Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pratchett loved oblivion and helped with mod

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Can empathize with his loved ones, cause my grandfather was chased away from this world by same ugly disease. Can empathize with his suffering too, cause one of my first 'RPG' experiences was ES: Oblivion too and I also tried really hard to forget it but luckily or not (it's really hard to measure which evil is heavier burden upon your soul, Alzheimer or memories of Oblivion) like old, forgotten bubble gum beneath school desk which simply won't fall of so are my memories of storming from Tiber Septim Hotel, leaving behind room full of empty skooma bottles and running naked in only Jesus underwear, daedric helmet and boots through streets of Imperial City being chased by guards, forever sticked to my brain, until Death deletes me as I have Oblivion from my hard drive long ago.

Terry Pratchett, you unforgettable bastard, thank you for memorable stories from your books, they're worthy of remembering!

Astral Rag

Arcane
Fortunately the man also played good games:

“Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...”

Okagron

Prophet
Absolutely retarded. Bloodlines is unplayable without mods -- vanilla is completely broken. Codex says its the 6th best RPG ever made.
Bloodlines doesn't need mods, it just needs an unofficial patch. All it does is fix bugs and NOTHING else. It doesn't rework cores of the game like gameplay, the skill system, the dialogue system, nothing to its core. Meanwhile, people say Oblivion is good with mods that basically make it into an entire different game. The gameplay, the level scaling, the dialogue system, even those shitty minigames. That means the game can only be good by making it into an entire different game.

And if you wanna call the unofficial patch a mod, that's one. That's a single one. Oblivion needs several, probably dozens to not make it into a shitshow.

You are a fucking idiot to even come up with such a flimsy "argument".

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
You know what?
While I wait for the Skyrim situation to settle (meaning wait for Ultimate Skyrimto come out, or Requiem to be ported to SE, or something like that), I might try a run with heavily modded Oblivion.

I assume THAT scene has settled, by now, HarveyBirdman?
I hear there a couple of good overhauls that work well together. How good is modded Oblivion?

Okagron

Prophet
I call being able to finish the game a part of the core experience, if not the core experience.
Implying people didn't complete the game with just vanilla (i know a lot of people that did, so it seems you are just talking out of your ass or didn't actually played the game). Meanwhile, i need mods for Oblivion to fix the gameplay, the level scaling, the quest markers, the dialogue, the minigames, and pretty much everything. Oblivion is pretty much a trainwreck that requires an huge list of mods to make the game just playable. Not just improve it, just make it playable and also make it resemble an actual RPG.

So when you say i need mods to fix major cores of the game, that just tells me the game is absolute shit and i shouldn't even bother. So fucking stop with these shitty arguments for Oblivion.

Okagron

Prophet
Might as well play a good game at that point instead of heavily modding a terrible game. Saves me the trouble of having to download several mods that probably will conflict each other or make the game crash prone.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Okagron, take a deep breath and step away from the computer. In the meantime, I will play one of the most fun, well-designed, and commercially successful RPGs of all time. And I'll do it on vanilla without having to cross my fingers for a 50/50 shot of being able to actually finish the game.

Modded Oblivion actually works ok due to quests/factions being reasonably good. In a voice acted game those are the hardest part to fix via mods, so Oblivion got lucky in that they're the one part it did fairly well. Sure, everything else is trash, but fortunately it's moddable trash.

As opposed to Skyrim where you can mod it as much as you like but the factions and quests will still be irredeemable dogshit.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fallout 4
Post-Nuclear Skyrim? Sure, if your RPG definition is looser then Ukranian pussy and fun games bore you. It's a pinnacle of Bethesda's downfall. Until F76, at least

Shitposting on Codex seems to be your favourite RPG according to shit trail you leave in this and other similar Oblivion threads. At least it's not time spent in Fallout 4. Codex will keep you on the path to incline and one day you might become semi-quality, not-that-obvious shitposter. Keep workin on the craft!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Meanwhile, people say Oblivion is good with mods that basically make it into an entire different game. The gameplay, the level scaling, the dialogue system, even those shitty minigames. That means the game can only be good by making it into an entire different game.

Oblivion needs some tweaks, it doesn't need to become completely different. Wesp's plus patch also contains tweaks that some would say make it more :balance: ymmv

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I never bothered with Oblivion. I installed it once and made it outside of the tutorial dungeon, but didn't bother to keep going. The game may actually be fun, but I will never know. I'm tired of Bethesda games, they are way too big for their own good.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Oblivion was great modded. Unfortunately, it was literally the most crash prone game I ever played after using the mods I wanted to use. It was guaranteed to crash after using up a certain amount of memory. You could even use system hardware memory monitors to predict almost the exact moment it would crash. The 4GB patch helped but not much. I think I played that companion mod that Terry helped on, and liked it... before it crashed my Oblivion experience.

Alex

Arcane
never read his books

His early Discworld books were a fun take on pulp fantasy. They were full of humour but not so much that they stopped being pulp fantasy fiction themselves.

Later on (actually not much later on), he started focusing more and more on making parallels between Discworld and modern world stuff, peppering the books with musings about science, theology and philosophy. I would say there is a sharp drop in quality here, but the books still can be a fun reading, since Pratchett knew how to present a good story and make his characters interesting. His musings aren't worth the time, but at least he usually presents them in an interesting way. I haven't read any of his books that are not set in Discworld, so I can't comment that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom