Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Dominions 5: Cataclysm Inbound

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I wanted to do a LP and also spread the knowledge about this TBS game around.
I won't go over every little detail, if you have questions, ask or read the manual. True to the title I will be using a few mods to spice up the game without changing the basic formula.
I'll be using Executors Legendary mod, specifically 4 components: Cataclysm, Warlords, Sites and Sellswords. The last 3 will add some stuff and make the independent forces much stronger, while the first spawns a "Oh-fuck" event chain every 12 turns.
Also I will use no indep recruits, which turns off native recruiting from provinces. It is more of an AI helper mod, since it forces to AI to use national troops instead of mostly garbage indeps.
I haven't played with the cataclysm mod alot, so this is half-blind as it goes, which means I could be very much dead once shit hits the fan.

So since we will be playing mostly vs the map and events let's choose a strong nation.
Fomoria: Mishmash of Avalon refugees and cursed Greek Giants.

The map will be Peliwyr and settings are mostly standard with conquering all win condition.

I could be using an awake expander, but that is always cheese vs the AI, as it has no idea how to counter such things. So the god of our glorious nation is:

WNnrzPW.png

I'll explain what most of this means later.

The rules for the game are:

rEz0aF1.png

This is the map. It is a toroid: S/N and E/W wrap.

6vUMPxO.png

At turn 1 I recruited some basic troops and one researcher. The cataclysm mod gives each nation a starting +400 gold and +100 resources. Resources will continue to be added at 100-25*turn# until 4th turn when the stache depletes (ingame term).

This is the situation at T2:

AGrBQPX.png

That's it for the start. Please tell me if you want more in-depth epxplanations, I might even listen.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I enjoyed the mod when we tried it and can endorse it if you feel like trying something a bit different :) I'm in too many games myself tho and will go insane if I join any more, so I'll have to pass :)

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Onwards in this half-drunken attempt of a LP.

This time I'll highlight the correct province - Fomoria's capital and only province at the moment. I also realized I forgot to buy a researcher at the start :oops:

w79PaUj.png

Of all the neighbouring provinces the one to the south is the easiest to take....

My troops - let's go over them really quick.
Here is the Fir Bolg Infantry and the Unmarked.

3Rdk081.png

4PJYYFF.png

Fir Bolg are pretty good human-sized troops. Their only weakness is low protection (protection is subtracted from damage rolls) and the lack of a helmet, which makes a hit to the head really painful (protection is tracked for body and helmet). Hits have a basic 10% chance to be a hit to the head.
Unmarked are solid giantlike troops with decent stats all around and are sacred (the candelabra icon signalizes this). Sacred untis can be blessed.

For our opposition:

JgyGff2.png

:o This is probably more than we can chew. Fortunately the wizards only raised skeletons, but in the end my army routes.

eUQR2e9.png

At least the wolves are dead and we can probably take the province without hassle in the next turn. Meanwhile our scout (one of the initial commanders) continues up north and find the farmland (high gold value) protected by a fortress :negative:

Turn 4:

Retry.

uNRiyBY.png

This time the troops reach the wizards and the archers and slaughter ensues. Also including slaughter of helpless virgins about to be used in blood rituals.

One new troop I will be using from now on:

hcUtxXy.png

These are really, really good human-sized murder machines. Elite stats, glamour, stealth and magic weaponry. They are somewhat expensive and can only be recruited in the capital, though.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Turn 5: The expansion party continues forward, hitting a hopefully weak target.

The province I captured contained the Arena. Nice!
1bxE2JZ.png

Recruiting more units.
WQrBKex.png

Onto the next turn.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Dominions is a beautiful series for people with good taste.
It still manages to piss me off to no end most of the time.

tindrli

Arcane
i agree. also i never learned to play it...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom