Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My indian wife and 3 concubines brought me 12 daughters and 1 chinese boy which I am not sure was bastard or not, he spent most time in the dungeon due to kingdom of my liege having 20000 peasant revolts in 8th century for hundred years but he befriended a pet rat there so good enough.

I think some of my sisters? aunts? I am not sure?? now also rebel and fight my liege from all directions with their husbands for love to their lonely chinese brother.

also I sent my chinese mother to china Emperor as concubine for points since she was the only one Emperor liked.

Light cav is indeed bloody op it just roflstomps everything.
Just began game Catholics at 0 authority nice changes to crusades will play again
I for one approve of CK2's current state as monotheist genocide simulator. EDIT: It's actually quite shocking how much stronger Tribals are after HF. West Africans especially seem to be muslim-destroying deathmachines. It seems the only thing AI Catholics can do to survive is to bet on Karling consolidation-through-dynasty-attrition.

But yea, pure Light Cavalry or pure Heavy Infantry are the new meta I understand.

They should do orthodox focused DLC. Every time i get interested by the focus of the DLC and then it is a low effort shit that adds nothing of value.

I would like to see Paradox work more on Orthodoxy as well. Right now its the worst christian religion except for feature-less heresies like Lollard or Waldensian. The only advantage it has on catholicism, is that Bishops always pay tax. THAT'S IT.

A lot can be done with Religious Mechanics, like Religious Laws*, Councils, Schisms, Dynamic Heresies, religions having less or more than one Holy Site, Holy Sites with different values, etc.

Btw, Dynamic Heresies would be a cool way to nerf the obligatory Paganwank Empires - reformed your religion? Time to fight heresy!

*a good example is how concunbine was prohibited by the Jews during the CKII timeframe.

Someone in Reddit made a pretty curious challenge:

Achieve anything at all, while remaining independent, with this guy in the 1337 start

zaq5vau8u4h21.jpg

That's roight - you have to remain independent. So no cheesy vassal-swearing and then tearing Nogdorod down from the inside or something. 1337 start too.

Rules said to accomplish something. Something was accomplished.

slE8z2k.jpg

Unfortunately the plague immediately hit. Everything has 1k supply limit and nothing has loot to raid.

EDIT: Found a random muslim woman in a pagan court, asked to take her as a concubine->convert to islam-> succession problems fixed and I married my daughter to the Mongol Emperor. Think that counts as surviving, don't feel like playing 100 years waiting around.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
he's beautifur

jackiehun.jpg

images

2 good peoples

blobbasid destroyer

pots.jpg

cathar queen of europ

queenofkatar.jpg

I am disappointed at how easy it is to make bloodlines. Crafting? Really??

I also feel like combat became even more random, I dungetit. Ok commanders, double army size, better army quality, top tech in the world, can lose in plains to muslims like 10k vs 5k in a 7 to 4 fashion or something like that. Pretty sure hindus don't have penalty to morale that's Jains?? just don't get it :M

Meanwhile, khazars already captured half of sweden :M

Last edited:

panda

Savant
I also feel like combat became even more random, I dungetit. Ok commanders, double army size, better army quality, top tech in the world, can lose in plains to muslims like 10k vs 5k in a 7 to 4 fashion or something like that.
I started to play again after 3 years of hiatus and i fell like every fucking button you press and every fucking action you do has a one-armed bandit masked behind them.

I also feel like combat became even more random, I dungetit. Ok commanders, double army size, better army quality, top tech in the world, can lose in plains to muslims like 10k vs 5k in a 7 to 4 fashion or something like that. Pretty sure hindus don't have penalty to morale that's Jains?? just don't get it

Unit composition. Also, commander traits, Also, where are you putting commanders? Some of them have traits that make them better in flanks, or leading in the center. The commander's culture, too. Even normal traits make a difference in what tactics are adopted. Combat mechanics are kinda obscure.

If you make retinues, I suggest researching which tactics your culture has, and building a retinue around it. For example, when I played Italian, my retinue was built around pikemen, because Italian commanders get unique heavy infantry tactics. Allows one to kill a bunch of shit. French seem to favour Heavy Cavalry retinues, for example.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Unit composition. Also, commander traits, Also, where are you putting commanders
As if I did not play this since 2013 and did not try to calculate % chance of tactic activating on a calc etc :M

I do not use retinues for now. I don't see the point. Having thousands of gold is better.

And honestly all these 1% archers to 99% whatever and italian commanders leading vikings taktikos are bullshito.

I started to play again after 3 years of hiatus and i fell like every fucking button you press and every fucking action you do has a one-armed bandit masked behind them.
Exactly this :shittydog:

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

I've come to the conclusion that you should never have Secret Religious Cults or Children of Destiny turned on unless you absolutely want things to go completely fucking nuts.

I also feel like combat became even more random, I dungetit. Ok commanders, double army size, better army quality, top tech in the world, can lose in plains to muslims like 10k vs 5k in a 7 to 4 fashion or something like that. Pretty sure hindus don't have penalty to morale that's Jains?? just don't get it

Unit composition. Also, commander traits, Also, where are you putting commanders? Some of them have traits that make them better in flanks, or leading in the center. The commander's culture, too. Even normal traits make a difference in what tactics are adopted. Combat mechanics are kinda obscure.

If you make retinues, I suggest researching which tactics your culture has, and building a retinue around it. For example, when I played Italian, my retinue was built around pikemen, because Italian commanders get unique heavy infantry tactics. Allows one to kill a bunch of shit. French seem to favour Heavy Cavalry retinues, for example.
Or alternatively, you have a high skill commander with Trickster, which makes the commander WORSE than they'd be with no traits.

oscar

Arcane
Trickster fucking sucks. It should be a big boost but with randomness as a downside. Instead it's almost guaranteed to fuck you. No idea why it has never been fixed.

Vaarna_Aarne

Honestly, it's probably better to just mod Trickster to do something else, because Experimentality is fuuuuucked.

panda

Savant
So, i started new fantasy mode game as nomad in India.
Conquered half of it for holy sites.
Reformed religion to feminazism for bloodlines.
Got Open Enatic law and desired heir.
Suddenly after first succession: law got back to nomadic :argh:
Does anyone know why the fuck that could happen?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone know from where you could download "Geheimnisnacht" and what is the latest version of the game? No fucking paradox forums tho.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Does anyone know from where you could download "Geheimnisnacht" and what is the latest version of the game?

Seems current patch is 1.2, they updated duel mechanics (thankfully) and some other stuff but the last version I played had so many problems and I don't see them being fixed in the 1.2 patchnotes..
Protip: avoid playing elves and dwarves if you can, it seems the modders couldn't figure out/didn't bother/hasn't come around to fixing races with lifespans longer then that of humans, so you get wrecked by disease and old age events, after a few years Ulthuan is a big nursing home with how many demented, senile and incapable elves there are.

Anyways downlink is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/278hanhp2vv8ohu/geheimnisnacht+1.2.0.zip

Vaarna_Aarne

The duel mechanics update was actually a total disaster (since it's basically totally random, you'll see lowborn Craven, Frail, Imbecile goblins killing the Fae Enchantress or the Everchosen at alarming frequency), the fan hotfixes revert it back to the old system where it at least made sense even if it was 100% predictable.

EDIT: Also GNacht due to its mechanics and timescale really makes the most sense to play as a genuinely immortal ruler you play as from beginning to end, ie a vampire or an orc (IMO these are the two best experiences). Some factions are basically unplayable, ie Wood Elves are unimaginably, immensily boring since you can't really do anything at all and you have constant minor annoyances which is basically all you do.

Also healing potions can cure cancer, infirm, and all that, so your von Carstein vampire can also run the healthcare system for your dwarf tributaries.

EDIT2: Though it's not really that they get more of those events, dwarfs and elves are actually more resistant to them IIRC (looking under the hood), it's just that when you live at minimum 7 times longer than average human character you also have a lot more time to get those illnesses (then again, cancer only makes a dwarf die at 230 rather than 250) and all sorts of injuries.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Hum I don't know if it's because of the version I played (doubtful as updates to the game were slow due to dev troubles from what I understand) or if I was just plain unlucky but that simply doesn't match up with my experience.

Elves and dwarves getting wrecked with disease had nothing to do with time scale, this would all happen within the first few years. It got so bad my friend tried her hand at looking through the code to make elves immune to disease because whilst we could use console commands to rid our characters of diseases it wasn't practical to do it for every single elf in ulthuan.
No one was immune, whether it be Malekith or Tyrion, every elf whose lifespan was above that of a human was afflicted. So I'm not sure how this reconciles with what you say, and I certainly don't doubt you when you say you looked at the code so...wtf? But yeah that's how I got to the conclusion longer lived races were treated as ancient humans the game did its best to kill. And this was consistent across multiple runs until me and my friend just decided to give up on elves all together.

The end result was the best time I had with the mod was actually just playing humans, greenskins or vampires.

As for duelling, just aw. The duelling update for ck2 made things less random so hearing that it got fudged in the warhammer mod is lame.

sser

Arcane
Developer

A lot of this. If you're missing even 1 commander out of the three it can get you obliterated, particularly if the opponent has an excellent commander in that column. He'll just destroy the flank and then roll up the rest of the army pretty quick.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Just mod them yourself. You need to edit file "rip_symptom_events.txt" on a notepad (I use Notepad++).

For example, below is the disease check for symptom "cough" and the likelihood of this symptom leading to cancer increases with old age.
Change the normal human old age/lifespan (old at 50, very old at 70) to whatever fantasy race you adapting. dwarves usually live 400 years and elves 800-1000 in most fantasy settings, so you can make old age for dwarves 350/375 and elves 700/900 or whatever is appropriate to the setting.

#Disease is set when first symptom is gained
character_event = { #Cough can lead to pneumonia tuberculosis measles flu cancer
id = RIP.5000
desc = EVTDESCRIP.5000
picture = GFX_evt_illness
border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion

hide_from = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
name = ALAS
add_trait = cough

hidden_tooltip = {
if = {
limit = { is_playable = no }
host = {
random_courtier_or_vassal = { #Markus doing
limit = {
liege = { character = PREVPREV }
has_minor_title = title_court_physician
}
character_event = { id = RIP.11031 days = 1 }
}
}
}
if = {
limit = { is_playable = yes }
random_courtier_or_vassal = { #Markus doing
limit = {
has_minor_title = title_court_physician
}
character_event = { id = RIP.11031 days = 1 }
}
}
random_list = {
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
OR = {
AND = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = got_pneumonia }
has_character_flag = developing_illness
}
has_character_flag = disease_not_serious
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
age = 6
NOT = { age = 50 }
}

modifier = {
factor = 0.5
health = 4.75
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = got_pneumonia
set_character_flag = developing_illness
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = got_pneumonia
}
character_event = { id = RIP.5011 days = 14 random = 14 }
}
}
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
OR = {
AND = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = got_tuberculosis }
}
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.025 #rare when not an epidemic
}
modifier = {
factor = 0
has_character_flag = immune_tuberculosis
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = got_tuberculosis
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = got_tuberculosis
}
character_event = { id = RIP.5015 days = 14 random = 14 }
}
}
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
OR = {
AND = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = got_measles }
}
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.01 #rare when not an epidemic
}
modifier = {
factor = 0
has_character_flag = immune_measles
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = got_measles
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = got_measles
}
character_event = { id = RIP.5018 days = 14 random = 14 }
}
}
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
OR = {
AND = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = got_flu }
}
}
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = got_flu
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = got_flu
}
character_event = { id = RIP.5020 days = 14 random = 14 }
}
}
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
OR = {
AND = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = got_cancer }
}
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.05
NOT = { age = 16 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.1
NOT = { age = 50 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 2
age = 50
}
modifier = {
factor = 3
age = 70
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = got_cancer
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = got_cancer
}
character_event = { id = RIP.5025 days = 14 random = 14 }
}
}
100 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
}

if = {
limit = {
NOR = {
}
}
set_character_flag = disease_not_serious
random_list = {
100 = {
character_event = { id = RIP.11002 days = 10 random = 30 }
}
100 = {
character_event = { id = RIP.11002 days = 90 random = 30 }
}
100 = {
character_event = { id = RIP.11002 days = 700 random = 100 }
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}

Note to myself: increase the likelyhood of "cough" leading to pneumonia for old/very old characters.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Like a buzzfeed journalist, I cannot into coding which is why I normally rely on a woman to do that stuff for me.
But those instructions are easy enough even I can follow them.

Cheers for that!

Edit: talking to my friend, seem the problem was the characters all getting infirm and crippled. I assume this is still within the rip_symptom_events.txt?

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Like a buzzfeed journalist, I cannot into coding which is why I normally rely on a woman to do that stuff for me.
But those instructions are easy enough even I can follow them.

LЄДЯЍ ГФ ҪФDԐ...

I'm not a programmer and have little experience with it, but I think coding basics is just logic and perseverance, don't be scared. It is hard work to do it right, you need to time to test your changes properly, and I mostly used that to lightly mod strategy games. Here's a good explanation for modding CK2 that I recommend reading for any player wanting to take their experience beyond scratching the surface. Have fun!

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Modding

talking to my friend, seem the problem was the characters all getting infirm and crippled. I assume this is still within the rip_symptom_events.txt?

I think by crippled you mean incapable? Those two, infirm and incapable can come from various sources like other events, but there is a general file governing it for old age called "health_events.txt". When you get infirm from old age, incapable is right around the corner.

#Infirm
character_event = {
id = 6100
desc = EVTDESC6100
picture = GFX_evt_illness

min_age = 45
only_capable = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
NOT = { trait = infirm }
immortal = no
}

weight_multiplier = {
days = 1

modifier = {
factor = 1.25
age = 60
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.4
age = 70
}
modifier = {
factor = 2
age = 80
}
modifier = {
factor = 2
age = 90
}

modifier = {
factor = 2
trait = cancer
}
modifier = {
factor = 2
is_weak_trigger = yes
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.3
NOT = { base_health = 5.0 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.3
NOT = { base_health = 4.0 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
base_health = 5.1
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
base_health = 6.0
}
}

option = {
name = EVTOPTA6100
add_trait = infirm
}
}

#Incapable
character_event = {
id = 6110
desc = EVTDESC6110
picture = GFX_evt_recovery

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
OR = {
trait = infirm
trait = inbred
}
NOT = { trait = incapable }
immortal = no
}

weight_multiplier = {
days = 1

modifier = {
factor = 2
NOT = { health = 3.0 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 2
NOT = { base_health = 5.0 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
NOT = { trait = infirm }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
base_health = 5.1
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
base_health = 6.0
}
}

option = {
name = EVTOPTA6110
add_trait = incapable
remove_trait = infirm
}
}

This is checked at the turn of any given year for all characters:

health = {
delay = 15
25000 = 0

15 = 6000 # Syphilitic
12 = 6001 # Remove Syphilitic
12 = 6010 # Leper
12 = 6011 # Remove Leper
6 = 6020 # Lunatic
25 = 6021 # Remove Lunatic
20 = 6030 # Possessed
20 = 6031 # Remove Possessed
150 = 6040 # Stressed
250 = 6041 # Remove Stressed
25 = 6050 # Depressed
250 = 6051 # Remove Depressed
833 = 6063 # Meta ill
30 = 6080 # Wounded
1250 = 6082 # Illness from wound
250 = 6100 # Infirm
2500 = 6110 # Incapable

}

Vaarna_Aarne

It's sort of amusing how the Kwisatz Haderach breeding program is now about genetics and memetics, and one of the chief advantages of being pagan is superior meme magic for improving your dynasty.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I am all over this game now. It runs a lot better than the last I played it and all the cheap DLC crammed together make for a more coherent experience.

My favorite 'starts': 867 Wessex, 1066 as Erik the Heathen beneath the Swedish king, and the 867 start where you can found the Kingdom of Leon in Spain.

Wessex is probably the most fun I've had in the game, and trying to bring back the Old Gods as Erik is great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom