Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Funcom DUNE games.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
https://wccftech.com/funcom-develop-games-dune-universe/

https://investors.funcom.com/funcom...ndary-studios-for-games-in-the-dune-universe/

Funcom has entered into an exclusive partnership with Legendary Studios to develop games based on the works of Frank Herbert’s DUNE, one of the world’s best known science fiction universes with multiple adaptations into movies, games and other media.

This is a six year partnership to release at least three titles on the PC/Console platforms, with one of the games planned to be in the “Open World Multiplayer” genre that will enter into pre-production in Funcom’s Oslo studio during 2019.

Entering into this partnership is in line with the company’s strategy of working with strong Intellectual Properties, allowing for two different vast and well known universes – CONAN and DUNE – to be available for the Company’s games.

A gay survival/battle royale game? New RTS if the Conan game does well?
Or perhaps that single player RPG that bylam has been desperate to make for donkeys years?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, I wonder if Funcom could get the moron license holders to put Dune 2 and the other old Dune games on GOG.

"We'd like these classic titles to be available to the public again to help promote our new games."

bylam Make it happen

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I wonder...
The Petroglyph guys doing Conan Unconquered are also, naturally, the Dune 2 guys (former Westwood). I guess it depends where the rights are and how complicated it is (and whether Legendary see the value in chasing it down).

As for the games - too early to say anything more than what has been said. I'll probably be splitting my time between DUNE pre-production and the current Conan single-player (not an RPG sorry), so I'll see what I can share when I can.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, I wonder if Funcom could get the moron license holders to put Dune 2 and the other old Dune games on GOG.
according to gog they tracked that family members hold license and they were not interested in money, just wanted for old & dead stuff to stay dead. With gog message/angle being about availability, im not sure what would be the angle to change owners mind.

I'm aware of that. My thinking is that when a publisher making an actual new game gets involved they might be persuaded otherwise.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
the Dune 2 guys (former Westwood)
50248135_10155979228403730_5017122225271078912_n.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
according to gog they tracked that family members hold license and they were not interested in money, just wanted for old & dead stuff to stay dead. With gog message/angle being about availability, im not sure what would be the angle to change owners mind.

I guess it depends where the rights are
family

I'm aware of that. My thinking is that when a publisher making an actual new game gets involved they might be persuaded otherwise.

Send an email to Frank Herbert's son. Ask him what the go is.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
But why MMO? Please make single player RPG Dune game.

Remember it is at *least* three games according to the press release. We're likely not to make 3 Dune Open world MP games (Don't conflate that with MMO, btw)

A lot of room under that blanket of MP Open World - from a co-op skyrim type game to a Mount and Blade style game to a more traditional MMO or survival game. There is a lot of room for discussion and it really is the kind of thing we hammer out in pre-production.

a dune mmo could work as a star wars galaxies remake: a very social and crafting oriented game with the "hidden path to kwisatz haderach" system. with no fucking cubes.

Can't wait for the crafting open world survival Dune with wacky weapons, as well as the Battle Royale mode. :roll:

a dune mmo could work as a star wars galaxies remake: a very social and crafting oriented game with the "hidden path to kwisatz haderach" system. with no fucking cubes.
Since it's [current year], every single player would be the Kwisatz Haderach, therefore it would be impossible to become the Kwisatz Haderach.

There's no way they're making an MMO. It's gonna be a low effort survival pastiche with Fremen tribes vs. Harkonnen or some shit.

the point is not being THE kwisatz haderach. there's plenty of space for any count fenrings. also it fits the fremen culture with preachers and prophets aplenty and tribes at each other's throats. the aim of the pvp is to be THE kwisatz haderach among all the false prophets. after all, who really is it? paul? leto? miles?
low effort? other than the issue of traveling i had all the details ironed out in a matter of 3 minutes, everything doable with 20 years old technology and knowledge.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A lot of room under that blanket of MP Open World - from a co-op skyrim type game to a Mount and Blade style game to a more traditional MMO or survival game.

What I'd love to see from you guys is something truly original. Just as much as the first Dune by Cryo was. Something buckling genres and blowing minds. Your kind of creativity coupled with the awesome Herbert's world...that'd be something this day and age sorely needs.

Hellraiser

Arcane
What I'd love to see from you guys is something truly original. Just as much as the first Dune by Cryo was. Something buckling genres and blowing minds. Your kind of creativity coupled with the awesome Herbert's world...that'd be something this day and age sorely needs.

Grand strategy focusing on noble houses vying for power across the known universe but not on Arrakis itself. The shit the early part of the first novel was about, sending raiding parties at Harkonnen spice silos on Giedi Prime, buying the services of Facedancers. Arranging marriages, gaining the favour of the emperor, guild, bene gesserit and other important factions. Bribing or otherwise manipulating the actions of the Landsraad so that it acts in your favour.

After GoT and CK2 there should be quite an audience for this kind of game even if the titular desert planet is just part of the backstory but not the focus. The politics were one of the best parts of Dune and this layer is very underused.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Dune is perpetually doomed to piss-poor adaptations. It's a curse at this point. The game could have an all-star dev team and unlimited budget, and would still probably end up with quality like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
After GoT and CK2 there should be quite an audience for this kind of game even if the titular desert planet is just part of the backstory but not the focus. The politics were one of the best parts of Dune and this layer is very underused.

Yep, Paradox already dropped the ball and shat the bed by making their space game a generic POS 4X, but it doesnt take a genius to see that CK2 in space WITH official Dune license would be amAAAzing!!

Of course the odds of getting anything like this from Funcom are low/non-existent...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Remake the Cryo game. Put a realtime 3D engine for the first person view and rework the puzzles, dialogs, everything. Enhance the strategy component of the game. That's all you need to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom