kooky new characters and then have dramatic returns.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Having some companions leave to make "room" for others is better than amassing a huge stable who all sit around at the inn waiting for senpai to pay attention to them.
Again, it happened between games, not in game. I have zero issues with it in general, but my point was that the behavior rusty was describing in ME was not quite what you were talking about.

Terenty

Liturgist
Again where is my Magnus, Virgil, Gar, Raven ? Yeah there werent a lot of interactions between your companions in Arcanum, but what was there was quite memorable and fun and with superb voice acting to boot. I want whoever wrote them to write everything for TOW

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you ready for best-written RPG since Arcanum?

Xir oh xir, they sure do know how to split my sides! Such a fun, quirky, and intelligent sense of humor!
d9e1526591739936.jpg

But it's not all fun and games! Here's what happens when the writers get serious. If Outer Worlds has NPCs half this good, then RPGs -- no, the video game industry as a whole -- is salvaged for at least a full decade. I have chills.
Theouterworldsgettok.jpg
Narrative[ly challenged] designers are the norm at Obsidian. If you don't sound like a blithering idiot foaming at the mouth, they reject your resume and don't call you for an interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom