Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, 6-8 are all equally great. My favourite is 7, just because I absolutely love the Light/Dark choice mid-game. What a great feature, why more RPGs haven't done it is beyond me. Nowadays you can only join the Imperials or the Stormcloaks, with a fuckall impact on the rest of the game.

P.S.: Well, I suppose Witcher 2 is one of the exceptions.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How do the dungeons of MM7 compare to 6? I've heard they are smaller, but is there any more depth to them as far as puzzle solving or role playing? Or just more killing/looting with a few random switches?

They're certainly far smaller in 8, there's some small dungeons in 7 but overall, they're ok and some are even too big like these tunnel / mines in the dwarven city.

As far as puzzles go, 3 & 5 are better, 7 is next.

For those saying 8 is on the same level, they didn't replay them all in a row like i just did, 8 is freaking easy, by midgame, you eat dragons for breakfast but maybe that's just me hoarding skill points to pour them into dark magic and one-shooting everything with dragon breath.

The best combat spell is sparks

Well, if your master plan is to wait for the monsters to die of old age, spark is certainly the way to go, otherwise, i would recommend dragon breath, meteor shower, fireball, shrapmetal (extremely lethal is very close combat), mass distorsion for the big ones, incinerate ...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, if your master plan is to wait for the monsters to die of old age, spark is certainly the way to go, otherwise, i would recommend dragon breath, meteor shower, fireball, shrapmetal (extremely lethal is very close combat)
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

Those are shit spells,you have to spend more time resting than playing. Meteor is pretty good for outside,but by this point you are killing them faster with bows. It is good for high level enemies like hydras and dragons. Sparks on master is op,just go close quarters with two casters and everything dies. LoL you can't be seriously that bad at the game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
LoL you can't be seriously that bad at the game.

In MM6, you don't have the extra movement per turn.

So you would be hammered (MP drain, curse, insanity, sleep even) each time you move to get close to your next enemy and as mid-late game dungeons are huge with huge rooms, they're spread out, sparks does shit damage and you need to be very close to your enemies to use spark.

Besides, most monsters have high air resistance.

Then again, i'm not playing in adventurer mode.

But show me a video of yourself clearing efficiently a room full of power liches, high level mages or druids with sparks in MM6 and i'll believe you know what you're talking about and not repeating what we've already read here about sparks.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Never said MM6 was an impossible game, just that it's much harder than anything you find in MM3-5. Even just the early dungeons in MM6, like the temple of Baa, you touch a chest and get insta-raped by skeletons if you don't go to defcon 1 ASAP. When something similar happens in MM3-5, you just calmly facemash each mob group one by one. In the Xeen games there is very rarely a time when you don't one-shot every single enemy in a group and that never happens in MM6.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Who the fuck plays turn based MM 6,are you like 80?!?!?!?!?! Just run to them and give them divine punishment.

Imagine a world where you could switch between RT AND TB?! RT on easy mobs, and then TB during a hard battle...

Its almost like the game devs designed it that way!

/S
Hahahaha nah,never used the TB. Always fun to run the game in a day and do 100%.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hahahaha nah,never used the TB.
Wait, so you never had the pleasure to beat a group of titans at level 5 by shooting four arrows at them, then alternate between pressing fly up/fly down until you can shoot four more?!

Let me guess, you have never cast ring of fire in front of a closed door either.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahahaha nah,never used the TB.
Wait, so you never had the pleasure to beat a group of titans at level 5 by shooting four arrows at them, then alternate between pressing fly up/fly down until you can shoot four more?!

Let me guess, you have never cast ring of fire in front of a closed door either.
The first one i used it a few times,it is a nice cheese thing to do. The other one i used only once,in the final room of the control center,the one with congratulation paper :lol:.

zapotec

Liturgist
Maybe i am doing something wrong, but i found mm6 very easy compared to the third one.
I cannot even leave the starting town without being demolished :oops:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, people saying it's too easy forget that's because they know the easy path through the game and they walk it.

When it's your first time, you run into trouble every corner, same if you ignore the easy path and just walk anywhere you're not supposed to, yet ...

These screamers outside of the first city ... Or the : "Oh no ! bugs" :love:

zapotec

Equip bows, clear the city and some quests first, then venture outside and clear the goblins, maybe don't destroy theirs lairs yet so they'll respawn, even the beginning can be a pain if you're not prepared.

Also, get mountaineering and swimming to walk water and mountain tiles, there's a lot of hidden equipment in the mountains everywhere.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MM6: How is the size of a character's SP pool calculated? Level, class, INT, PER, or a combination? I'd love it if my archer didn't empty out after two Fireballs – not that there's much I can do about it at this point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
MM6: How is the size of a character's SP pool calculated? Level, class, INT, PER, or a combination? I'd love it if my archer didn't empty out after two Fireballs – not that there's much I can do about it at this point.
The class is the main thing,every class have X amount of SP, also INT/PER do give you X amount of points per class but also they decline the more of INT/PER you have. Also SP and HP points are retroactive.
Weren't you pretending to be an old fag,how the fuck you don't know this?

Poseidon00

Arcane
If I were gonna get into Might and Magic, what entry should I start with? Looks like World of Xeen and the Mandate of Heaven are the clear favorites.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If I were gonna get into Might and Magic, what entry should I start with? Looks like World of Xeen and the Mandate of Heaven are the clear favorites.
First game obviously.

The biggest obstacles to getting into MM1 have always been lack of automap and restricted saving (I like mapping by hand so the first one isn't even a con for me, but I can understand finding it daunting, especially since it's a big game). Both have been solved now. DOSBox SVN have save states and they work well with MM1-2, though you should still save properly at an inn whenever possible. And there's a really good mod for MM1-5 (and Wizardry and Bard's Tale) called Where Are We that adds an excellent automap.

Your reward for playing MM1 is that, despite being the first, and rough in some ways, the exploration (the one reason to play an MM game really) is fantastic, among the best in the series. It also has one of the best main quests, in terms of having to put the clues together and figure out what you need to do and what the MQ even is (yes the Gold message spells it out, but by the time you put it together you should have found enough clues and figured it out already).

WOX and MM6 rank quite high and they're fantastic games, but it's no reason not to play the earlier entries. And it's better to play them first, because going back to MM1 UI will be harder after WOX.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Depends on you mate,if you like old school blobbers more then go Xeen,if you more in to more modern type of games go for 6. Just skim trough some videos of the games on YT and see what you like more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom