Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPGs that edgelords like to bash? (Poll)

What cRPG edgelords like to bash the most?

• Fallout 1

• Fallout 2

• Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

• Planescape: Torment

• The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

• The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

• The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

• Wizardry 8

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Pillars of Eternity 1

• Pillars of Eternity 2

• The Witcher 3

• Fallout 3

• Fallout: New Vegas

• Wasteland 2

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

• Vampire: The Masquerade

• Dragon Age: Origins

• Darkest Dungeon

• Dark Souls

• Undertale

• As an edgelord myself I find this thread offensive.

• Baldur's Gate 1

• Gothic 1

• Gothic 2

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall

• Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Definition:

internet said:
Edgelord (noun, plural edgelords) (informal, derogatory, Internet slang) Someone who attempts to seem edgy by doing or saying risque or offensive things.

The term "edgelord" is a noun, which came from the previous adjective, "edgy," which described the above behaviour.

Over the years many cRPGs have reached almost universal acclaim as classics and excellent representatives of the genre. However no game has never been able to avoid harsh criticism. Some of the criticism is well-founded and justified. However there are also some individuals who like to nitpick cRPG classics just to appear unique, controversial, edgy or rad - hence the term, edgelord.

So which classic or generally liked cRPGs attract the most cringeworthy comments from edgelords?

Here are some examples to get the conversation started:

Fallout
& Fallout 2.

Almost universally recognized for their profound influence to the genre. Especially praised for the quality of their world building, writing and C&C. Edgelords usually complain about their outdated graphics, bugs, balance issues and many other apparently unforgivable crimes against humanity.

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Very highly regarded game, generally considered a classic of the genre. Is mainly criticized due to it being RTwP instead of turn-based, but edgelords find also many other flaws in this gem of a game. In other words, if the game is not completely perfect in every way imaginable, it has to be utter shit. Classic retadred edgelord material.

Planescape: Torment

Generally considered to be one of the best stories ever told in a videogame format. Highly praised for its companion and quest design, world building and C&C. The most common criticism aimed at the game is that it places too heavy emphasis on its story and quests while neglecting combat mechanics and character development. These are fair criticisms, but edgelords take these criticisms to the extreme while utterly disregarding the games obvious strengths.

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

Generally considered to be one of the best, if not THE best, Elder Scrolls game. Praised for its world building, environment design, character development, quest design etc. Edgelords like to compare it unfavorably to its predecessor Daggerfall - again completely disregarding Morrowinds obvious strengths and downplaying Daggerfalls obvious shortcomings.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

It's time for a confession: I sometimes like to be an edgelord myself. Mostly this happens when I'm complaining about Oblivion. Granted, it was in some ways a dumbed down version of the franchises previous titles. But if I'm being completely honest, the game has many redeeming qualities: some really nice quests and dungeon designs, for starters. There are many excellent mods that turn Oblivion into a great cRPG. So the game isn't complete horse Scheiße the way edgelords like myself sometimes make it up to be.

So now its your turn! What cRPG makes your inner edgelord raise its dirty head? What game gets far too much attention from edgelords in your opinion?

Are there games that are absolutely edgelord repellent? Maybe Deus Ex? Or Ultima VII?

You can also mention games that is not cRPG, if you can think of a particularly good examples.

I will add more options to the poll as they're mentioned on the thread.

Max 3 choices allowed.

Discuss!

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

It's time for a confession: I sometimes like to be an edgelord myself. Mostly this happens when I'm complaining about Oblivion. Granted, it was in some ways a dumbed down version of the franchises previous titles. But if I'm being completely honest, the game has many redeeming qualities: some really nice quests and dungeon designs, for starters.
Words completely fail me.

There are many excellent mods that turn Oblivion into a great cRPG. So the game isn't complete horse Scheiße the way edgelords like myself sometimes make it up to be.
This mod?
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/23359-dmra-anal-gape/

Deleted member 7219

Pillars 1 and 2 obviously.

Supporting Fallout 1 and 2 won't make you any enemies here. Same with Gothic 1 and 2.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Torment, Morrowind, New Vegas and Planescape Torment have a lot of fans. You won't be ripped apart by edgelords if you say you like them.

But read the Pillars threads, news coverage and reviews and it is like Obsidian committed a crime akin to Fallout 4. A hysterical reaction to two games pretty much made for the Codex, albeit with a boring RTWP system when it could have been better with TB.

grom

Educated
Voted for Fallout 2. Everything else on the list is either not bashed very much (or at all) or bashed with good reason. Fallout 2 OTOH seems to cop a lot of hate for the pop culture jokes, which frankly aren't anywhere near as obnoxious as some would have you believe.

user

Savant
PS:T clearly. Because it is so widely acclaimed, edgelords confuse this with it being mainstream, their hipster alarms go off and instictively attack it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
it's bg1 vs bg2 at thursdays and pst has shit writing (bonus if 2 threads and includes comparing Planescape to MTV shows and a local shitposter tag owner) on fridays and saturdays

pick your poison.

I usually go off to anime thread.

hide.jpg

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
every game from the list could be sucessfully criticized or bashed depending on our current stage of life when our tastes and aspiration changes.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout. Fallout: New Vegas.

Almost unanimously by Bethesda fans. The first because it's "old, ugly, clunky, so glad Bethesda saved the IP". The latter because it bothers them some people think it's much better than Bethesda's games. Also some contrarians think it's cool to criticize one of the best RPGs ever made.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Edgelords usually complain about their outdated graphics, bugs, balance issues and many other apparently unforgivable crimes against humanity.
Shit combat.
Generally considered to be one of the best stories ever told in a videogame format. Highly praised for its companion and quest design, world building and C&C. The most common criticism aimed at the game is that it places too heavy emphasis on its story and quests while neglecting combat mechanics and character development. These are fair criticisms, but edgelords take these criticisms to the extreme while utterly disregarding the games obvious strengths.
Shit combat
Generally considered to be one of the best, if not THE best, Elder Scrolls game. Praised for its world building, environment design, character development, quest design etc. Edgelords like to compare it unfavorably to its predecessor Daggerfall - again completely disregarding Morrowinds obvious strengths and downplaying Daggerfalls obvious shortcomings.
Shit combat

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As a edge lord i find this thread entertaining!
:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Also the people that bash this games are low level popamole retards that have no rpg experience outside of poe and biowaste faggot sims,pox on them!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom