Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder what Todd will be streamlining this time around...
Armors will be one piece, no more boots gauntlets and helmets. Each perk tree will be a straight line and all weapons will be replaced by waffle-bats, unless you of course buy an exclusive DLC which replaces them with weapon models of skyrim. No more quest markers, your player will be instantly teleported to the location and patted on the back. Then you'll get an achievement. Somehow most of the monster files will start with Fallout76 and now there are Fallout 4 guns.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Armors will be one piece, no more boots gauntlets and helmets.

There was this game called "Ascension to the Throne". And this game had only 4 equipment slots for the character, and only 1 of them was for armor. That's right. The armor was always a full set. I found it hilarious back then - but...

...BUT... meanwhile I don't find it that hilarious anymore. In fact when I look at various RPGs again I often come to the conclusion that the many armor pieces (individual protection for hands, lower arms, upper arms, feet, lower legs, upper legs, lower body, upper body, head) are more of a "show" than have a real effect. You don't really feel the impact of 15 armor pieces in combat, unless you replace your whole armor with something of higher value anyways. Thus I came to the conlusion that the so called "fidelity" is kinda redundant. You might as well just buy a whole new set of pieces... or have only 1 armor piece anyway. I realized this even more in party based games, when you have to repeat this equipment procedure for every character, but your resistance in combat hardly improves when you just exchange 1-2 pieces.

So I actually endorse this idea...give me that full leather armor, that full elven armor, that full steel armor, that full daedra armor, that full glass armor, that full dwarven armor all in one piece.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
the many armor pieces (individual protection for hands, lower arms, upper arms, feet, lower legs, upper legs, lower body, upper body, head) are more of a "show" than have a real effect.
1) fashion
2) enchantments
3) body part damage

ad 1) A mixed armor set does not really look fashionable. Therefore people mostly stick with 1 type of armor only, and it also sometimes gives extra bonus to wear armor of only 1 type (Dragon Age).
ad 2) Let me add multiple enchantments on my single armor piece (instead of only 1 enchantment like in Skyrim) and it's the same effect. Especially in TES it would encourage to learn alchemy.
ad 3) Which game makes really use of it other than just a random text line? So you have a leather armor on your leg which gives only 2 resistance instead of a bronze armor which gives 3 resistance? Will you now attack only the legs? Will the enemy only attack the legs? I mean come on... this is "mental cinema" but nothing else. There is really not much gain compared to simplified single armor set.

user

Savant
Armors will be one piece, no more boots gauntlets and helmets. Each perk tree will be a straight line and all weapons will be replaced by waffle-bats, unless you of course buy an exclusive DLC which replaces them with weapon models of skyrim. No more quest markers, your player will be instantly teleported to the location and patted on the back. Then you'll get an achievement. Somehow most of the monster files will start with Fallout76 and now there are Fallout 4 guns.

I think they have mastered the art of copy/pasting with Fallout 76, so at least some Fallout weapon effects on spells sound legit.

Armor pieces are a good guess as well
Todd: “Yeah, spellcrafting armor pieces are a real wildcard. Something that we’ve done a lot. And there are pluses and minuses to them. We’d like to find… we have some ideas that we really like on how to solve that, and I don’t know where that’s going to go. But the thing that we DON’T like about the previous systems that we’ve done, is it becomes very spread-sheety.....

user

Savant
the many armor pieces (individual protection for hands, lower arms, upper arms, feet, lower legs, upper legs, lower body, upper body, head) are more of a "show" than have a real effect.
1) fashion
2) enchantments
3) body part damage

ad 1) A mixed armor set does not really look fashionable. Therefore people mostly stick with 1 type of armor only, and it also sometimes gives extra bonus to wear armor of only 1 type (Dragon Age).
ad 2) Let me add multiple enchantments on my single armor piece (instead of only 1 enchantment like in Skyrim) and it's the same effect. Especially in TES it would encourage to learn alchemy.
ad 3) Which game makes really use of it other than just a random text line? So you have a leather armor on your leg which gives only 2 resistance instead of a bronze armor which gives 3 resistance? Will you now attack only the legs? Will the enemy only attack the legs? I mean come on... this is "mental cinema" but nothing else. There is really not much gain compared to simplified single armor set.

Disagree..

1) There is no reason why a mixed armor set wouldn't look fashionable. Dark Souls is called Fashion Souls for this reason. Even if most people do prefer one type of armor, why shouldn't they have access to more variety?
2) Why would you be against even a little extra customization?
3) There are a few, most recent one being Kenshi (not quite the same genre but still). Positional damage could be a thing. And like Kenshin, probabilities of damage for each part can change depending on the kind of enemy (or spell). Obviously will never happen in a TES game, just saying. Even if it just came down to "mental cinema", if you think about it, most things come down to that in the end.

Wunderbar

Arcane
1) fashion
2) enchantments
3) body part damage
1) it depends on the artist's skill. Some games have fashion in different sets.
2) adding multiple enchantments or a single armor piece that you're going to wear for the whole game is basically the same as buying a perk for your character. May as well remove armor at all, health will determine how much beating can you endure.
3) "random text line" - of course, if you mean only bethesda's games. Body part damage/protection can be good if implemented correctly. In fact, even in bethesda's fallouts crippling someone's arms will result in enemy dropping their weapon, which can be useful tactics when fighting a boss using vats. Not to mention dismemberment system, which can be not just for show (dismembering undeads for tactical advantage, etc).

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
At this point in time, if they removed most rpg elements I would not care. They need to make a good combat system first and foremost.

An open world game with zany combat like M&M Dark Messiah would be the way to go.

They don't have the skills to do that though. TES is doomed to button mashing floaty combat.... Slapping monsters on the head with weapons that hit with the impacting force of an empty cereal box.

msxyz

Augur
I'd say release an empty landmass, the editor and wait for people to fill it with nude NPCs roaming about. It all started with Morrowind; first people modded in better bodies and heads meshes because the in game bodies were horrible. Then people started to ask for more realism, more armors, fantasy chainmail bikinis, etc... The last two Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim in particular, have been all about narcissism. Better bodies, clothes that would make a seasoned brothel madam blush, better textures, better shaders. Honestly, I don't blame Bethesda anymore for streaming their games. For one mod that tries to improve the gameplay there are hundreds that just make the game *prettier* for better or for worse.

Too bad Bethesda will probably won't allow rated content this time (MODs paywall) in order to pander to widest audience possible of SJW retards... and it will be their downfall :smug:

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
hlADzGJ.jpg

First sneak shot. The character model look amazing. The architecture looks like a return to Morrowind!

Child of Malkav

Erudite

They think this will actually make people forget about FO76 or divert the attention from it? It actually pisses me off because they take the myriad of problems, bugs that plague all their games, and show how much they take them seriously as well as their efforts to fix them. This is unbelievable. What's wrong with them? I know. The fact that they exist.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
At this point in time, if they removed most rpg elements I would not care. They need to make a good combat system first and foremost.

An open world game with zany combat like M&M Dark Messiah would be the way to go.

They don't have the skills to do that though. TES is doomed to button mashing floaty combat.... Slapping monsters on the head with weapons that hit with the impacting force of an empty cereal box.

They own the Dark Messiah studio. They own the only people who have the skills to do that :P

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There was this game called "Ascension to the Throne". And this game had only 4 equipment slots for the character, and only 1 of them was for armor. That's right. The armor was always a full set. I found it hilarious back then - but...

...BUT... meanwhile I don't find it that hilarious anymore. In fact when I look at various RPGs again I often come to the conclusion that the many armor pieces (individual protection for hands, lower arms, upper arms, feet, lower legs, upper legs, lower body, upper body, head) are more of a "show" than have a real effect. You don't really feel the impact of 15 armor pieces in combat, unless you replace your whole armor with something of higher value anyways. Thus I came to the conlusion that the so called "fidelity" is kinda redundant. You might as well just buy a whole new set of pieces... or have only 1 armor piece anyway. I realized this even more in party based games, when you have to repeat this equipment procedure for every character, but your resistance in combat hardly improves when you just exchange 1-2 pieces.

So I actually endorse this idea...give me that full leather armor, that full elven armor, that full steel armor, that full daedra armor, that full glass armor, that full dwarven armor all in one piece.

fuck you don't take away my dressup game from my RPGs

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
>photogrammetry
just faceplanted onto my desk in :despair:

photogrammetry is all well and good, but when your first big selling point is "heh, wow guys, El Skyrimo: Segundo Advenimiento" is gonna look great!" then I can tell you right now that the vision for the series continues to gaze down the steep decline preceeding it.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I just got off a Skype call with Todd and here's what he told me.

Everyone at Bethesda is making fun of the fans that are praising them for giving free copies of a game you can buy for $3 from EB games.
Producers, investors, don't want TES 6 being called 'High Rock' because it's stupid
Bethesda is in crisis because they're not implementing space ship flight or battles for Starfield. The game is essentially Fallout on alien worlds.
You still can't climb ladders in TES 6.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Most AAA games with "realistic" graphics doing photogrammetry these days. Their games would look even more dated if they don't do that in the next generation.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Like I said, that's fine. Use photogrammetry. I want the game to look nice.
But think of the timeline here.
>Bethesda has E3 and people get pissed about 76 even existing in the first place, and sadly cling to Blades as a satisfactory holdover
>76 ends up being worse than the worst nightmare Charles Manson ever had
>Bethesda in crisis mode
>Outer Worlds trailer -- Beth is in even greater crisis mode (though now they're probably tugging each other off to images of the Epic logo)
>Anyway, all kinds of backlash for 76 and all the other shit, like nylon bags (what kind of a faggot even buys those anywyay? Whatever, people were pissed)
>Todd kidnaps Hines; tosses him straight into his torture dungeon next to Uncle Ken and Ted Peterson
>Blades gets delayed. They delayed a fucking mobile game. (It sucks by the way, unsurprisingly)
>Beth knows they are years away from Starfield and TES VI. Admitted it today.
>Beth goes into brainstorm mode. "How do we let people know we are on the right track? How do we reassure our fans that we are doing the right thing? What defines our vision as a studio?"
>catching up to other AAA titles in graphics, apparently... by like, 2024.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom