Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
20190224204736_1.jpg

20190224204801_1.jpg

20190224204925_1.jpg

20190224205018_1.jpg

20190224205035_1.jpg

20190224205115_1.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nintendo emulators run much better than PS emulators. After all the Switch already has a near stable emulator.
Since GX is for the GameCube you'll have to use Dolphin. IMO, GX is still better and harder than the newer Wipeouts.

And the OST is definitively better:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Beg to differ. Too slow and not as intense.

EDIT:
In fact looking at direct comparisons, this seems exactly Wipeout's problem.

The cars aren't near as fast, there isn't as many racers, and the tracks aren't as difficult to navigate.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

EDIT:

The cars aren't near as fast, there isn't as many racers, and the tracks aren't as difficult to navigate.

Warpig was only referencing the soundtrack, not the games themselves. The earliest Wipeout titles (at least) have a kick-ass soundtrack that transcended the gaming scene back in the day.

But since we're talking about the games, the video you linked to is comparing a 2003 Gamecube title with a 2007 Playstation Portable title. It's a given that a game on a handheld console will not perform as well as on a dedicated console.

I'm not saying Wipeout has the better, faster racing games. Just that the comparison you listed isn't fair and balanced.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Warpig was only referencing the soundtrack, not the games themselves.

I know. And the first line of my post was directed at the OST. The EDIT, was the one direct at the games themselves.

the video you linked to is comparing a 2003 Gamecube title with a 2007 Playstation Portable title. It's a given that a game on a handheld console will not perform as well as on a dedicated console ... the comparison you listed isn't fair and balanced.

Alright fair enough.

Here's a comparison between F-Zero GX (GameCube) and WipEout HD (PS3).

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I don't really see how F-Zero is 'better' by looking at this video. The track design doesn's seem better and it's hard to tell how the vechicles handle and if driving them and mastering the controls is fun etc. It kind of seems like F Zero ships kind of have less weight to them which makes me think the "driving" mechanics aren't as fun as in Wipeout but that's just a guess . Style-wise Wipeout looks and sounds waaaaay more appealing to me

Endemic

Arcane
Time for some more Berwick Saga.

Not everyone makes a good knight:

vYwgv9U.jpg

Reflected by the fact every playable female unit (bar one) in the game is biased towards the speed stat rather than defense or attack. But that's okay, because you can make Enid a kick-ass mage instead after some training:

AzlwnxO.png

The Eagle Brace gives a small but welcome boost to accuracy.

Let's take a closer look at that spell:

EENTvZ8.png

You can see why it's limited to 10 uses (24 total, counting the remaining 7 chapters in the game - 1 chapter can consist of multiple battles).

xi96ztR.png

Fire > ice.

F1GUELZ.png

Observe the power of Saint Leia.

0jifS5U.png

Terminated.

pLaslNg.png

Excellent, more magic (considering the low stat caps and growths in this game, every point counts).

Melcar

Arcane
Nintendo emulators run much better than PS emulators. After all the Switch already has a near stable emulator.
Since GX is for the GameCube you'll have to use Dolphin. IMO, GX is still better and harder than the newer Wipeouts.

And the OST is definitively better:

Wipeout games imo have much better music than the stuff you posted.

EDIT:

I know. And the first line of my post was directed at the OST. The EDIT, was the one direct at the games themselves.

Alright fair enough.

Here's a comparison between F-Zero GX (GameCube) and WipEout HD (PS3).

I have played both series. Not all entries, but enough to consider myself a fan of both. I prefer Wipeout in terms of style/setting, track layout, and music. Wipeout always seems to have a more Industrial and gritty cyberpunkish look, while F-Zero was just a more light futuristic hover craft racer with a rather bland style in comparison (Extreme G had them beat both in terms of style in my opinion). I always found Wipeout games harder to master, with the crafts having actual physics to them and the race tracks being more creative in their layout (in terms of curves and bends). F-Zero tracks just seemed on average more straight forward and not as difficult to maneuver (which often leads to a greater sense of speed). Wipeout was famous for including samples of music by popular Electronic bands along with their generic techno tunes, so it really depends on your preferences.
Right now I'm having a blast with BallisticNG and I'm being reminded how not so easy it was to master the tracks and hovercrafts in Wipeout. Redout I think had the same problem as F-Zero, which prompted me to just set it aside.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
F-Zero was just a more light futuristic hover craft racer with a rather bland style in comparison

F-Zero style is reminiscent of American comic books:

F-Zero.jpg
serveimage

And like you said, F-Zero is a Futuristic setting (which I think it suits better this type of game).

I always found Wipeout games harder to master, with the crafts having actual physics to them and the race tracks being more creative in their layout (in terms of curves and bends). F-Zero tracks just seemed on average more straight forward and not as difficult to maneuver (which often leads to a greater sense of speed).

Now this is where I strongly disagree. F-Zero is infamous for being very difficult.
WipEout tracks are more narrow and posses more curves, while in GX the tracks have much less rails and more sharp turns.
Sure GX has wider tracks but that's because you're running against 29 other cars and because you go much much faster - if you play really well at Wipeout you barely reach supersonic speed, while in GX if you play really well you can reach Mach 3. And imagine making sharp turns whithout any rails at 1500km/h while other cars bump into you, pushing you, damaging your shield and momentarily making you lose control of your car. You have much more precise and careful as single mistake can take you from the top to the bottom in an instant, or taking you off course which will immediately retire you, or even destroy your car.

Further comparison:

I think it's obvious in terms of Skill Cap, GX is the winner.

Also even the dude that recorded the comparison video in my earlier post, stated in the video description that GX is much harder to play.

I don't really see how F-Zero is 'better' by looking at this video.

Then play it. It's just 1.2Gb (download it at Portal Roms). And Dolphin is very light and well optimized.
Also while you're at it you could look into some other Nintendo classics.

Last edited:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
F-Zero was just a more light futuristic hover craft racer with a rather bland style in comparison

F-Zero style is reminiscent of American comic book:

F-Zero.jpg
serveimage

And like you said, f-Zero is a Futuristic setting (which I think it suits better this type of game).

I always found Wipeout games harder to master, with the crafts having actual physics to them and the race tracks being more creative in their layout (in terms of curves and bends). F-Zero tracks just seemed on average more straight forward and not as difficult to maneuver (which often leads to a greater sense of speed).

Now this is where I strongly disagree. F-Zero is infamous for being very difficult.
WipEout tracks are more narrow and posses more curves, while in GX the tracks have much less much and more sharp turns.
Sure GX has wider tracks but that's because you're running against 29 other cars and because you go much much faster - if you play really well at Wipeout you barely reach supersonic speed, while in GX if you play really well you can reach Mach 3. And imagine making sharp turns whithout any rails at 1500km/h while other cars bump into you, pushing you, damaging your shield and momentarily making you lose control of your car. You have much more precise and careful as single mistake can take you from the top to the bottom in an instant, or taking you off course which will immediately retire you, or even destroying your car.

Further comparison:

I think it's obvious in terms of Skill Cap, GX is the winner.

Also even the dude that recorded the comparison video in my earlier post, stated in the video description that GX is much harder to play.

I don't really see how F-Zero is 'better' by looking at this video.

Then play it. It's just 1.2Gb (download it at Portal Roms). And Dolphin is very light and well optimized.
Also while you're at it you could look into some other Nintendo classics.

i just want to thank you for your service

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wipeout games imo have much better music than the stuff you posted.

I remember being blown away by Wipeout 2097's soundtrack. I wasn't even that into electronic music at the time, but it was crazy to be hearing tracks that my brother would by playing on CD, in a game. At the time it was a crazy novelty to me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom