Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking ToEE, how does it work

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I actually might play this again at some point (most likely not straight away, got tons of other RPGs in the backlog). I think Fireball would've trivialized the place, without it tons of CC and careful positioning were needed and that made it quite fun. For the giant I managed to pull off two Hideous Laughter which kept him down for the entirety of the fight, the bear was more troublesome because it could do two or three attacks per round and had cleave.

I agree, better to get to the moathouse when you hit level 2, otherwise, there's no challenge.

It's funny how everyone seems to use different spells against the giant and the bear, last time, i used low level necro spells like doom, daze, possibly blind for the giant and charm animal against the bear (i had a druid).

Thorsson

Novice
I actually might play this again at some point (most likely not straight away, got tons of other RPGs in the backlog). I think Fireball would've trivialized the place, without it tons of CC and careful positioning were needed and that made it quite fun. For the giant I managed to pull off two Hideous Laughter which kept him down for the entirety of the fight, the bear was more troublesome because it could do two or three attacks per round and had cleave.

I agree, better to get to the moathouse when you hit level 2, otherwise, there's no challenge.

It's funny how everyone seems to use different spells against the giant and the bear, last time, i used low level necro spells like doom, daze, possibly blind for the giant and charm animal against the bear (i had a druid).
I also used Charm Animal on the Bear. It distracted the Giant for the best part of 3 rounds. I also used Grease on him.

The other thing I always do is sneak in and take the loot before the fight - there are several useful items that help in the fight.

Ladonna

Arcane
I just went to liluras website, and looked up the TOEE section. Under the title "The Dream" the writeup outlines exactly what I hoped would happen in reality....alas, it wasn't to be...Copy paste incoming:

In 2003, Troika release Temple of Elemental Evil to critical acclaim. A few mainstream news sites attempt to paint ToEE as "too difficult" or "too complex" for the public to consume, but quickly change their tune and rewrite their articles when Troika shifts a boatload of units. Polished almost to perfection, ToEE is built on the three pillars of design required for greatness in the D&D sub-genre; namely, isometric perspective, turn-based tactical combat and full party control. Along with that, Troika execute a near-perfect implementation of the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 ruleset, seamlessly integrating the SRD with hyperlinks embedded to stat panels and the combat log. Not only is ToEE mechanically supreme, but its beautifully-painted backdrops coupled with slick sprite animations cement it as the most aesthetically-pleasing isometric entry in the genre, blowing away the Infinity Engine entries and even Diablo II. Last but not least, its factional reactivity modifies the landscape within the Temple mega-dungeon itself, adding greatly to replayability.

Fans of traditional RPGs and Pen & Paper D&D flock to the social boards en masse, not to report show-stopping bugs, stability issues and broken mechanics, but rather to bestow praise upon Troika for what may well be the ushering-in of a new D&D era of computer role-playing games akin to the Goldbox of old. So many threads are entitled "Praise be to Troika" that it borders on religious worship. Everyone is looking forward to the future of cRPGs spear-headed by a dev that has proven itself; first with Arcanum, now with ToEE. Fans clamor for another adventure set in Greyhawk as Troika patch their game of the few bugs it shipped with. ToEE is refined to masterpiece-level: in its final state, it is a polished diamond. The money just keeps rolling in for Troika, who expand from 14 people to 40 as a result. Within the next couple of years, they have released several conversions of Greyhawk adventure modules along with an Aurora-like toolset (which employs 2D tilesets for easy area-creation for amateurs). Single-player veterans of the Infinity and Aurora engines drop Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights in a heartbeat; thus, RTwP and dumb companion AI are put to bed, never to be spoken of again. Moreover, over the next decade, an army of community members build dozens of award-winning amateur adventures for the full array of D&D campaign settings. In short, Troika far exceed the era of Goldbox. Then, Temple of Elemental Evil II is released employing Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules. There is no end of happiness in sight.

Sigh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom