Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Spockrock

Augur
I played the demo, it was OK, for a demo. as far as I can tell the full game is just like that demo, only 4 times as long, meaning, you need 20 hours to cover everything it has to offer.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
It's obvious now, why they killed Anthem before release by releasing Apex Legends.

I think it's just fundamentally the wrong time to release any kind of multiplayer shooter without a BR mode. Even if Anthem had been a decent game, the big BRs would still have sucked all the air out of the room.

Untitled.png

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Grindy games have a ceiling on Twitch. Also pvp games are generally way more viewed, but that doesn't mean much, there is big market for diablo clones and not having br is not a factor.

Codex Year of the Donut
but I'd rank it above say, Dragon Age 2.
A take as hot as the artic snow.
The bar DA2 sets is not a very high one.
I don't disagree, but it's still a playable game. With the way people talk about Andromeda you'd expect a completely unfinished buggy game, but it was just an average one. It doesn't hold a candle to failures like SWTOR, FO76, etc.,
Andromeda wasn't particularly good at anything, it wasn't even a good flop. It was just meh.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone actually played this here? Just curious
Yes, I sadly had to spend 35 hours to review it and I can't see any reason to give it a score above 3/10. This game is simply flawed to it's core, no amount of bug fixes and patch can correct half of it's design mistakes, let alone fixing it entirely.

Copied from a comment I made on reddit, this is just icing on the cake btw
A lot of people seem to praise the gameplay here, after 36 hours, I honestly beg to differ.

This game has way too many bad designs that get into the way of gunplay, it's a shooter that emphasize mobility, yet mobility itself doesn't actually change your playstyle or give an edge to combat that makes it something you need to master, and the levels often tunnel you through tight corridors and caves/underground ruins that makes 3D traversing a real chore since you gonna bump your head everywhere. The most "mobility based" action I found during my playthrough is pressing ctrl to dodge enemy's incoming projectile and that's it, flying isn't for combat, there's no advanced technique that need to be mastered or require player's finesse, you find a crowd, you spam Q and E and hold down LMB at them and that's it, there's even no thought into using ability aside from setting up primer and activate detonator. It's all fluffs that hide its shallowness behind the visual galore that looks like a unicorn vomit into your screen.

If the gunplay is good, guns should feel good to shoot with right? But where are the good guns? Such fantasy scifi setting featuring highly advanced exosuits somehow still hold on to current time weaponry, there's not even an energy gun in sight. It's especially hilarious when my Storm who can literally throw fireball out of nowhere can also pull out a big ass filthy light machine gun held together by duct tape from his hip, because a wizard totally should wield such savage relic like that. Automatic guns do kick on the screen but character's animation doesn't reflect that, enemies get tiny little impact from bullet, braindead AI that can't be arse to react to your attack and respond properly. How can I enjoy gunplay when it doesn't engage me at all? It just boggles my mind how shamelessly dull moment to moment gameplay in this game is and I'm kinda suprised people actually find it interesting at all. At least in The Division, I'm always on the move, rotating cover, actually using utilities and skills properly and not spamming them like a braindead maniac.

And then there comes the end game. My Storm has 390 gear level and somehow the game turns completely into a cover shooter in Stronghold GM1 (day one patch corrected GM1's description, now it requires gear level above 400, not 300 lol). Sniper one shot me even with full shield, scar grunt one hit melee me, and the game suddenly punishes me for using mobility because flying around = death sentence due to all those hitscan shots. Completing the second Stronghold on GM1 is fucking tedious, the loot is shit, the boss has terrible attack paragraph and windup animation, and the way the game spawned enemies on your sides behind cover is just cheap as hell.

It's maddening how so many mistakes in basic game design make their way into a game developed by a studio on this caliber. It legit feels like a product from an amateur team that only had time to lay out basic concept and happened to receive a large funding to make a demo, somehow became a premium product.

Loostreaks

Learned
Unsurprisingly the best Anthem review comes from the best normie reviewer on Youtube.

He's clueless on rpgs ( Bioware invented them...Fucking LOL), but makes a good point on something almost no one mentioned:

Combat is a complete clusterfuck/incomprehensible mess. This is even worse on harder difficulties when one or two hits put you down.
- Enemies spawn out of thin air, sometimes later while their attacks are still being registered
- No real audio feedback, like in other games, you've no idea of enemy position based on sound/grunts/etc
- Player's own abilities cover entire screen, covering everything with explosions/particle effects
- Enemy melee attacks are also very poorly telegraphed

On top of this, you've got awful mission design, no real end game, poor loot ( for some idiot reason, you don't even know immediately what it is), poor enemy variety, braindead AI, and the same reused type of environment you're constantly fighting in.

This game will lose it's player base in a month.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
That skillup review is spot on.

The game is basically on par with a Koei Tecmo title, the enjoyment comes from mowing down braindead hordes of enemies with combos in a desperate attempt to tickle your lizard brain into an ejaculatory endorphin rush.

The best content in the game was in the demo, the spider boss.

Gerrard

Arcane
If you think Destiny has somehow more complex combat than this game (like shillup does) then I have some bad news for you.

ColCol

Arcane
Not liking what I'm hearing, but I'mma be honest. The mage class looks like it could be the most fun I 've had with a magic class recently (IN an Arpg).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Get woke go broke.
True, but doesn't apply to this game. I mean, the game has so many problems that its wokeness state is just irrelevant in comparison...
Compare it to Breach, for example. From what I gather, people like it a lot more and.. well, just look at the characters there. That game is wokeness incarnate, and still seems better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom