Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These MM6 dungeons are no joke. The "Might and Magic is easy RPG for kids" thing obviously doesn't apply to this entry either, unless I'm doing things way out of order. Currently creeping through Colargol's Estate, the layout of which is very pleasant for the man with many cheeses, with lots of nice long shooting lanes (or "hallways", if you will) in which to pelter meandering ghosts with enough arrows to outfit a small army.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
MM 3-5 are kids' stuff, 1, 2 and 6 are not.

The "kids stuff" is MM8 (9 is nobody's stuff ), 7 is about the same difficulty as 3 i think, although for me Isles of terra was harder due to Ludwig's mod (monsters have higher chances to apply status, among other goodies ).

Xeen is only too easy if you cheese Clouds with Darkside's quests (Ludwig's mod fixes that too ).

Playing Mandate of Heaven with TCC on insane difficulty and i have to admit, it's really tough and i can't put my hands on meteor shower, this game is cruel !

By the way, party level 27, i love the mod, besides the retarded intro / logo.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
P9MD6En.jpg

Is this kind of glitches (look at the stairs) present on Windows? It's the GOG version patched GrayFace 2.1.

(I don't know why imgur added that white border)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My bad, i'm getting it too with Winbug 8.

That said, i remember display glitches being far worse around release.

Fuck, looks my Paladin promotion quest in TCC is fucked because i did a main quest "too early", apparently, i'll get it "for free" later on (looks like i'm going to get robbed of MY xp ! )

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
These MM6 dungeons are no joke. The "Might and Magic is easy RPG for kids" thing obviously doesn't apply to this entry either, unless I'm doing things way out of order. Currently creeping through Colargol's Estate, the layout of which is very pleasant for the man with many cheeses, with lots of nice long shooting lanes (or "hallways", if you will) in which to pelter meandering ghosts with enough arrows to outfit a small army.

M&M 6-8 are not easy because dungeons are easy but because it's almost impossible to get completely screwed in those games unless you do something very dumb or venture into a very-high level area on accident. Whenever fights get messy you can just turn around and dart out of the dungeon since your party is faster than most monsters. Later on escaping gets even easier.

Mightmagic

Augur
6 is way the hell harder than 3-5; Xeen combat is popamole in comparison to Mandate.
I haven't find that M&M 6 was difficult because the very bad AI + 3d environnement allow to win without difficulty.
M&M games since M&M3 are not difficult games.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Once again I am thankful for being bad at games. I love being challenged by stuff that's designed to be challenging. Dunno what I'd do if I weren't.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I play mostly turn-based. Do people not do that? It feels more effective for arrow-pelting, as enemies don't advance too quickly and it's easy to hit real-time, turn around and run away a little to get some distance once they get too close. Back-pedalling is too slow.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Do you think it's a good idea (in MM6) to train magic skills in the case of archers? Quite often (typically in dungeons) it's difficult to avoid getting in close combat, and it looks unfun to me to have my archer using plain close combat weapons to stay effective when she could use spells. Will she be able to get enough skill points to Master elemental magic skills (Earth, for example)?

And could you confirm this - Air Magic does NOT require investing a specific amount of skill points for a character to become a Master in it, only 4000 gold and Arch Mage status, right?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fire magic at master level for the archer seems mandatory to me for fireball / meteor shower and incineration, water is quite useful for extra Lloyd's Beacons, i'd skip earth for him even if mass distortion is a must and air might not be that useful either.

Still, high level weapon skills don't get you anything significant so i'd get all 4 magic schools to master level with my archer anyway, in fact, that's what i'm doing with my current party.

it's easy to hit real-time, turn around and run away a little to get some distance once they get too close

Nope !
Once they get too close (if they dare) is when they die in agony ...

Luzur

Good Sir

M&M 6-8 are not easy because dungeons are easy but because it's almost impossible to get completely screwed in those games unless you do something very dumb or venture into a very-high level area on accident. Whenever fights get messy you can just turn around and dart out of the dungeon since your party is faster than most monsters. Later on escaping gets even easier.

Or, get enemies stuck on torches, slopes or furnitures, and snipe them from a safe distance with arrows. (it works wonders with Q, in his little torch filled room in the star lake temple.)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Do you think it's a good idea (in MM6) to train magic skills in the case of archers? Quite often (typically in dungeons) it's difficult to avoid getting in close combat, and it looks unfun to me to have my archer using plain close combat weapons to stay effective when she could use spells. Will she be able to get enough skill points to Master elemental magic skills (Earth, for example)?

And could you confirm this - Air Magic does NOT require investing a specific amount of skill points for a character to become a Master in it, only 4000 gold and Arch Mage status, right?
The best combat spell is sparks,with mage and archer you could clean a lot of enemies by putting it on quick cast. I also use it to kill fire dragons. The other great combat spell is fireblast. The first two that you should get to master are air and water for the town portal. A good early skill to max is the merchant one,leveling is very expensive later on.

huntsman1899

Literate
How do the dungeons of MM7 compare to 6? I've heard they are smaller, but is there any more depth to them as far as puzzle solving or role playing? Or just more killing/looting with a few random switches?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How do the dungeons of MM7 compare to 6? I've heard they are smaller, but is there any more depth to them as far as puzzle solving or role playing? Or just more killing/looting with a few random switches?
They are not exactly smaller,they are smaller than the biggest dungeon in MM6. Many retards forget that MM6 also had a lot of small dungeons. The MM6 are more of random rooms filled with monsters like castle Darkmoor,while MM7 are more logically put together. Both games are great tho,even MM8 is great. If you like one of them,you will like the others too....unless you are an edgy grandpa pretending to like games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom