Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New indie RPG

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
No idea why mate, Im not the person that made the models, I just got them off the unity website, they're made by multiple people, AFAIKS each has a different skeleton

Darth Canoli

Arcane
> Consistent rules
> Environmental effects
> Extensive spells and abilities
> Good encounter/level design

This but please, no environmental/weather effects (or a checkbox to disable them), it doesn't bring anything, if people want to stare at a storm, they just have to get out of their basement.

I hope the rules will be consistent, there is an element of chance with things though. Environmental FX, like rain, snow?
Yeah I'm wanting to have a lot of spells, I'm not quite sure of how to gain new spell abilities though, either leveling up or my finding a new scroll and learning it, not sure what ppl prefer
Can't promise anything about the level design, its just me and I already work a fulltime 48 hour week job, so don't have a lot of time to work on this, plus I record music also in my spare time.

The base tactical TB view is a very good, it's a promising start.

Did you play some cRPG ?
  • Temple of Elemental Evil (with Temple+ mod/fix)
  • Fallout 1 : the tactical aspect is limited but sound effects, fast pace and brutal death makes this game's combats really fun (good sound effects is probably the key here)
  • Realms Beyond : something to follow to get some inspiration
  • Low Magic age : For the character creation / character development
  • Wizardry 8 : just create a party (or add fastanim mod to play a bit)
With these, you could easily get some nice inspiration.

Of course, if you don't use D&D and come by an original or your own system (and if it's good) it's a plus.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
This but please, no environmental/weather effects (or a checkbox to disable them), it doesn't bring anything, if people want to stare at a storm, they just have to get out of their basement.
I think that it can add something depending on the atmosphere you’re trying to depict. I do agree with you most of the time though.

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Did you play some cRPG ?
  • Temple of Elemental Evil (with Temple+ mod/fix)
  • Fallout 1 : the tactical aspect is limited but sound effects, fast pace and brutal death makes this game's combats really fun (good sound effects is probably the key here)
  • Realms Beyond : something to follow to get some inspiration
  • Low Magic age : For the character creation / character development
  • Wizardry 8 : just create a party (or add fastanim mod to play a bit)
With these, you could easily get some nice inspiration.

Of course, if you don't use D&D and come by an original or your own system (and if it's good) it's a plus.
Sorry for the late reply I've moved (from NZ to barcelona so have been a bit busy and didnt really have access to a PC until quite recent but I'm all ready now to continue with the game)
Thanks for the links to the games, I'm very naive when it comes to games (I dont really play since I was a kid), The first 3 you list do look good, I prolly can borrow some inspiration/ideas from them.
Yeah the battle system is not D&D but does have similar aspects

I should have a progress update to the game sometime next week

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
can't edit my last post??!!
So will start a new one, otherwise it looks like I didnt writre anything in the last one

Sorry for the late reply I've moved (from NZ to barcelona so have been a bit busy and didnt really have access to a PC until quite recent but I'm all ready now to continue with the game)
Thanks for the links to the games, I'm very naive when it comes to games (I dont really play since I was a kid), The first 3 you list do look good, I prolly can borrow some inspiration/ideas from them.
Yeah the battle system is not D&D but does have similar aspects

I should have a progress update to the game sometime next week

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
OK, some ideas:

* Have single use save-points and a limit-1 save-anytime item given out at save-points. This gives the ballance of conveniently saving anywhere while cutting down on save-scumming.

* Performing a stat check then leads into an unskippable save. At one's current level, they really can't pick that lock or maybe in this iteration of the game the mountainside is un-scaleable (perhaps the difficulty check is also randomized at game's beginning).

* All menus frame the screen. You never have to open more menus. All items can be moved around and used by drag and drop. Rather than a paper doll menu display, clicking on a party member or lootable body zooms in slightly and tool-tips the names of items on the objects/characters.

* One of the framing menus is an old-school key-press command reference box. Click on the key and press a key to reassign. Click on the command name to perform the action/drag and drop to target.

* Check out TV Tropes for ideas on adapting unconventional combat tactics that games haven't done before. I love 'Reality Ensues', 'Boring, but Practical', 'Combat Pragmatist', and 'Lethal Harmless Powers' (a favorite).

More ideas later. Geeky criticism welcome ;-)

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Ta Giauz. Yeah I'm thinking about limiting the number of saves, as I think in this game they will detract from the gameplay somewhat.
The menu's sort of frame the screen now, Im also not a fan of having to open and close menu's often like a few RPG games have. Yes I'll look into allowing the player to assign key commands for various actions.

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
OK guys its been a while since my last video, heres current progress, I now have someone helping me with the creation of the levels

As always any ideas, criticisms you can share will be appreciated

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
mercenaries.jpg

I've added the ability to hire mercenaries

Ibbz

Augur
Can you minimise the UI on the left via a button? you have reasonably attractive graphics, but the UI looks out of place and disjointed. (I'm a UI minimalist though, so other people may prefer something else)

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Click on the down arrows to make the UI smaller, there are 3 states at the moment
UI.jpg

WRT UI which similar games do you think have good UIs?
Ta zed

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
OK the game is now at a stage that it can be alphatested
If anyone is willing to do this send me a PM
I would appreciate any help/input (and you'll get a mention in the credits etc of course)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom