Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Archaelund: RPG that combines 1st-person exploration with 3rd-person TB combat - now available on Early Access

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

ZRRFPuD.jpg

Archaelund is a roleplaying game with deep classic roots but also exciting innovations to bring you the ultimate adventure.

• Exploration as you remember it: you can play Archaelund your own way. Take your party of adventurers through a vast open world and explore as you wish, find awesome secrets and run into unexpected trouble, get involved in conflicts or just pursue your own goals and discover what lies beyond the horizon.
  • Unique dual perspective: just as the best classics did, you'll be able to explore the world of Archaelund in immersive first-person, wondering what lies behind each corner of the dungeon. When combat starts, the view seamlessly changes to top-down perspective, and you'll issue orders to your party, placing them over a battle grid to face your enemies in a deeply strategic turn-based combat.
  • Deep and engaging character progression: a career-based system will have your characters start out as street ruffians, squires, hunters or even beggars; later on you can move into new career, including advanced ones like Knight, Loreseeker, Assassin or Battlemage. A character might leave behind its humble origins, but those days might bring in unique talents to your advantage!
  • Deadly battles with a focus on strategy: a non-inflationist, bounded system will ensure that every battle matters, and every opponent is scary. When your characters advance in levels, you'll gain new tactical options to defeat your enemies, not just increased numbers.
  • An expansive world, handcrafted in detail: Archaelund is big enough to lose yourself in; yet everywhere you go you'll meet people to talk to, unique quests to complete, mysteries to solve and, of course, battles to fight and treasures to loot.

Development and Early Access
There will be an Early Access release scheduled for Fall 2020, which will already be packed with tons of fun. After that expect another few years to add all the planned content to the game. Dates are not set in stone, since priority here is quality, and estimates are always hard.

Background: the Fall and the Exile
The Andorian Empire united the whole human race under the same proud banner for millenia, until a magical cataclysm brought the Horrors from another world. The Empire and most of the human race was annihilated in just a few days; only a few hundred ships could escape to the savage island of Varannar, a distant imperial colony beyond the western ocean. The refugees endured the hardships and tried to rebuild their old civilization, but never again stood united under the Imperial banner.

The newly founded Exiled Kingdoms bore the scars of the Fall, each of them in a different way. Varsilia, the mightiest and noblest of the Kingdoms, became grotesquely obsessed over Imperial history and preserving its traditions. Ilmarans turned into fanatical zealots of a new faith, while in Thuram, the remnants of the Imperial Wizards established a magocracy that disregards all matters except the arcane, and quickly declined into endogamy. On the west, the Kingdom of Mercia had emerged from the surviving Imperial Legions, establishing a nightmarish rule based on slavery and arbitrary discipline.

The four Kingdoms held irreconcilable views and ambitions, and locked together in a small and hostile land as they were, they often plotted against each other or even clashed openly in the battlefield. It seemed as if a perpetual cycle of war, famine and misery would become mankind's unavoidable fate.

Archaelund, mankind's new frontier
The future of the Kingdoms, however, brightened up generations later when a sea route to the old continent of Andoria was discovered, and it was proved that the Horrors were no more. Most of the old continent appeared to be an uninhabitable wasteland, but finally a vast and fertile coastal region was found: Archaelund.

For the first time in a long time humanity left aside the old grudges and obsessions and looked up to the future. Expeditions were arranged, and thousands of colonists, soldiers, adventurers and rogues embarked to Archaelund. The promises of land, riches and Imperial relics excited the imagination and ambition of thousands, from mere farmers to noble second-sons.

The re-colonization of Archaelund went on but the Exiles had to face many obstacles they had not foreseen. The Horrors may be no more, but they left behind a scarred world where eldritch energies and warped monsters roam the lands, and imperial ruins are often an unpredictable arcane hazard. Conflict between the Kingdoms is still very alive, and to make things worse, a subterranean race called the Geldryn (once slaves to the Andorian Empire) now aspires to inherit the surface world, and raise against the Exiles with increasing might.

Despite all the dangers, Archaelund is still a land of adventure and opportunity. Just like many others before, your party of adventurers has finally saved up enough money to embark and sail East. The Silver Star has crossed the Andor Sea for two weeks, when you catch the first glimpse of the ancient land of your ancestors, unimpressed by its mundane visage. Little you suspect that, very soon, you're going to get involved in a plot that traces back to the terror of the final days of the Empire, and now threatens to destroy the remnants of civilization...

Last edited by a moderator:
Intriguing. The GIF makes it look fluid and enjoyable. I really enjoyed Betrayal at Krondor doing things both ways. My immediate curiousity, is about how combat is engaged. Will detection/engagement radius be variable? Will there be ques to the player about proximity or threat of engagement?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
That skill sheet looks suspiciously similar to the Realms of Arkania system. I like what I see so far! And I'm looking forward to seeing more.

And I especially hope Minotaurs and Frog Men like the ones in the top picture are playable characters.

looks good, would buy.

edit: never heard of exiled kingdoms, but liked what you have shown with this new game enough that I just bought exiled kingdoms which actually looks pretty nice too...

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
I like the art. Did you draw it, DavidBVal?
Btw, are you making the whole game alone or there will be artist or something like that helping you? What engine are you using?
Going by that GIF, should I expect puzzles like Dungeon Master?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16645&start=70#p53930

Archaelund is a party-based game, and the focus is on PC so the system offers a lot more variety, so things are quite different than with EK.

There are around 60 Careers in the game. Each character is meant to start on a very basic career (which can be a Beggar, a Bodyguard, an Apprentice Wizard or a Thug, for instance). In fact, if you want to, the starting Career can be chosen randomly and you'll be able to get a few extra trait points. This means your starting career is the "background" of your character.

Soon, characters plan a switch to the Advanced Careers, which are more "heroic" occupations like Cavalier, Loreseeker, Captain, Marksman, etc. These have requisites you need to meet, both in the form of skills and traits minimums, and also story requirements; for instance, to unlock the Captain Career you'll need to command soldiers in battle. There's also a few Elite careers, which are the most powerful ones, but they are unlocked by joining specific factions or receiving story-related special training.

The system allows you to play hybrid characters, but you better know what you're doing because specialization is rewarded. However if you're capable of planning your career changes well, you can gain advantages in the endgame, of course. Having your melee characters being able to cast decent spells, or your mages having some complementary skills, can mean a big difference in the "sewers-of-horrors-like" areas that will be waiting for you.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Not bad, particularly the intricate character sheet~

You can't imagine how hard it was to fit everything in there without looking chaotic or too complex... it has been harder than coding so far. But in the end I could even fit the skill rank slots .

The empty lower area offers contextual help whenever you hover over an item. For instance, on a skill it will explain you the mechanics, etc.

Intriguing. The GIF makes it look fluid and enjoyable. I really enjoyed Betrayal at Krondor doing things both ways. My immediate curiousity, is about how combat is engaged. Will detection/engagement radius be variable? Will there be ques to the player about proximity or threat of engagement?

It's actually more fluid than the GIF shows, but I don't want to make hi-res videos just yet with all those placeholder 3D models. Yes, enemy detection will vary depending on the creature and you'll be able to react and try to get out of range (or initiate combat yourself, with a small initiative bonus)

That skill sheet looks suspiciously similar to the Realms of Arkania system. I like what I see so far! And I'm looking forward to seeing more.

And I especially hope Minotaurs and Frog Men like the ones in the top picture are playable characters.

I haven't played RoA yet! My big inspiration are PnP systems like Rolemaster, WFRP 1st edition, and others. And as cRPGs go, obviously Gold Box and ToEE regarding concept and combat, and Morrowind regarding world design. But there's a small bit of all my favorite games like MMs and Wizardries in there, of course.

Yes, Minos and Batrax are playable races. There's also a goblin archer up there, and the woman on top of the broken pillar is a Varannari explorer.

I like the art. Did you draw it, DavidBVal?
Btw, are you making the whole game alone or there will be artist or something like that helping you?

I do everything except the art. Well, I coordinate and integrate the art, which is almost a job in itself if you ask me. My main 2D artist is Ignacio Corva, he made the banner scene (it's even more awesome in high-res, believe me!) and the player portraits.

nLX5Ry0.png

Going by that GIF, should I expect puzzles like Dungeon Master?

Yes, puzzles will be important, and one of the reasons of the 1st person perspective.

That skillsheet makes me moist :bounce:

It excites even me, and I made it!

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks cool! And the transition to the combat isometric view is indeed seamless! I like that the enemies actually stay where they were in 1st person and not magically reposition themselves

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DavidBVal

I found your previous game to be a remarkable little thing despite its humble origins, with a lot going for it. Terse but playful writing that never verges on edgy territory, a surprinsingly broad and enjoyable world, and what's more a basic hack and slash gameplay that, rather than trying to pass for more than it actually is, intelligently decides to deal with what is its true core : attrition, which is arguably very simple gameplay-wise but that's here calibrated to near-perfection, keeping things tense all the way, dungeon raids being a prime example. I also like the non overpowered high-end abilities and the freedom/need to respec in order to optimize/try out builds, which keeps things fresh in the late game and makes you avoid a near universal pitfall in RPGs.

In conclusion i sure hope Exiled Kingdoms' qualities were not the mere product of the project's limitations, and that you'll be able to carve the same cleverly humble trail in this project...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom